Kate Penney (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) and Clare Stark were formerly from the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES), and are now with the Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics (BREE), GPO Box 1564, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia. Jane Melanie and Terry Sheales are formerly of ABARES.
Opportunities and challenges facing the Australian resources sector*
Version of Record online: 27 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. AJARE © 2012 Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society Inc. and Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Special Issue: Mineral and Energy Policies
Volume 56, Issue 2, pages 152–170, April 2012
How to Cite
Penney, K., Melanie, J., Stark, C. and Sheales, T. (2012), Opportunities and challenges facing the Australian resources sector. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 56: 152–170. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8489.2012.00587.x
The views expressed in this article are the authors alone and do not reflect those of the organisations they represent. The authors wish to thank anonymous reviewers for helpful comments on earlier drafts of this paper.
- Issue online: 27 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 27 MAR 2012
- ABARES (2010). Australian Commodity Statistics. ABARES, Canberra, December.
- ABARES (2011). Australian Commodities. March Quarter 18, no. 1, ABARES, Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) (2011a). Australian System of National Accounts 2010–11. cat no. 5204.0, ABS, Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) (2011b). Labour Force, Australia Detailed Quarterly. cat. no. 6291.0.55.03, ABS, Canberra, August 2011.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) (2011c). Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia. cat. no. 5302.0, ABS, Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) (2011d). International Investment Position, Australia: Supplementary Statistics – Table 15a. cat. No. 5352.0, ABS, Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) (2011e). Australian National Accounts: National Income, Expenditure and Product. cat. no. 5206.0, ABS, Canberra, September quarter 2011.
- Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association (APPEA) (2011). State of the Industry 2011. APPEA, Canberra.
- 2011). Australia’s mining boom: what’s the problem? Address to the Melbourne Institute and The Australian Economic and Social Outlook, June. (
- 2010). The impact of skilled labour shortages on the Pilbara Region. Future Directions International Strategic Analysis Paper, Perth. (
- Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics (BREE) (2011). Resources and Energy Statistics 2011. BREE, Canberra.
- Commonwealth of Australia (2011). Strategic Review of Geoscience Australia. Department of Finance and Deregulation, Canberra.
- 2011). Mining Industry Major Projects October 2011. Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics, Canberra, November. and (
- 2011). The Dutch disease in Australia: policy options for a three-speed economy. Working Paper No. 2011/14, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics, Crawford School of Economics and Government, Australian National University. (
- 2010). China, India and the commodity boom: economic and environmental implications for low-income countries, The World Economy 33(4), 525–551. and (
- Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism (RET) (2011). Mining Technology Services. Canberra. Available from URL: http://www.ret.gov.au/resources/industry_consultation/mining_technology_services/Pages/MiningTechnologyServices.aspx [accessed 5 December 2011].
- 2008). Chinese foreign direct investment in Australia: policy issues for the resource sector. Paper for Presentation to Crawford School Public Seminar, Australian National University, Canberra, 4 September. and (
- Exports and Infrastructure Taskforce (2005). Australia’s Export Infrastructure, Report to the Prime Minister. Exports and Infrastructure Taskforce, Canberra, May.
- Fraser Institute (2010). Annual Survey of Mining Companies 2010 Mid-year Update. Fraser Institute, Vancouver.
- Fraser Institute (2011). Annual Survey of Mining Companies 2010–11. Fraser Institute, Vancouver.
- Geoscience Australia (2011). Australia’s Identified Mineral Resources 2010. Geoscience Australia, Canberra.
- 2003). Public Geological Surveys in Australia. ABARE eReport 03.15 for the Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources, Canberra, August. (
- 1981). Bureau of mineral resources, geology and geophysics, Australian Mineral Industry Quarterly 34, 49–59. (
- IFC (International Finance Corporation) (2010). Oil, gas, chemicals and mining in Africa, Washington, Available from URL: http://www1.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/REGION__EXT_Content/Regions/Sub-Saharan+Africa/Investments/OilGasMiningChemicals/ [accesed 23 March 2011].
- IHS CERA (2011). IHS indexes. Available from URL: http://www.ihs.com/info/cera/ihsindexes/index.aspx [accessed 2 December 2011].
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) (2010). World Economic Outlook Database. IMF, Washington D.C., October.
- Metals Economics Group (2011). World Exploration Trends 2011. Metals Economics Group, Nova Scotia.
- 2009). Assessing Mongolian Mining Investment Environment. National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, December. (
- 2007). Mineral Exploration in APEC Economies: A Framework for Investment. APEC Energy Working Group, Report no. APEC#207-RE-01.10, Published by ABARE as Research Report 07.22, Canberra, December. , , and (
- Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) (2010). Sources of Chinese Demand for Resource Commodities. Research discussion paper 2010-08. RBA, Sydney, November.
- Rio Tinto (2008). Miners of the Future. Rio Tinto, Melbourne. Available from URL: http://www.riotinto.com/documents/ReportsPublications/Review_86_-miners_of_the_future.pdf [accessed 24 March 2011].
- SkillsInfo (2011a). Workforce Characteristics. DEEWR, Canberra. Available from URL: http://www.skillsinfo.gov.au/industry-reports-and-charts/workforce-characteristics [accessed 25 March 2011].
- SkillsInfo (2011b). Workforce Ageing. DEEWR, Canberra. Available from URL: http://www.skillsinfo.gov.au/industry-reports-and-charts/workforce-ageing [accessed 25 March 2011].
- 2010). An economic assessment survey of companies in the Australian mining technology services and equipment sector, 2006–07 to 2008–09. ABARE–BRS research report 10.07, Canberra, July. and (
- 2008). Productivity in the mining industry: measurement and interpretation. Productivity Commission Staff Working Paper, December. , , and (
- Tourism Research Australia (2011). The Impact of the Mining Boom on Tourism. Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism, Canberra.
- United Nations (2008). World population prospects: the 2008 revision. Available from URL: esa.un.org/unpp [accessed 27 April 2011].
- United Nations (2009). World urbanization prospects: the 2009 revision. Available from URL: esa.un.org/unpd/wup/index.htm [accessed 27 April 2011].
- US Geological Survey (USGS) (2010). The Mineral Industries of Africa. 2008 Minerals Yearbook. US Department of the Interior US Geological Survey, Pittsburgh, July.
- US Geological Survey (USGS) (2011). The Mineral Industry of Mongolia. 2009 Minerals Yearbook. US Department of the Interior US Geological Survey, Pittsburgh, February.