This paper was presented at the 3rd International Corporate Governance Conference “Corporate Governance and Corporate Social Responsibility”, 4 July 2005 at the Centre of Corporate Governance Research, Birmingham Business School.
Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility: a comparative analysis of the UK and the US*
Version of Record online: 25 APR 2006
Corporate Governance: An International Review
Volume 14, Issue 3, pages 147–158, May 2006
How to Cite
Aguilera, R. V., Williams, C. A., Conley, J. M. and Rupp, D. E. (2006), Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility: a comparative analysis of the UK and the US. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 14: 147–158. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8683.2006.00495.x
- Issue online: 25 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 25 APR 2006
- 2005) Corporate Governance and Director Accountability: An Institutional Comparative Perspective, British Journal of Management, 16, 1–15. (
- 2003) The Cross-national Diversity of Corporate Governance: Dimensions and Determinants, Academy of Management Review, 28, 447–465. and (
- Putting the S Back in CSR: A Multi-level Theory of Social Change in Organizations, Academy of Management Review. , , and (forthcoming)
- 2003) Shareholder Primacy and the Trajectory of UK Corporate Governance, British Journal of Industrial Relations, 41, 531–555. , and (
- 2001) How Employees Respond to Personal Offense: The Effects of Blame Attribution, Victim Status, and Offender Status on Revenge and Reconciliation in the Workplace, Journal of Applied Psychology, 86, 52–59. , and (
- Association of British Insurers (ABI) (2001) Disclosure Guidelines on Socially-responsible Investment ( http://www.socialfunds.com/news/article.cgi/article697.html) (accessed November 20, 2005).
- 2000) Why Companies Go Green: A Model of Ecological Responsiveness, Academy of Management Journal, 13, 717–736. and (
- 2005) Performance Attribution of US Institutional Investors, Financial Management, Summer, 127–152. (
- 1994) Hail Britannia: Institutional Investor Behavior under Limited Regulation, Michigan Law Review, 92, 1997–2087. and (
- Cadbury Committee on the Financial Aspects of Corporate Governance (1992) Report with Code of Best Practice [Cadbury Report]. London: Gee Publishing.
- 2000) Corporate Governance Reform: Britain as an Exporter, Hume Papers on Public Policy, 8, 10–29. (
- 2004) Pension Fund Corporate Engagement, Industrial Relations (Quebec), 59, 142–171. and (
- 2005) Why Should They Care? The Role of Institutional Investors in the Market for Corporate Global Responsibility, Environment and Planning A, 37, 2015–2031. and (
- 2005) Path Dependence and Financial Markets: The Economic Geography of the German Model, 1997–2003, Environment and Planning A, 37, 1769–1791. and (
- Combined Code on Corporate Governance (2003) Available at http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/ukla/lr_comcode2003.pdf (accessed June 12, 2005).
- 2001) Moral Virtues, Fairness Heuristics, Social Entities, and Other Denizens of Organizational Justice, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 58, 164–209. , , and (
- 2001) Three roads to organizational justice. In J.Ferris (ed.) Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management, 1–113. New York: JAI. , , and (
- 1963) A Behavioral Theory of the Firm. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. and (
- 2003) Corporate Governance in a Changing Economic and Political Environment. Trajectories of Institutional Change on the European Continent. London: Palgrave Macmillan. and (eds) (
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (2005) A Legal Framework for the Integration of Environmental, Social and Governance Issues into Institutional Investment: A Report Produced for the Asset Management Working Group of the UNEP Finance Initiative ( http://www.unepfi.org/fileadmin/documents/freshfields_legal_resp_20051123.pdf) (accessed November 25, 2005).
- 2005) Corporate Governance and Labour Management: An International Comparison. Oxford: Oxford University Press. and (
- 2001) Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage. Oxford: Oxford University Press. and (
- 2004) Global Standards and Emerging Markets: The Institutional Investment Value Chain and CALPERS’ Investment Strategy ( http://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/research/wpapers/economi/wpg04-05.htm) (accessed July 28, 2005). and (
- 2003) Review of the Role and Effectiveness of Non-Executive Directors ( http://www.ecgi.org/codes/documents/higgsreport.pdf) (accessed June 12, 2005). (
- 1998) Influence and Intervention by Financial Institutions in their Investee Companies, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 6, 249–264. (
- Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (2003) Managing the Risks and Profiting from the Shift to a Lower Carbon Economy: IIGCC Conference Report 2003 ( http://www.iigcc.org/docs/PDF/Public/IIGCCAnnualReportFinStatement2003.pdf) (accessed June 11, 2005).
- Institutional Shareholders’ Committee (ISC) (2002) The Responsibilities of Institutional Shareholders and Agents – Statement of Principles ( http://www.investmentuk.org/press/2002/20021021-01.pdf) (accessed April 20, 2005).
- Institutional Shareholders’ Committee (ISC) (2005) Review of the Institutional Shareholders’ Committee Statement of Principles on the Responsibilities of Institutional Shareholders and Agents ( http://www.napf.co.uk/Publications/Downloads/PolicyPapers/SectionI/2005/Comment_on_ISCPrinciples.pdf) (accessed November 20, 2005).
- 2005) Agency Costs of Overvalued Equity, Financial Management 5–19. (
- 1976) Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure, Journal of Financial Economics, 3, 305–360. and (
- 2001) The Human Nature of Corporate Boards: Law, Norms, and the Unintended Consequences of Independence and Accountability, Georgetown Law Journal, 89, 797–832. (
- 2005) The Financial Sector and Corporate Governance: The UK Case, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 13, 532–541. , and (
- 2000) Takeovers: English and American, European Financial Management, 6, 533–541. (
- 2000) The Prince and the Pauper? CEO Pay in the United States and the United Kingdom, Economic Journal, 110, 640–671. and (
- 2001) Institutional Investment in the United Kingdom: A Review ( http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/2F9/02/31.pdf) (accessed April 20, 2005). (
- New York Stock Exchange Listing Rule 303A (2003) available at http://www.nyse.com/pdfs/finalcorpgovrules.pdf (accessed April 20, 2005).
- OECD (2003) Institutional Investors. Statistical Yearbook, 1992–2001. Paris: OECD.
- Office for National Statistics (ONS) (2005) Share Ownership. A Report on Ownership of Shares as at 31st December 2004. London: ONS.
- 2005) Market and relationships: finance, governance, and labour in the United Kingdom. In H.Gospel and A.Pendleton (eds) Corporate Governance and Labour Management: An International Comparison. Oxford: Oxford University Press. and (
- Regulation Full Disclosure (Reg. F-D), 17 C.F.R. § 243.100 (2005).
- 2005) The Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the Making of Quack Corporate Governance, Yale Law Journal, 114, 1521–1611. (
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act, 15 U.S.C. § 78(j)10A(m)(3) (2002).
- 1997) A Survey of Corporate Governance, Journal of Finance, 2, 737–783. and (
- 2004) Can the UK Experience Provide Lessons for the Evolution of SRI in Japan? Corporate Governance: An International Review, 12, 552–566. , and (
- 2001) The Origins of Neoliberal Capitalism. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. and (
- 2002) Firm Resources, Quality Signals and the Determinants of Corporate Environmental Reputation: Some UK Evidence, British Accounting Review, 34, 257–282. (
- 2005) Divergence and Convergence within Anglo-American Corporate Governance Systems: Evidence from the US and UK, 1950–2000, Business History, 47, 267–295. and (
- 2004) Civil Society Initiatives and “Soft Law” in the Oil and Gas Industry, New York University Journal of International Law and Politics, 36, 457–502. (
- 2005) An Emerging Third Way? The Erosion of the Anglo-American Shareholder Value Construct, Cornell International Law Journal, 38, 493–551. and (