SPECIAL SCHOOLS: What future for special schools and inclusion? Conceptual and professional perspectives
Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2008
© 2008 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2008 NASEN
British Journal of Special Education
Volume 35, Issue 3, pages 136–143, September 2008
How to Cite
Norwich, B. (2008), SPECIAL SCHOOLS: What future for special schools and inclusion? Conceptual and professional perspectives. British Journal of Special Education, 35: 136–143. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8578.2008.00387.x
- Issue online: 20 SEP 2008
- Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2008
- Article submitted: August 2007 Accepted for publication: April 2008
- 1999) Understanding the Development of Inclusive Schools. London: Falmer Press. (
- 1988) Ideological Dilemmas: a social psychology of everyday thinking. London: Sage. , , , , & (
- 2000) Index for Inclusion: developing learning and participation in schools. Bristol: CSIE. , , , & (
- Conservative Party (2007) Commission on Special Needs in Education [online at http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=news.story.page&obj_id=137766.
- DES (Department of Education and Science) (1978) Warnock Committee Report. London: HMSO.
- DfES (Department for Education and Skills) (2006) Government Response to Education and Skills Committee Report on Special Educational Needs.
- 1987) The Education of Disturbing Children: pupils with learning and adjustment difficulties. London: Longman. & (
- House of Commons (2006) Special Educational Needs. Education Select Committee Report. House of Commons.
- 2007) ‘Educational psychology and the effectiveness of inclusion/mainstreaming’, British Journal of Educational Psychology, 77, 1–29. (
- 1999) Can Effective Schools Be Inclusive Schools? Bedford Way Series. London: Institute of Education. & (
- 2002) Special School Placement and Statements for English LEAs 1997–2001. Report for CSIE, University of Exeter. (
- 2007a) Dilemmas of Difference, Inclusion and Disability: international perspectives. London: Routledge. (
- 2007b) ‘Dilemmas of inclusion and the future of education’, in R.Cigman (ed.) Included or Excluded? The challenge of the mainstream for some special educational needs children. London: Routledge. (
- 2007) ‘Special schools in the new era: conceptual and strategic perspectives’, in Special Schools in a New Era: how do we go beyond generalities? Special Educational Needs Policy Options Paper 2, series 6 [online at http://www.nasen.org.uk/NewsArticle.asp?id=SX98DC-A77F9FF2. & (
- 2001) Deconstructing Special Education and Constructing Inclusion. Maidenhead: Open University Press. & (
- 2004) Inclusive Education: a reader. Maidenhead: Open University Press. & (
- 2005) Special Educational Needs: a new look. London: Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain. (