Food Policy Old and New
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2004
Development Policy Review
Special Issue: Food policy old and new
Volume 21, Issue 5-6, pages 531–553, September 2003
How to Cite
Maxwell, S. and Slater, R. (2003), Food Policy Old and New. Development Policy Review, 21: 531–553. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8659.2003.00222.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2004
- 2002)Food and Mouth Disease 2001: Lessons to be Learned Inquiry Report. London: HM Stationery Office. (
- 2002) ‘Joined Up Food Policy? The Trials of Governance, Public Policy and the Food System’, Social Policy and Administration 36 (6): 556–74. , and (
- 1973)The Nutrition Factor. Washington, DC: The Brookings Institution. (
- 1987) ‘Nutrition Planning is Alive and Well, Thank You’, Food Policy 12 (4): 365–75. (
- 1990)The Food Question: Profits versus People? London: Earthscan. , , and (
- 2000)Measuring Food Security in the United States: Guide to Measuring Household Food Security.Washington, DC: United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Analysis, Nutrition and Evaluation. , , , and (
- Booth, D. (ed.) (2003) ‘Are PRSPs Making a Difference? The African Experience’, Development Policy Review 21 (2): Theme Issue.
- 1994)Full House: Reassessing the Earth's Population Carrying Capacity. London: Earthscan and Worldwatch Institute. and (
- 1962) Silent Spring. Harmondsworth: Penguin. (
- 1981)Food Policy Issues in Low-income Countries. World Bank Staff Working Paper No. 473. Washington, DC: World Bank. , , , et al. (
- Competition Commission (2001)A Report on the Supply of Groceries from Multiple Stores in the UK. Cmd 4842. London; HM Stationery Office.
- 1997)The Doubly Green Revolution: Food for All in the 21\sub\st\sue\ Century. Harmondsworth: Penguin. (
- Development Assistance Committee (DAC) (2001)The DAC Guidelines on Poverty Reduction. Paris: OECD.
- 2001) ‘Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticultural Industry’, Journal of Development Studies 37 (2): 147–76. and (
- 1998) ‘Food Poverty and Food Policy’, IDS Bulletin 29 (1): 58–65. (
- 2001)Poverty Bites: Food, Health and Poor Families. London: Child Poverty Action Group. , and (
- Dowler, E. and Jones Finer, C. (eds) (2002) ‘Food’, Social Policy and Administration 36 (6): Special Issue.
- 2002) ‘Food Safety and Consumers: Constructions of Choice and Risk’, Social Policy and Administration 36 (6): 610–25. and (
- 1989)Hunger and Public Action. WIDER Studies in Development Economics. Oxford: Clarendon Press. and (
- 1996) ‘Human Rights Requirements to Social and Economic Development’, Food Policy 21 (1): 23–39. (
- 1993)Peasant Economics: Farm Households and Agrarian Development. Wye Studies in Agricultural and Rural Development. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (
- FAO (1996)Rome Declaration on World Food Security. Rome: FAO.
- FAO (2002a) Factsheet on Feeding the Cities. Rome: FAO.
- FAO (2002b) Factsheet on Food Quality and Safety. Rome: FAO.
- 1987) ‘Multi-Sectoral Nutrition Planning: A Post-Mortem’, Food Policy 12 (1): 15–28. (
- Gaull, G. E. and Goldberg, R. A. (eds) (1993) The Emerging Global Food System: Public and Private Sector Issues. New York: Wiley.
- Gereffi, G. and Kaplinsky, R. (eds) (2001) ‘The Value of Value Chains: Spreading the Gains from Globalisation’, IDS Bulletin 32 (3).
- Gittinger, J. P., Leslie, J. and Hoisington, C. (eds) (1987)Food Policy: Integrating Supply, Distribution and Consumption. EDI Series in Economic Development. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 2000)Poverty and Social Exclusion in Britain. York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation. , , , , , , , , , and (
- Hewitt de Alcantara, C. (ed.) (1993)Real Markets: Social and Political Issues of Food Policy Reform. London: Frank Cass.
- 1990) ‘The World Bank Approach to Food Security Analysis’, IDS Bulletin 21 (3): 62–6. (
- 1990) ‘FAO's Overall Approach and Methodology for Formulating National Food Security Programmes in Developing Countries’, IDS Bulletin 21 (3). (
- 2002) Livelihoods Approaches Compared: A Multi-agency Review of Current Practice. London: Overseas Development Institute. (
- 2001) ‘Agricultural Productivity Growth and Poverty Alleviation’, Development Policy Review 19 (4): 449–66. , , and (
- 1973) ‘Food and Nutrition Planning’, Journal of Agricultural Economics XXIV, January. (
- 1977) ‘The Narangwal Nutrition Study: A Summary Review’, Department of International Health, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (mimeo). et al. (
- 2002) Responding to Inequality. Inequality Briefing No 3. London: Overseas Development Institute, March. (
- 1977) Food First: A New Action Plan to Break the Famine Trap. London: Abacus. and (
- 1996) The Making of Modern Malnutrition: An Overview of Food Poverty in the UK. London: The Caroline Walker Trust. (
- 1974) ‘Morinda’: An Economic Analysis of Malnutrition among Young Children in Rural India. Nutrition Policy Series. Cambridge, MA: Cornell-MIT International. (
- 1989) New Seeds and Poor People. London: Unwin Hyman. with (
- 1988) ‘National Food Security Planning: First Thoughts from Sudan’. Paper presented to workshop on Food Security in Sudan, Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex . (
- Maxwell, S. (ed.) (1990) ‘Food Security in Developing Countries’, IDS Bulletin 21 (3): Special Issue.
- 1991) ‘National Food Security Planning: First Thought from Sudan’, in S.Maxwell (ed.), To Cure All Hunger: Food Policy and Food Security in Sudan. London: Intermediate Technology Publications. (
- 1996) ‘Food Security: A Post-Modern Perspective’, Food Policy 21 (2). (
- 1997) ‘Implementing the World Food Summit Plan of Action: Organizational Issues in Multi-sectoral Planning’, Food Policy 22 (6): 515–31. (
- 1998a) ‘Saucy with the Gods: Nutrition and Food Security Speak to Poverty’, Food Policy 23 (3/4): 215–30. (
- 1998b) ‘Comparison, Convergence and Connections: Development Studies in North and South’, IDS Bulletin 29 (1). (
- 2001a) ‘The Evolution of Thinking about Food Security’, in S.Devereux and S.Maxwell (eds), Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. London: ITDG. (
- 2001b) ‘Organisational Issue in Food Security Planning’, in S.Devereux and S.Maxwell (eds), Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. London: ITDG. (
- 2002) Defining and Measuring Inequality. Inequality Briefing No 1. London: Overseas Development Institute, March. (
- 1976) The New Economics of Growth. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. (
- 2002) ‘The Evolution of Food Safety Policy-making Institutions in the UK, EU and Codex Alimentarius’, Social Policy and Administration 36 (6): 593–609. and (
- Morrissey, O. (ed.) (2002) ‘WTO, Doha and Developing Countries’, Development Policy Review 20 (1): Policy Symposium.
- 2002) Why Inequality Matters for Poverty. Inequality Briefing No 2. London: Overseas Development Institute, March. (
- 2002) Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. (
- Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1993) Evaluation of Development Assistance: Handbook for Evaluators and Managers. Oslo: Royal Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- ODI (2001) Economic Theory, Freedom and Human Rights: The Work of Amartya Sen. ODI Briefing Paper. London: Overseas Development Institute, November.
- ODI (2002) The ‘Water Crisis’: Faultlines in Global Debates. ODI Briefing Paper. London: Overseas Development Institute, July.
- 1985) ‘The Composite Concept of Food Security’, in W. B.Edie et al. (eds), ‘Introducing Nutritional Considerations into Rural Development Programmes with Focus on Agriculture: A Theoretical Contribution’, Development of Methodology for the Evaluation of Nutritional Impact of Development Programmes Report 1, Institute of Nutrition Research, University of Oslo . (
- 2003) Developing Countries: Victims or Participants? Their Changing Roles in International Negotiations. Globalisation and Poverty Programme. London: Overseas Development Institute. (
- 2000) Feeding the World with Sustainable Agriculture: A Summary of New Evidence. Final Report from the ‘SAFE-World’ Research Project, University of Essex . and (
- 1992) ‘Understanding Hunger and Developing Indicators to Assess it in Women and Children’, Journal of Nutrition Education 24 (1): 36S–46S. , , , and (
- 2002) ‘The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Latin America: Challenges and Opportunities for Development’, Development Policy Review 20 (4): 371–88. and (
- 2002) Supermarkets and Farming in Latin America: Pointing Directions for Elsewhere? Natural Resource Perspectives No. 81. London: Overseas Development Institute. , and (
- 2003) ‘The Rise of Supermarkets in Latin America and Asia: Implications for International Markets for Fruits and Vegetables’, in A.Regmi and M.Gehlhar (eds), Global Markets for High Value Food Products. Agriculture Information Bulletin. Washington, DC: USADA-ERS. , and (
- 1985) ‘Food Security and Poverty in LDCs’, Finance and Development 22 (4): 7–11. (
- 1997) First World Hunger: Food Security and Welfare Politics. Basingstoke: Macmillan. (ed.) (
- 2001) Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin. (
- 1981) Poverty and Famines: An Essay on Entitlement and Deprivation. Oxford: Clarendon Press. (
- 1995) The Food System: A Guide. London: Earthscan. and (
- 1981) Food Policy Analysis. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. , and (
- 2001) ‘Improving Street Food Vending in Accra: Problems and Prospects’, in T.Sibanda and P.Hindmarsh (eds), Food Safety in Crop Post-Harvest Systems. Proceedings of an international workshop sponsored by the Crop Post-Harvest Programme of the UK Department for International Development, Harare, Zimbabwe, 20–1 September. , and (
- 1979) Poverty in the United Kingdom: A Survey of Household Resources and Standards of Living. London: Penguin Books and Allen Lane. (
- 1977) The Famine Business. Harmondsworth: Penguin. (
- UNDP (2003) Human Development Report 2003: Millennium Development Goals: A Compact among Nations to End Human Poverty. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2003) ‘The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa: Implications for Agrifood Systems and the Rural Poor’, Development Policy Review 21 (3): 333–55. and (
- WHO-Europe (2000) World Health Organisation Regional Committee for Europe. Resolution: The Impact of Food and Nutrition on Public Health. 50th Session, EUR/RC50/R8, World Health Organisation, Copenhagen, 14 September,
- World Bank (1986) Poverty and Hunger: Issues and Options for Food Security in Developing Countries. World Bank Policy Study. Washington, DC: World Bank.