Andrew F. Reeson (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) and Thomas G. Measham are at CSIRO Minerals Down Under Flagship, Canberra, ACT, Australia. Andrew F. Reeson,Thomas G. Measham and Karin Hosking are in Social and Economic Sciences Program,CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences, Canberra, ACT, Australia.
Mining activity, income inequality and gender in regional Australia*
Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. AJARE © 2012 Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society Inc. and Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Special Issue: Mineral and Energy Policies
Volume 56, Issue 2, pages 302–313, April 2012
How to Cite
Reeson, A. F., Measham, T. G. and Hosking, K. (2012), Mining activity, income inequality and gender in regional Australia. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 56: 302–313. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8489.2012.00578.x
The authors are grateful to Rachel McCrea, Ryan McAllister, Kieren Moffat and Jim West for advice and support
- Issue online: 27 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2012
- ABARES (2010). Australian Commodity Statistics 2010. Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences, Canberra.
- ABS (2005) Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC). ABS Catalogue No. 1216.0. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra.
- ABS (2008). An Introduction to Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA). ABS Catalogue No. 2039.0. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra.
- ABS (2010) CDATA online. http://www.abs.gov.au/CDataOnline. Accessed August 2010.
- 2008). Kuznets inverted-U hypothesis revisited: a time-series approach using US data, Applied Economics Letters 15, 677–681. and (
- 2006). A typology of socio-economic advantage and disadvantage in Australia’s large non-metropolitan cities, towns and regions, Australian Geographer 37, 233–258. (
- 2005). Fault Lines Exposed: Advantage and Disadvantage across Australia’s Settlement System. Monash University Epress, Melbourne. , and (
- 1999). Marital conflict and men’s leisure: how women negotiate male power in a small mining community, Journal of Sociology 35, 60–76. (
- 1982). Booming sector and de-industrialisation in a small open economy, The Economic Journal 92, 825–848. and (
- 2009). The mining boom: challenges and opportunities for small businesses in regional South Australia, Australasian Journal of Regional Studies 15, 355–372. and (
- 2011). The relationship between mining and socio-economic well being in Australia’s regions, Resources Policy 36, 30–38. , and (
- 2000). The relationship between job and life satisfaction: evidence from a remote mining community, Human Relations 53, 807–839. and (
- 1955). Economic growth and income inequality, American Economic Review 45, 1–28. (
- 2009). Coal mining and the resource community cycle: a longitudinal assessment of the social impacts of the Coppabella coal mine, Environmental Impact Assessment Review 29, 330–339. , , , and (
- 2010). Women living in a remote Australian mining community: exploring their psychological well-being Australian, Journal of Rural Health 18, 125–130. and (
- 1991). Income Distribution in Australian Local Communities 1976–1986. Office of Local Government, Canberra. , and (
- 2000). The Australian Mining Industry from Settlement to 2000, Special Article Cat no. 8414.0. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra. , and (
- MMSD (2002). Breaking new ground: mining, minerals, sustainable development final report. International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD).
- 2010). The environmental sustainability of mining in Australia: key mega-trends and looming constraints, Resources Policy 35, 98–115. (
- 2009). Mining developments and social impacts on communities: Bowen Basin case studies, Rural Society 19, 211–228. , , and (
- 2009). The Benefits of the Mining Boom Where Did They Go? Technical Brief No. 3. The Australia Institute, Canberra. (
- 2007). Lessons from the social and economic impacts of the mining boom in the Bowen Basin 2004–2006, Australasian Journal of Regional Studies 13, 134–153. , , and (
- 2010). Minerals and Energy Resources Sector in Queensland Economic Impact Study. The Eidos Institute, Brisbane. , , , and (
- 2008). Australia’s resource use trajectories, Journal of Industrial Ecology 12, 669–685. , , , , and (
- 2007). Consideration of the determinants of women’s mental health in remote Australian mining towns, Australian Journal of Rural Health 15, 1–7. and (
- 2008). Social dimensions of mining: research, policy and practice challenges for the minerals industry in Australia, Resources Policy 33, 142–149. , and (
- 2001). Dividing societies: the socio-political spatial implications of restructuring in Australia, Australian Geographical Studies 39, 198–216. (
- 2007). Key industries in Australia’s tropical savanna, Australasian Journal of Regional Studies 13, 255–286. and (
- 2011). The haves and have nots in Australia’s Tropical North – new perspectives on a persisting problem, Geographical Research 49, 13–22. , , and (