Correction Note: The author's name in the HTML version of this article was corrected to Ilana Gershon in January 2014. It had been misspelt as Llana Gershon in the original HTML version, though it was correct in the printed version. The Publisher apologises for any inconvenience caused as a result of this error.
Email my heart: remediation and romantic break-ups
Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2008
© RAI 2008
Volume 24, Issue 6, pages 13–15, December 2008
How to Cite
Gershon, I. (2008), Email my heart: remediation and romantic break-ups. Anthropology Today, 24: 13–15. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8322.2008.00627.x
- Issue online: 25 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2008
- Acland, Charles, (ed.) 2007. Residual media. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 2007. Emerging patterns of American mobile phone use: Electronically-mediated communication in transition. In: Goggin, Gerard and Hjorth, Larisa (eds), Mobile media 2007. Proceedings of an International Conference, University of Sydney, 2–4 July, Chapter 23. and
- 2008. Coming of age In Second Life: An anthropologist explores the virtually human. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1999. Remediation: Understanding new media. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. and
- 1991. Language and symbolic power. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 2007. Special issue on social network sites. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 13(1). and
- 2006. Always already new: Media, history and the data of culture. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press.
- 1999. Cyborgs@Cyberspace . New York : Routledge.
- 2006. The cell phone: An anthropology of communication. Oxford : Berg. and
- 2005. Personal, portable, pedestrian: Mobile phones in Japanese life. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. , and
- 2002. Hanging out in the virtual pub: Masculinities and relationships online. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- Kroskrity, Paul, (ed.) 2000. Regimes of language. Santa Fe : School of American Research Press.
- 2002. The language of new media. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press.
- 1990. When old technologies were new. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 2001. The internet: An ethnographic approach. Oxford : Berg. and
- Rosen, Laurence, (ed.) 1995. Other intentions: Cultural contexts and attribution of inner states. Santa Fe : School of American Research Press.
- 1998. Language ideologies: Practice and theory. New York : Oxford University Press. , and (eds)
- 2000. Haunted media: Electronic media from telegraphy to television. Durham, NC : Duke University Press.
- 1979. Language structure and linguistic ideology. In: Cline, R., Hanks, W. and Hofbauer, C. (eds) The elements: A parasession on linguistic units and levels, pp. 193–247. Chicago : Chicago Linguistic Society.
- 2006. Informationalized affect: The body in Taiwanese digital-video puppetry and COSplay. In: Martin, Fran and Heinrich, Larissa (eds) Embodied modernities: Corporeality, representation, and Chinese cultures, pp. 289–326. Honolulu : University of Hawai'i Press.
- 2007. Remediation and local globalizations: How Taiwan's ‘digital video knights-errant puppetry’ writes the history of the new media in Chinese. Cultural Anthropology 22(2): 285–313.
- 1995. The war of technology and desire at the close of the mechanical age. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press.
- 1995. Life on the screen: Identity in the age of the internet. New York : Simon and Schuster.
- 1994. Language ideologies. Annual Review of Anthropology 23: 55–82. and