Parental perceptions regarding healthy behaviours for preventing overweight and obesity in young children: a systematic review of qualitative studies
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 International Association for the Study of Obesity
Volume 11, Issue 5, pages 338–353, May 2010
How to Cite
Pocock, M., Trivedi, D., Wills, W., Bunn, F. and Magnusson, J. (2010), Parental perceptions regarding healthy behaviours for preventing overweight and obesity in young children: a systematic review of qualitative studies. Obesity Reviews, 11: 338–353. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2009.00648.x
- Issue published online: 14 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2009
- Received 1 April 2009; revised 4 June 2009; accepted 3 July 2009
- 3The psychosocial consequences of childhood obesity. Psychologist 2005; 18: 280–283..
- 4World Health Organisation. The Challenge of Obesity in the WHO European Region and the Strategies for Response. Summary. Xiii:14. [WWW document]. URL http://www/euro.who.int/document/E89858.pdf (accessed March 2008).
- 5World Health Organisation. WHO Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health. [WWW document]. URL http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/strategy/eb11344/strategy_english_web.pdf (accessed February 2009).
- 10Parental ability to discriminate the weight status of children: results of a survey. Pediatrics 2007; 120: e112–e119. [WWW document]. URL http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/120/1/e112 (accessed June 2008)., , , , , , , , .
- 11Childhood obesity: prevention, treatment and recommendations for health. Community Pract 2005; 78: 148..
- 15Early life risk factors for obesity in childhood: cohort study. BMJ 2005; 330: 1357. [WWW document]. URL http://www.bmj.com/cgi/rapdipdf/bmj.38470.670903.EOv1 (accessed April 2008)., , , , , , , .
- 16Contribution of early weight gain to childhood overweight and metabolic health: a longitudinal study (EarlyBird 36). Pediatrics 2009; 123: e67–e73. [WWW document]. URL http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/123/1/e67 (accessed January 2009)., , , , , .
- 17Interventions for preventing obesity in children (Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; Issue 3. Art. No.: CD001871. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001871.pub2. [WWW document]. URL http://mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD001871/pdffs.html (accessed April 2008)., , , , , .
- 20The Essential Guide to Doing Research. Chapter 9. Investigating Complexities of the Social World. Sage: London, 2004, p. 124..
- 21What do parents and preschool staff tell us about young children's physical activity: a qualitative study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2008; 5: 66. doi:10.1186/1479-5868-5-66. [WWW document]. URL http://www.ijbnpa.org/content/5/1/66 (accessed January 2009)., , , .
- 22Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Intervention 5.0.1. [Updated September 2008]. The Cochrane Collection 2008. 184.108.40.206. Critical Appraisal. [WWW document]. URL http://www.cochrane-handbook.org (accessed September 2008)., (eds).
- 23Reading qualitative studies. Int J Qual Methods 2002; 1: 1–47., .
- 28Quality in Qualitative Evaluation. A Framework for Assessing Research Evidence. Government Chief Social Researcher's Office: London, 2003., , , .
- 29Meta-Ethnography: Synthesizing Qualitative Studies. Sage: London, CA, 1988., .
- 31Handbook for Synthesising Qualitative Research. Chapter 7. Synthesizing Qualitative Research Findings: Qualitative Metasynthesis. Springer: New York, 2006, p. 199., .
- 32Transforming Qualitative Information: Thematic Analysis and Code Development. Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA, 1998..
- 33Methods for the thematic synthesis of qualitative research in systematic reviews. ESRC National Centre for Research Methods, NCRM Working Paper Series, Number (10/07): 4., .
- 34Nursing Research: Principles and Methods. Glossary. Lippincott: Philadelphia, PA, 1999, p. 705., .
- 35Thematic networks: an analytic tool for qualitative research. Qual Res 2001; 1: 388..
- 42Immigrant families’ perceptions on walking to school and school breakfast: a focus group study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2007; 4:64. [WWW document]. URL http://www.ijbnpa.org/content/pdf/1479-5868-4-64.pdf (accessed July 2008)., , , , ,
- 50Mothers’ perceptions of their control over Their children's diets. Adv Consum Res 2007; 34: 306–311.,
- 55Department of Health and Human Services, Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. Social-Ecological Model. [WWW document]. URL http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/state_programs/se_model.htm (accessed November 2008).
- 56The Ecology of Human Development: Experiments by Nature and Design. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA, 1979..
- 58Government Office for Science. Foresight Tackling Obesities: Future Choices – Project Report. Government Office for Science, London, 2007.
- 61Effective Action Briefing on the Initiation and Duration of Breastfeeding: Effective Action Recommendations. Revised in the Light of Stakeholder Comments – for Final Consultation. National Institute for Health & Clinical Effectiveness, London, 2006., , , , , .
- 63Early intervention of multiple home visits to prevent childhood obesity in a disadvantaged population: a home-based randomised controlled trial (Healthy Beginnings Trial). BMC Public Health 2007; 7: 76. DOI:10.1186/1471-2458-7-76 [WWW document]. URL http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/7/76 (accessed January 2009)., , , , , .