M. Ejaz Qureshi (Ejaz.Qureshi@csiro.au) is Senior Economist and Policy Analyst in the Policy and Economic Research Unit in Land and Water of CSIRO, Canberra, Jeff Connor is a Senior Economist in the Policy and Economic Research Unit in Land and Water Division of CSIRO, Adelaide, Mac Kirby is a Research Scientist in Land and Water Division of CSIRO, Canberra, Mohammed Mainuddin is a Hydrologist in Land and Water Division of CSIRO, Canberra.
Economic assessment of acquiring water for environmental flows in the Murray Basin*
Article first published online: 7 AUG 2007
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Volume 51, Issue 3, pages 283–303, September 2007
How to Cite
Qureshi, M. E., Connor, J., Kirby, M. and Mainuddin, M. (2007), Economic assessment of acquiring water for environmental flows in the Murray Basin. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 51: 283–303. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8489.2007.00383.x
This paper was produced as part of the CSIRO Flagship Program Water for a Healthy Country. Mike Young, Glyn Wittwer, Lindsay White and Geoff Podger made some valuable comments and provided useful suggestions. We also acknowledge suggestions, comments and recommendations provided by the editors and reviewers of the journal. Editorial assistance provided by David Kaczan is also acknowledged.
- Issue published online: 7 AUG 2007
- Article first published online: 7 AUG 2007
- ABARE (2003). ABARE Farm Survey Report 2002–2003. Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Canberra.
- 2004). Responsiveness of Demand for Irrigation Water: A Focus on the Southern Murray–Darling Basin. Productivity Commission Staff Working Paper, Melbourne, Australia. , and (
- 2001). A Basin Scale Model for Assessing Salinity Management Options: Model Documentation. ABARE Technical working paper 2000.1, Canberra. and (
- 2004). Formal and informal water markets: drivers of sustainable rural communities? Water Resources Research 40, 1–12. (
- 1997). Are rural land practices in the Murray–Darling Basin a threat to the environment? Australian Journal of Soil Research 35, 995–1036. and (
- 2002). Report on Peer Review of SALSA Model. Reap Research, Perth. (
- 2006). Water policy reform in Australia: lessons from the Victorian seasonal water market, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 50, 403–424. (
- 2004). GAMS: A User's Guide. GAMS Development Corporation, Washington, DC. , , and (
- 2004). Quantifying and Valuing Land-Use Change for ICM Evaluation in the Murray–Darling Basin 1996/97–2000/01, CSIRO Land and Water Stage 2 Report. Murray–Darling Basin Commission, Canberra. and (
- CIE (Centre for International Economics) (2004). Implications of Water Reforms for the National Economy. Centre for International Economics, Canberra.
- Council of Australian Governments (COAG) (2003). Intergovernmental Agreement on a National Water Initiative. Council of Australian Governments, Canberra.
- Council of Australian Governments (COAG) (2004). Intergovernmental Agreement on a National Water Initiative. Council of Australian Governments, Canberra.
- Cooperative Research Centre for Freshwater Ecology (CRCFE) (2003). Ecological Assessment of Environmental Flow Reference Points for the River Murray System. Interim report prepared by the Scientific Reference panel for the Murray–Darling Basin Commission, Living Murray Initiative, Canberra University, Canberra.
- 1979). Yield Response to Water: FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 33. Food and Agriculture Organisation, Rome. and (
- 2003). Economic Analysis of Environmental Flow Scenarios in the Murray River System, Stage 1. Final Report prepared for SERP ‘The Living Murray’. Economics and Policy Research Branch Publications, Department of Primary Industries, Victoria. , , and (
- de Fraiture C., and (2002). Why is irrigation water demand irresponsive at low price ranges? World Bank Water Conference, Agadir, Moroco.
- 2002). Determining environmental flow needs and scenarios for the River Murray System, Australia, Australian Journal of Water Resources 5, 61–74. , and (
- 1994). ABARE Model of Irrigation Farming in the Southern Murray–Darling Basin. ABARE Research Report 94.4. Australian Bureau of Agriculture and Resource Economics, Canberra. , and (
- 2001). Targeting Land and Water Use Options for Salinity Management in the Murray–Darling Basin. ABARE report to the Murray–Darling Basin Commission, Canberra. , and (
- 2004). Water charges and interregional trade in the southern Murray–Darling Basin. Establishing Australian Water Markets Symposium. Institute of Public Affairs, Melbourne. , , , and (
- 2004). Modelling the regional and farm-level economic impacts of environmental flows for regulated rivers in NSW, Australia. Agricultural Water Management 66, 77–91. (
- 2000). The Agricultural Impacts of Environmental Flow Rules in the Murrumbidgee Valley. NSW Agriculture, Orange, Australia. and (
- 1999). Limiting pumping from the Edwards Aquifer: an economic investigation of proposals, water markets, and spring flow guarantees, Water Resources Research 35, 1257–1268. , , and (
- Murray–Darling Basin Commission (MDBC) (2001). Integrated Catchment Management in the Murray–Darling Basin 2001–10: Delivering a Sustainable Future. Murray–Darling Basin Commission, Canberra.
- Murray–Darling Basin Commission (MDBC) (2004). The Living Murray: Scoping of Economic Issues in the Living Murray, with an Emphasis on the Irrigation Sector. Murray–Darling Basin Commission, Canberra.
- Murray–Darling Basin Ministerial Commission (MDBMC) (2000). The Salinity Audit of the Murray–Darling Basin: a 100-year Perspective, 1999. The Murray–Darling Basin Ministerial Commission, Canberra.
- Murray–Darling Basin Ministerial Commission (MDBMC) (2002). The Living Murray: a Discussion Paper on Restoring the Health of the River Murray. Murray–Darling Ministerial Commission, Canberra.
- Murray–Darling Basin Ministerial Commission (MDBMC) (2003). Communiqué on the First Step Decision of the Living Murray. Murray–Darling Basin Ministerial Council, Canberra.
- 1988). Murray river salinity: an illustrative model, American Journal of Agricultural Economics 70, 635–645. (
- 1991). Salinity mitigation in the Murray River system, Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics 59, 53–65. (
- 2006). Economic assessment of water trade restrictions in the Murray–Darling Basin. Available from URL: http://www.ecomod.org/files/papers/990.pdf[accessed Dec 2006]. , and (
- 2000). Integrated economic-hydrologic water modelling at the basin scale: the Maipo river basin. Agricultural Economics 24, 33–46. , , , , and (
- URS (2005). Salinity Impact of Water Trade, Review of Water Trade in the Riverine Plains. Prepared for Murray–Darling Basin Commission, Canberra.
- 2002). A Preliminary Assessment of the Economic and Social Implications of Environmental Flow Scenarios for the River Murray. CSIRO Land and Water, Adelaide. , , and (