Glyn Wittwer (email: email@example.com) is a Senior Research Fellow, Centre of Policy Studies, 11th floor Menzies Building, Clayton campus, Monash University, VIC., Australia. Marnie Griffith is a Research Fellow, Centre of Policy Studies, 11th floor Menzies Building, Clayton campus, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia.
Modelling drought and recovery in the southern Murray-Darling basin*
Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. AJARE © 2011 Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society Inc. and Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Volume 55, Issue 3, pages 342–359, July 2011
How to Cite
Wittwer, G. and Griffith, M. (2011), Modelling drought and recovery in the southern Murray-Darling basin. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 55: 342–359. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8489.2011.00541.x
The authors thank the Australian Research Council for funding under project DP0986783.
- Issue online: 3 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2011
- ABARE (Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics) (2009). Australian Commodity Statistics 2009. ABARE, Canberra.
- ABARE–BRS (Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and the Bureau of Rural Sciences) (2010). Environmentally sustainable diversion limits in the Murray Darling Basin: socioeconomic analysis. Report to MDBA, Canberra, October.
- 1998). Economies of scale and imperfect competition in an applied general equilibrium model of Australia, in Arrow, K., Ng, Y.-K. and Yang, X. (eds), Increasing Returns and Economic Analysis. Macmillan Press Ltd., Great Britain and St. Martin’s Press, Inc., New York, pp. 307–334. and (
- ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) (2009a). Experimental Estimates of the Gross Value of Irrigated Agricultural Production, 2000–01 to 2006–07, Catalogue 4610.0.55.008, Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra.
- ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) (2009b). Value of Agricultural Commodities Produced, Australia, 2007–08, Catalogue 7503.0, Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra.
- 2010). Farmers pour scorn on Murray-Darling water blueprint. The Australian, October 13. (
- 2010). Economic Contributions and Characteristics of Grapes and Wine in Australia’s Wine Regions. Wine Economics Research Centre Working Paper No. 0110, University of Adelaide, Adelaide. , , and (
- 1969). The Geographic Pattern of Trade and the Effects of Price Changes, IMF Staff Papers XVI, 176–199. (
- 1970). Adjustment of Trade Balances: Some Experiments with a Model of Trade Among Many Countries, IMF Staff Papers XVII, 488–523. (
- 2002). Dynamic General Equilibrium Modelling for Forecasting and Policy: A Practical Guide and Documentation of MONASH, Contributions to Economic Analysis 256, North-Holland, Amsterdam. and (
- 2010). You can’t have a CGE recession without excess capacity, Economic Modelling 28, 602–613. and (
- 1982). ORANI: A Multisectoral Model of the Australian Economy. Contributions to Economic Analysis 142, North-Holland, Amsterdam. , , and (
- 2010). Modelling the Australian government’s buyback scheme with a dynamic multi-regional CGE model, Monash University, Centre of Policy Studies Working Paper G-186. , and (
- 2011). Saving the Southern Murray-Darling Basin: the economic effects of a buyback of irrigation water, Economic Record 87, 153–168. , and (
- 1983). Drought assistance policy, The Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics 27, 185–199. (
- 1984). AGE analysis of small open economies with scale economies and imperfect competition, American Economic Review 74, 1016–1032. (
- 2004). A practical method for explicitly modeling quotas and other complementarities, Computational Economics 23, 325–341. , , and (
- 1996). Introducing Monopolistic Competition into the GTAP Model. GTAP Technical Paper No. 06. and (
- 2005). Using a highly disaggregated multi-regional single-country model to analyse the impacts of the 2002–03 drought on Australia, Journal of Policy Modelling 27, 285–308. , and (
- 2004). Impact of Russia’s WTO Accession on the Structure of the Russian Economy. Presented at the 7th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis, Washington DC, USA. and (
- 2005). PSR Emissions Trading: An Alternative for Conventional Emissions Trading that would Prevent Carbon Leakage and Protect Exposed Sectors of Industry? Presented at the 8th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis, Lübeck, Germany. and (
- 1987). The Australian economy in the very long run, in Maddock, R. and McLean, I. (eds), The Australian Economy in the Long Run. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 5–29. and (
- National Water Commission (2009). Australian Water Markets Report 2008–2009. National Water Commission, Canberra.
- 1998). Evolution of drought policy and related science in Australia and South Africa, Agricultural Systems 57, 231–258. , and (
- 2010). The economic costs of extreme weather events: a hydro-meteorological CGE analysis for Malawi, Environment and Development Economics 16, 177–198. , , and (
- 2010). The potential effects of changes to water allocation policy on financing the agricultural sector and businesses in the Murray-Darling basin. Report prepared for the Murray-Darling Basin Authority, October. (
- 1991). The economic impact of crop losses: a computable general equilibrium approach, Western Journal of Agricultural Economics 16, 144–155. , and (
- Sunrice (2010). SunRice announces Deniliquin Mill will reopen in 2011, Available from URL: http://www.sunrice.com.au/uploads/MR_-_Deniliquin_Mill_to_Re-open.pdf.
- 2003). An outline of TERM and modifications to include water usage in the Murray-Darling Basin. Available from URL: http://www.monash.edu.au/policy/archivep.htm TPGW0050. (
- 2005). The regional economic impacts of a plant disease incursion using a general equilibrium approach, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 49, 75–89. , and (
- 2006). Without Water: The economics of supplying water to 5 million more Australians, CSIRO Land and Water and Centre for Policy Studies. Available from URL: http://www.myoung.net.au/water/publications/WithoutWater.pdf. , , and (