The data collection was partly funded through an Australian Research Council linkage project with the Australian Bureau of Statistics (LP0348733). An earlier version of a part of this paper was presented to the 2007 Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies conference, Forty Years On: Political Transformation and Sustainability since the Referendum and into the Future, and at a seminar given at the University of Wollongong. Comments were generously given by Mike Dillon, Bill Fogarty, Melinda Hinkson, Melissa Johns, Will Sanders, John Taylor and two anonymous referees. While the support of the ABS is appreciated, this paper should in no way be attributed to the ABS.
PROSPECTS FOR ‘CLOSING THE GAP’ IN SOCIOECONOMIC OUTCOMES FOR INDIGENOUS AUSTRALIANS?
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd and the Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand 2009
Australian Economic History Review
Volume 49, Issue 3, pages 225–251, November 2009
How to Cite
Altman, J. C., Biddle, N. and Hunter, B. H. (2009), PROSPECTS FOR ‘CLOSING THE GAP’ IN SOCIOECONOMIC OUTCOMES FOR INDIGENOUS AUSTRALIANS?. Australian Economic History Review, 49: 225–251. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8446.2009.00264.x
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- ABS (2004) Calculating Experimental Life Tables for Use in Population Estimates and Projections of Aboriginal and Torres Straut Islander Australians. Demography Working Paper 2004/3, cat. no. 3106.0.55.003 (Canberra: ABS).
- ABS (2009) Assessment of Methods for Developing Life Tables for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians. Discussion Paper, cat. no. 3302.0.55.002 (Canberra: ABS).
- ABS/Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2005) The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, 2005. Cat. no. 4704.0 (Canberra: ABS).
- 1991) Aboriginal Employment Equity by the Year 2000. CAEPR Research Monograph No. 2 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). , ed. (
- 2004) Practical reconciliation and the new mainstreaming: will it make a difference to indigenous Australians? Dialogue, 23 (2), 35–46. (
- 2000) The Effects of the CDEP Scheme on the Economic Status of Indigenous Australians: Some Analyses Using the 1996 Census. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 195 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). , and (
- 2007) Coercive Reconciliation: Stabilise, Normalise and Exit Aboriginal Australia (Melbourne: Arena). , and , eds (
- 2003) Evaluating Indigenous socioeconomic outcomes in the Reconciliation Decade, 1991–2001. Economic Papers, 22 (4), 1–16. , and (
- 1979) The Economic Status of Australian Aborigines (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press). , and (
- 2005) Indigenous affairs. In: P. Saunders, and J.Walter, eds. Ideas and Influence: Social Science and Public Policy in Australia (Sydney: UNSW Press). , and (
- 1991) From Exclusion to Dependence: Aborigines and the Welfare State in Australia. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 1 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). , and (
- 2005) A historical perspective on Indigenous socioeconomic outcomes, 1971–2001. Australian Economic History Review 45, 273–95. , , and (
- 2001) Principles of Forecasting: A Handbook for Researchers and Practitioners (Norwell: Massachusetts Kluwer Academic Publishers). , ed. (
- 1990) Human capital, fertility, and economic growth. Journal of Political Economy, 98, S12–37. , , and (
- 2007) Does it pay to go to school? The benefits of and participation in education of indigenous Australians (Phd thesis) (Canberra: ANU). (
- 2008) The Scale and Composition of Indigenous Housing Need, 2001–06. CAEPR Working Paper No. 47 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). (
- 2008) Indigenous Participation in Regional Labour Markets – 2001 to 2006. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 288 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). , , and (
- 1979) The Ecology of Human Development (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press). (
- Commonwealth of Australia (2007) National Report to Parliament on Indigenous Education and Training (Canberra: Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations).
- 2003) Reproducing Exclusion or Inclusion? Implications for the Wellbeing of Indigenous Australian Children. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 253 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). , and (
- 1985) The Aboriginal Economy in Town and Country (Sydney, George Allen and Unwin). (
- 1991) Social Indicators of the Aboriginal Population of Australia. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 18 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). , and (
- 2002) A synthetic cohort analysis of labour market outcomes of Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians, 1986–96. Australian Economic Review, 35 (4), 391–404. , and (
- 2004) Trends in spatial inequality, 1996 to 2001. AMP.NATSEM Income and Wealth Report, Issue 8, September (Sydney: AMP Financial Services and the National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling Pty Limited). [Accessed 4 May 2009] Available from URL: http://www.amp.com.au/ampnatsemreports. , , and (
- 1998) Assessing the validity of intercensal comparisons of Indigenous Australians, 1986–96. Journal of the Australian Population Association, 15, 51–67. (
- 1999) Three Nations, Not One: Indigenous and Other Australian Poverty. CAEPR Working Paper No. 1 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). [Accessed 4 May 2009] Available from URL: http://www.anu.edu.au/caepr/. (
- 2000) Social Exclusion, Social Capital and Indigenous Australians: Measuring the Social Costs of Unemployment. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 204 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). (
- 2003) Trends in neighbourhood inequality of Australian, Canadian and US cities since the 1970s. The Australian Economic History Review, 43, 22–44. (
- 2004) Indigenous Australians in the Contemporary Labour Market. ABS cat. No.2052.0 (Canberra: ABS). (
- 2007a) Arguing over [the] remote control: Why Indigenous policy needs to be based on evidence and not hyperbole. Economic Papers, 26, 44–63. (
- 2007b) Cumulative causation and the productivity commission's framework for overcoming indigenous disadvantage? Paper presented at the Australian Social Policy Conference Social Policy Through the Life Course: Building Community Capacity and Social Resilience, 11–13 July, University of New South Wales, Sydney. (
- 1998) Recent changes in the Australian workforce: a focus on the structure of Indigenous employment. Australian Bulletin of the of Labour, 24, 220–40. , and (
- 2004) Indigenous employment forecasts: implications for reconciliation. Agenda: A Journal of Policy Analysis and Reform, 11, 179–92. , and (
- 2004) Indigenous and other Australian poverty: revisiting the importance of equivalence scales. The Economic Record, 80, 411–22. , , and (
- 2003) The Future of Indigenous Work: Forecasts of Labour Force Status to 2011. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 251 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). , , and (
- 1986) Recalling the northern territory cattle station industry award Case of 1965 and the O'Shea Case of 1969. In: H. R.Nicholls Society, ed. Arbitration in Contempt (Melbourne: H.R. Nicholls Society). (
- 2002) Estimating the Components of Indigenous Population Change: 1996–2001. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 240 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). , and (
- 2005) Deriving long-run inequality series from tax data. The Economic Record, 81, S58–70. (
- 1999) Social Determinants of Health (New York: Oxford University Press). , and (
- Northern Territory Government (2007) Closing the Gap of Indigenous Disadvantage: A Generational Plan of Action. Department of the Chief Minister, Darwin. [Accessed 26 March 2008.] Available from URL: http://action.nt.gov.au/plan_of_action/docs/closing_the_gap.pdf.
- 1974) Anarchy, State, and Utopia (New York: Basic Books). (
- 1996) Great Expectations: Microeconomic Reform and Australia (Sydney: Allen and Unwin). (
- 1999) Occasional Paper: Population Issues, Indigenous Australians. Cat. no. 4708.0 (Canberra: ABS). (
- 2002) Improving life expectancy and health status: a comparison of Indigenous Australians and New Zealand Maori. In: G. A.Carmichael, and A.Dharmalingam, eds. Populations of New Zealand and Australia at the Millenium: A Joint Special Issue of the Journal of Population Research and the New Zealand Population Review (Canberra and Wellington: Australian Population Association and Population Association of New Zealand). , and (
- 1998) White Flour, White Power: From Rations to Citizenship in Central Australia (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press). (
- 2002) Indigenous Futures: Choice and Development for Aboriginal and Islander Australia (Sydney: UNSW Press). (
- 1991) Destined to fail: the Hawke government's pursuit of statistical equality in employment and income status between Aborigines and other Australians by the year 2000 (or a cautionary tale involving the new managerialism and social justice strategies). Australian Aboriginal Studies, 1991 (2), 13–8. (
- 1997) Opportunities and Problems Astride the Welfare/work Divide: The CDEP Scheme in Australian Social Policy. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 141 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). (
- 1980) The Aboriginal Population of Australia (Canberra: ANU Press). (
- Steering Committee for the Review of Government Service Provision (2003) Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage: Key Indicators 2003 Report (Melbourne: Productivity Commission).
- Steering Committee for the Review of Government Service Provision (2005) Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage: Key Indicators 2005 Report (Melbourne: Productivity Commission).
- Steering Committee for the Review of Government Service Provision (2007) Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage: Key Indicators 2007 Report (Melbourne: Productivity Commission).
- 1997) The Job Ahead: Escalating Economic Costs of Indigenous Employment Disparity, Office of Public Affairs (Canberra: ATSIC). , and (
- 2008) Locations of Indigenous Population Change: What Can we Say? CAEPR Working Paper No. 43 (Canberra: CAEPR, The ANU). , and (
- 1998) The Job Still Ahead: Economic Costs of Continuing Indigenous Employment Disparity (Canberra: Office of Public Affairs, ATSIC). , and (
- 2000) Progress Towards Closing Social And Economic Gaps Between Maori And Non-Maori: A Report To The Minister Of Maori Affairs (Wellington: Te Puni Kokiri). (
- 2007) The Burden of Disease and Injury in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples 2003 (Brisbane: Centre for Burden of Disease and Cost-Effectiveness, School of Population Health The University of Queensland). , , , and (