This research was supported by a Marian Schwartz Fellowship in Experimental Psychology and an APA Dissertation Award to N. M. McNeil and by National Science Foundation Grant BCS-0096129 to M. W. Alibali. The research would not have been possible without the support of the administrators, parents, and students in the Madison Metropolitan School District, Edgewood School, and Our Redeemer Schools in Madison, Wisconsin, and Sacred Hearts School in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. We thank Jenny Saffran, Colleen Moore, Julia Evans, and the members of the Cognitive Development Research Group at the University of Wisconsin for helpful discussions about the study. We also thank Jerry Haeffel for comments on previous versions of the paper.
Why Won't You Change Your Mind? Knowledge of Operational Patterns Hinders Learning and Performance on Equations
Article first published online: 14 JUL 2005
Volume 76, Issue 4, pages 883–899, July 2005
How to Cite
McNeil, N. M. and Alibali, M. W. (2005), Why Won't You Change Your Mind? Knowledge of Operational Patterns Hinders Learning and Performance on Equations. Child Development, 76: 883–899. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8624.2005.00884.x
- Issue published online: 14 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 14 JUL 2005
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!
Patients and/or caregivers may access this content for use in relation to their own personal healthcare or that of a family member only. Terms and conditions will apply.