Health professionals' knowledge, practice and opinions about fetal alcohol syndrome and alcohol consumption in pregnancy
Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2007
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 29, Issue 6, pages 558–564, December 2005
How to Cite
Payne, J., Elliott, E., D'Antoine, H., O'Leary, C., Mahony, A., Haan, E. and Bower, C. (2005), Health professionals' knowledge, practice and opinions about fetal alcohol syndrome and alcohol consumption in pregnancy. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 29: 558–564. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-842X.2005.tb00251.x
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2007
- Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2007
- Revision requested: May 2005 Accepted: July 2005
- 2The history of alcohol fetopathies (1997). J FAS Int. 2003: e2.
- 6Epidemiology of fetal alcohol syndrome in American Indians, Alaskan Natives and Canadian Aboriginal peoples. Public Health Rep. 1994; 80: 668–74.,
- 7Fetal alcohol effects among North American Indians. Alcohol Health Res World. 1991; 15: 239–48.
- 12A survey of physicians' knowledge regarding awareness of maternal alcohol use and the diagnosis of FAS. BioMed Central Family Prac. 2002; 3(1)., , , ,
- 14Effects of alcohol and tobacco on the fetus - women's knowledge and advice given by doctors. Health Promot J Aust. 1992; 2(3): 32–7.
- 16National Health and Medical Research Council. Is There a Safe Level of Daily Consumption of Alcohol for Men and Women? Recommendations Regarding Responsible Daily Drinking Behaviour. Canberra ( AUST ) : AGPS; 1987.
- 17Australian Paediatric Surveillance Unit. 9th annual report. Sydney ( AUST ) : Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Paediatrics and Child Health Division; 2001., , , , ,
- 18StrattonK, HoweC, BattagliaF, editors. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Diagnosis, Epidemiology, Prevention, and Treatment. Washington ( DC ) : National Academy Press; 1996.
- 19National Health and Medical Research Council. Australian Alcohol Guidelines: Health Risks and Benefits. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2001.
- 20SPSS: Statistical Package for the Social Sciences [computer program]. Version 11.5.0. Chicago ( IL ) : SPSS; 2002.
- 24National Health and Medical Research Council. Is There A Safe Level of Daily Consumption, of Alcohol for Men. and Women? 2nd ed. Canberra ( AUST ) : AGPS; 1992.
- 25United States Departments of Health and Human Services. Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Washington ( DC ) : US DHHS; 2000.
- 26Health Canada. Prevention of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE) in Canada. Joint Statement. Ottawa ( CAN ) : Health Canada; 1996 October. Report No.: H39-348/1996E.