Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
The Pacific Obesity Prevention in Communities project: project overview and methods
Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2011
© 2011 The Authors. obesity reviews © 2011 International Association for the Study of Obesity
Special Issue: The Pacific Obesity Prevention In Communities Project (OPIC)
Volume 12, Issue Supplement s2, pages 3–11, November 2011
How to Cite
Swinburn, B. A., Millar, L., Utter, J., Kremer, P., Moodie, M., Mavoa, H., Snowdon, W., McCabe, M. P., Malakellis, M., de Courten, M., Waqa, G., Fotu, K. F., Roberts, G. and Scragg, R. (2011), The Pacific Obesity Prevention in Communities project: project overview and methods. Obesity Reviews, 12: 3–11. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00921.x
- Issue online: 18 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2011
- Received 18 April 2011; revised 23 June 2011; accepted 23 June 2011
- 1World Health Organization. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO consultation. WHO Technical Report Series: 894. WHO: Geneva, 253 pp, 2000.
- 2Lifestyle Diseases in Pacific Communities. Secretariat of the Pacific Community: Noumea, 2000..
- 4Ministry of Health. A Portrait of Health: Key Results of the 2006/07 New Zealand Health Survey. Ministry of Health: Wellington, 2008.
- 8Evidence for a curriculum review for secondary schools in Fiji. Pac Health Dialog 2006; 13: 97–102., , , .
- 9Members of the Health Behaviour and Lifestyle of Pacific Youth Survey Collaborating Group, Tonga Core Survey Team. Body mass index, physical activity and dietary behaviours among adolescents in the Kingdom of Tonga. Public Health Nutr 2007; 10: 137–144., , , , ,
- 10Lifestyle and Obesity in South Pacific Youth: Baseline Results from the Pacific Obesity Prevention in Communities (OPIC) Project in New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga and Australia. University of Auckland: Auckland, 2008., , , , , et al.
- 11World Health Organization. WHO Reference 2007; Growth Reference Data for 5–19 Years. WHO: Geneva, 2010.
- 12New Zealand Food, New Zealand Children: Key Results of the 2002 National Nutrition Survey. Ministry of Health: Wellington, 2003., , , , .
- 14Ministry of Health. Fiji Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) STEPS Survey 2002. Ministry of Health: Suva, 2002.
- 15Noncommunicable diseases in Pacific Island countries: disease burden, economic costs and policy options. A report prepared for the South Pacific Commission and the World Bank South Pacific Commission, Noumea, 2003..
- 16Healthy Action – Healthy Eating. Oranga Pumau – Oranga Kai. Towards an Integrated Approach to Physical Activity, Nutrition and Healthy Weight for New Zealand. Ministry of Health: Wellington, 2002..
- 18World Health Organization. Workshop on Obesity Prevention and Control Strategies in the Pacific. WHO, Regional Office for the Western Pacific: Manila, 2000.
- 19World Health Organization. Plan of Action for the Western Pacific Declaration on Diabetes 2000–2005. WHO, Western Pacific Region: Manila, 2001.
- 20World Health Organization. World Health Report 2002: Reducing Risks, Promoting Healthy Life. WHO: Geneva, 2002.
- 21National Health and Medical Research Council. Acting on Australia's Weight. NHMRC, Commonwealth of Australia: Canberra, 1997.
- 22Interventions for preventing obesity in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; 3: 1–70., , , , , .
- 31The Pacific OPIC project (Obesity Prevention in Communities) – objectives and designs. Pac Health Dialog 2007; 14: 139–146., , , , , et al.
- 37The Pacific OPIC project (Obesity Prevention In Communities): action plans and interventions. Pac Health Dialog 2007; 14: 147–154., , , , , .
- 42Preventing Childhood Obesity – Evidence, Policy and Practice. Wiley-Blackwell, BMJ Books: West Sussex, 2010., , , (eds).
- 43Nutrition and physical activity in children and adolescents: Report 1: methods and tools. In: (Victoria) DoHS (ed.). Sentinel Site Series. Deakin University: Geelong, 2009. [WWW document]. URL http://www.deakin.edu.au/dro/view/DU:30023891 (accessed February 2010)., , , , , et al.
- 51World Health Organization. Health care decision-making in the Western Pacific Region. Diabetes and the care continuum in the Pacific Island countries. WHO, Regional Office for the Western Pacific, 2003.
- 53Using the Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL) – Version 1. Technical Report 12. Centre for Health Program Evaluation: Melbourne, 2001., , .
- 59The effect of trade and trade policy on diet and health in the Pacific Islands. In: Hawkes C, Blouin C, Henson S, Drager N, Dubé L (eds). Trade, Food, Diet and Health: Perspectives and Policy Options. Wiley-Blackwell: Oxford, 2010, pp. 147–168., .
- 60Using domestic law in the fight against obesity: an introductory guide for the Pacific Geneva. 2003..
- 64Modelling of potential food policy interventions in Fiji and Tonga and their impacts on noncommunicable disease mortality. 2011. doi: 10.1016/j.foodpol.2011.06.001, , , .