Special thanks to Sandra Simpkins and Carlos Valiente for their helpful comments on an earlier draft of this article.
Latino Adolescents’ Ethnic Identity: Is There a Developmental Progression and Does Growth in Ethnic Identity Predict Growth in Self-Esteem?
Article first published online: 29 APR 2009
© 2009, Copyright the Author(s). Journal Compilation © 2009, Society for Research in Child Development, Inc.
Volume 80, Issue 2, pages 391–405, March/April 2009
How to Cite
Umaña-Taylor, A. J., Gonzales-Backen, M. A. and Guimond, A. B. (2009), Latino Adolescents’ Ethnic Identity: Is There a Developmental Progression and Does Growth in Ethnic Identity Predict Growth in Self-Esteem?. Child Development, 80: 391–405. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8624.2009.01267.x
- Issue published online: 29 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 29 APR 2009
This article has been cited by:
- 2Development of Racial–Ethnic Identity Among First Nation Children, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 2013,,
- 3Ethnic identity development and ethnic discrimination: Examining longitudinal associations with adjustment for Mexican-origin adolescent mothers, Journal of Adolescence, 2013, 36, 5, 825, , , ,
- 5Prospective Links Between Ethnic Socialization, Ethnic and American Identity, and Well-Being Among Asian-American Adolescents, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 2013,, , ,
- 6The Protective Effects of Sense of Community, Multigroup Ethnic Identity, and Self-Esteem Against Internalizing Problems Among Dominican Youth: Implications for Social Workers, Social Work in Mental Health, 2013, 11, 3, 199, , , ,
- 7Trajectories of Mexican American and Mainstream Cultural Values Among Mexican American Adolescents, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 2013,, , , , , ,
- 11Examining the role of physical appearance in Latino adolescents' ethnic identity, Journal of Adolescence, 2011, 34, 1, 151, ,
- 12Research on Adolescence in the Twenty-First Century, Annual Review of Sociology, 2011, 37, 1, 439, ,
- 14The Multidimensionality of Ethnic Identity Among Urban High School Youth, Identity, 2011, 11, 2, 114, ,