Economic development and Indigenous Australia: contestations over property, institutions and ideology*
Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2004
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Volume 48, Issue 3, pages 513–534, September 2004
How to Cite
Altman, J. C. (2004), Economic development and Indigenous Australia: contestations over property, institutions and ideology. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 48: 513–534. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8489.2004.00253.x
- Issue online: 20 SEP 2004
- Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2004
- 2001, ‘Exploring sustainable development options on Aboriginal land: the hybrid economy in the 21st Century’, CAEPR discussion paper no. 226, CAEPR, ANU, Canberra.
- 2002a, ‘The political economy of a treaty: opportunities and challenges for enhancing economic development for Indigenous Australians’, The Drawing Board: An Australian Review of Public Affairs, vol. 3, pp. 65–81.
- 2002b, ‘Enhancing economic development: Governance challenges facing Indigenous communities within Australia's federal system’, paper presented at the conference ‘Indigenous Governance: Understanding and Implementing Good Governance for Indigenous Communities and Regions’, 3–5 April, Canberra. [Online]. Available: http://reconciliation.org.au
- 2003, ‘People on country, healthy landscapes and sustainable Indigenous economic futures: the Arnhem Land case, Drawing Board: An Australian Review of Public Affairs, vol. 4, pp. 65–82.
- 2003a,Sustainable development in the Indigenous-owned savanna: innovative institutional design for cooperative wildlife management’, CAEPR discussion paper no. 247, CAEPR, ANU, Canberra. and
- 2003b, ‘Indigenous interests in water: a. comment on the ‘Water Property Rights Report to COAG from the Water CEOs Group’, discussion paper. [Online]. Available: http://www.anu.edu.au/caepr and
- 2003, ‘Evaluating Indigenous socio-economic outcomes in the Reconciliation decade, 1991–2001, Economic Papers, vol. 22, pp. 1–15. and
- 2000‘CDEP in town and country Arnhem Land: the Bawinanga Aboriginal Corporation case’, CAEPR discussion paper no. 209, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, The Australian National University, Canberra. and
- 1999,Land rights at risk? Evaluations of the Reeves Report’, research monograph no. 14, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, The Australian National University, Canberra. , and (eds)
- 1979, The Economic Status of Australian Aborigines, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. and
- 2001, ‘The Indigenous Land Corporation: an assessment of performance five years on’, Australian Journal of Public Administration, vol. 60, pp. 67–79. and
- Australian Bureau of Statistics 2003, Population Characteristics: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, catalogue no. 4713.0, ABS, Canberra.
- Australian Government 1999, ‘Unlocking the future. the report of the inquiry into the Reeves Review of the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976’, House of Representatives Standing Committee on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs, Canberra.
- Australian State of the Environment Committee 2001, Australia State of the Environment, 2001. CSIRO Publishing on behalf of the Department of Environment and Heritage, Canberra.
- Australian National Audit Office 2002, The Management of Commonwealth National Parks and Reserves ‘Conserving Our Country’, Australian National Audit Office, Canberra.
- 1965, ‘A theory of the allocation of time’, Economic Journal, vol. 75, pp. 493–517.
- 2002, ‘Aboriginal couples at the 2001 Census’, People and Place, vol. 10, pp. 23–28. and
- 1998, The Economics of Women, Men and Work, 3rd edn., Prentice Hall, New Jersey. , and
- Commonwealth Grants Commission 2001, Report on Indigenous Funding 2001, Commonwealth Grants Commission, Canberra.
- 2003, ‘Agricultural and resource economics and economic development in Aboriginal communities’, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, vol. 47, pp. 307–324.
- 2002, Runaway World: How Globalisation Is Reshaping Our Lives, Profile Books, London.
- 1991, ‘The American Dilemma Down Under: a comparison of the economic status of US Indian and Blacks and Aboriginal Australians’, in J.C. Altman (ed.), Aboriginal Employment Equity by the Year 2000, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, The Australian National University, Canberra, pp. 141–154.
- 1997, Welfare and economic progress of indigenous men of Australia and the US 1980–90, Economic Record, vol. 73, pp. 101–119. and
- 2003, The National Recreational and Indigenous Fishing Survey, NSW Fisheries, Sydney. and (eds)
- 2004, Indigenous Australians in the Contemporary Labour Market. ABS catalogue no. 2052.0, ABS, Canberra.
- Industry Commission 1991, Mining and Mineral Processing in Australia, Report no. 7, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra.
- 2002, ‘Exposure to bushfire smoke and asthma: an ecological study’, Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 176, pp. 535–538. , , and
- 2004, Honour Among Nations? Treaties and Agreements with Indigenous People, Melbourne University Publishing, Melbourne. , , and (eds)
- 2001, ‘Racial Justice the Superficial Morality of Color Blindness in the United States’, IED discussion paper series no. 118, Boston University, Boston.
- 2000, Native Title Corporations: a Legal and Anthropological Analysis, Federation Press, Sydney. and
- 1985, ‘Report of the Committee of Review of Aboriginal Employment and Training Programs’, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra. (chair)
- 2001,The Indigenous Welfare Economy and the CDEP Scheme’, Research monograph no. 20, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, The Australian National University, Canberra. and (eds)
- Northern Territory Government 2003, Building Strong Arts Business – Northern Territory Indigenous Arts Strategy, Department of Community Development, Sport and Cultural Affairs, Darwin.
- 2000, Our Right to Take Responsibility, Noel Pearson and Associates, Cairns.
- 2003, ‘Aboriginal intermarriage and economic status in western New South Wales’, People and Place, vol. 10, pp. 11–16. and
- 2001, ‘Indigenous land in Australia: a quantitative assessment of Indigenous land holdings in 2000’, CAEPR discussion paper no. 221, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, The Australian National University, Canberra.
- Productivity Commission 2003, ‘Overcoming Indigenous disadvantage, key indicators 2003’, Report of the Steering Committee for the Review of Government Service Provision, Productivity Commission, Melbourne.
- 2001, ‘Environmental economics and the Murray-Darling river system’, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, vol. 45, pp. 67–94.
- 1998, Building on land rights for the next generation: The Review of the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976, Aboriginal and Torres Strait. Islander Commission, Canberra.
- 1971, ‘The remote Aborigines: Aboriginal policy and practice’, vol. 3,Aborigines in Australian Society No. 7, The Australian National University Press, Canberra.
- 1999, ‘What is anthropological enlightenment? Some lessons of the Twentieth Century’, Annual Reviews in Anthropology, vol. 28, pp. 1–28.
- 1998, Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed, Yale University Press, New Haven, USA.
- 2001, Development as Freedom, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1998, ‘The development of Indigenous knowledge: a new applied anthropology’, Current Anthropology, vol. 39, pp. 223–252.
- 2003, Native Title in Australia: an Ethnographic Perspective, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2001, Economics and Culture, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2001, Towards Sustainability: Emerging Systems for Informing Sustainable Development, UNSW Press, Sydney. and (eds)
- 2002, ‘Land management: the next frontier’, paper presented to the workshop ‘Preparing for the ANAO's Performance Audit of Northern Territory Land Councils and the Aboriginals Benefit Account’, 12–13 February, University House, Canberra.
- 2003, ‘Greenhouse opportunities’, paper presented to the Indigenous Economic Futures Forum, Alice Springs, March. [Online]. Available: http://www.nt.gov.au/dcm/indigenous_policy/indigenous_policy.shtml and
- 2001, ‘Fire ecology and Aboriginal land management in central Arnhem Land, northern Australia: a tradition of ecosystem management’, Journal of Biogeography, vol. 28, pp. 325–344. , , , , , , , and