This research was supported by National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Grant HD-36043 to Gelman. We thank the parents, teachers, and children at the following institutions in Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Children’s Centers, the Jewish Community Center, St. Thomas Elementary School, and the YMCA. We also thank participating families and schools in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, and surrounding areas: the University of Illinois Child Development Lab, the Learning Tree, Royal Elementary School, Schneider Elementary School, St. Matthew’s Elementary School, St. John’s School, Washington Elementary School, the Montessori School, the Don Moyers Boys and Girls Club, the University of Illinois Summer Science Program, the Thomas Paine Computer Camp, and the University of Illinois Summer Fitness Camp. We extend our appreciation to Cindy Andress, Mandy Davies, Galena Kline, Tracey Kramer, and Aisling O’Driscoll for their assistance with data collection and coding.
Boys Will Be Boys; Cows Will Be Cows: Children’s Essentialist Reasoning About Gender Categories and Animal Species
Article first published online: 29 APR 2009
© 2009, Copyright the Author(s). Journal Compilation © 2009, Society for Research in Child Development, Inc.
Volume 80, Issue 2, pages 461–481, March/April 2009
How to Cite
Taylor, M. G., Rhodes, M. and Gelman, S. A. (2009), Boys Will Be Boys; Cows Will Be Cows: Children’s Essentialist Reasoning About Gender Categories and Animal Species. Child Development, 80: 461–481. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8624.2009.01272.x
- Issue published online: 29 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 29 APR 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!
Patients and/or caregivers may access this content for use in relation to their own personal healthcare or that of a family member only. Terms and conditions will apply.