No reprints will be available.
Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomized trials
Version of Record online: 28 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. obesity reviews © 2011 International Association for the Study of Obesity
Volume 12, Issue 8, pages 602–621, August 2011
How to Cite
Padwal, R., Klarenbach, S., Wiebe, N., Birch, D., Karmali, S., Manns, B., Hazel, M., Sharma, A. M. and Tonelli, M. (2011), Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomized trials. Obesity Reviews, 12: 602–621. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00866.x
Marcello Tonelli, the Corresponding Author and Guarantor, has the right to grant on behalf of all authors and does grant on behalf of all authors, a worldwide licence to the Publishers and its licensees in perpetuity, in all forms, formats and media (whether known now or created in the future), to (i) publish, reproduce, distribute, display and store the Contribution, (ii) translate the Contribution into other languages, create adaptations, reprints, include within collections and create summaries, extracts and/or, abstracts of the Contribution, (iii) create any other derivative work(s) based on the Contribution, (iv) to exploit all subsidiary rights in the Contribution, (v) the inclusion of electronic links from the Contribution to third party material where-ever it may be located; and, (vi) licence any third party to do any or all of the above.
Sources of funding: This project was primarily funded by the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technology in Health. Additional support for this work was provided through an Interdisciplinary Team Grant from the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research. Dr Tonelli was supported by a New Investigator Award from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Dr Tonelli and Dr Klarenbach were supported by salary awards from the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research. Dr Tonelli, Dr Padwal, and Dr Klarenbach were supported through an alternative funding plan from the Government of Alberta and the University of Alberta.
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 28 MAR 2011
- Received 1 December 2010; revised 7 January 2011; accepted 17 January 2011
- 5Measured obesity. Adult obesity in Canada: measured height and weight. Nutrition: findings from the Canadian Community Health Survey. Issue No 1. 2005. (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-620-MWE2005001)..
- 6National Obesity Observatory. Epidemiology of morbid obesity. [WWW document]. URL http://www.noo.org/NOO_about_obesity/Morbid_obesity/ from http://www.noo.org/NOO
- 13National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: the Evidence Report. NIH Publication No. 98-4083. National Institutes of Health: Bethesda, MD, 1998.
- 15Bariatric Surgery for Severe Obesity: Systematic Review and Economic Evaluation. Ottawa: Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health. 2010., , , , , , , , .
- 17Estimates of obesity based on self-report versus direct measures. In: Statistics Canada (ed.). Ottawa. Health Rep 2008; 19: 61–76., , .
- 25Publication and related biases. Health Technol Assess 2000; 4: 1–115., , , , .
- 30The Danish Obesity Project. Randomised trial of jejunoileal bypass versus medical treatment in morbid obesity. Lancet 1979; 2: 1255–1258.
- 31A prospective randomized comparison of vertical banded gastroplasty (VBG), loop gastric bypass (GBY) and gastric banding (GB). Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1989; 13: 595, Abst 19., .
- 39Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band increases weight loss compared to dietary treatment: a randomized study (abstract). Obes Surg 1997; 7: 300–301., , .
- 41VBG and adjustable silicone gastric band – A prospective randomized clinical trial (abstract). Obes Surg 1997; 7: 290., .
- 69The effects of laparoscopic vs. open gastric bypass for morbid obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Obes Rev 2010; DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2010.00757.X epub., , , , .