A survey on Mesh Segmentation Techniques
Article first published online: 4 JAN 2008
© 2007 The Author Journal compilation © 2007 The Eurographics Association and Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Computer Graphics Forum
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 1539–1556, September 2008
How to Cite
Shamir, A. (2008), A survey on Mesh Segmentation Techniques. Computer Graphics Forum, 27: 1539–1556. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8659.2007.01103.x
- Issue published online: 20 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 4 JAN 2008
- Submitted October 2006Revised May 2007Accepted September 2007
- mesh segmentation;
- mesh partioning;
- 1.3.5 [Computing Methodologies]: Computer Graphics Computational Geometry and Object Modeling;
- I.3.6 [Computing Methodologies]: Computer Graphics Methodology and Techniques
We present a review of the state of the art of segmentation and partitioning techniques of boundary meshes. Recently, these have become a part of many mesh and object manipulation algorithms in computer graphics, geometric modelling and computer aided design. We formulate the segmentation problem as an optimization problem and identify two primarily distinct types of mesh segmentation, namely part segmentation and surface-patch segmentation. We classify previous segmentation solutions according to the different segmentation goals, the optimization criteria and features used, and the various algorithmic techniques employed. We also present some generic algorithms for the major segmentation techniques.