Creditor Rights and R&D Expenditures
Version of Record online: 26 SEP 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Corporate Governance: An International Review
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 3–20, January 2012
How to Cite
Seifert, B. and Gonenc, H. (2012), Creditor Rights and R&D Expenditures. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 20: 3–20. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8683.2011.00881.x
- Issue online: 21 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 26 SEP 2011
- 2011. Creditor rights and corporate risk-taking. Journal of Financial Economics, forthcoming. , , &
- 2009. Bankruptcy codes and innovation. Review of Financial Studies, 22: 4949–4988. &
- 1999. Diversity of opinion and financing of new technologies. Journal of Financial Intermediaries, 8: 68–89. &
- 2001. R&D intensity and corporate financial policy: Some international evidence. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 28: 671–692. &
- 2002. Industry growth and capital allocation: Does having a market or bank based system matter? Journal of Financial Economics, 64: 147–180. &
- 1995. Corporate research and development investments: International comparisons. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 19: 443–470. &
- 1983. Innovation and communication: Signaling with partial disclosure. Review of Economic Studies, 50: 331–346. &
- 2007. The effect of growth opportunities on the joint choice of leverage, maturity, and covenants. Journal of Finance, 62: 697–730. , , &
- 1999. Investments, R&D, and financial constraints in Britain and Germany. Working paper, London Institute of Fiscal Studies. , , &
- 2009. Dividend policy, creditor rights, and the agency costs of debt. Journal of Financial Economics, 92: 276–299. &
- 2009. Financing innovation and growth: Cash flow, external equity and the 1990s R&D boom. Journal of Finance, 64: 151–185. , , &
- 2009. Why has the investment-cash flow sensitivity declined so sharply? Rising R&D and equity market developments. Journal of Banking and Finance, 33: 971–984. &
- 2002. Short-term perceptions. Corporate governance and the management of R&D in Italian companies. Journal of Management and Governance, 6: 255–270.
- 1990. Corporate research and development expenditures and share value. Journal of Financial Economics, 26: 255–276. , , &
- 2003. Corporate governance and market valuation of capital and R&D investments. Review of Financial Economics, 12: 161–172. , , &
- 2009. Intangible Capital and US economic growth. Review of Income and Wealth, 55: 661–685. , , &
- 2001. Financial structures across countries: Stylized facts. In A. Demirguc-Kunt & R. Levine (Eds.), Financial Structure and Economic Growth: 81–140. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. &
- 2002. Funding growth in bank-based and market-based financial systems: Evidence from firm-level data. Journal of Financial Economics, 65: 337–363. &
- 2007. Private credit in 129 countries. Journal of Financial Economics, 84: 299–329. , , &
- 2007. Why do countries matter so much for corporate governance? Journal of Financial Economics, 86: 1–39. , , &
- 2005. To steal or not to steal: Firm attributes, legal environment, and valuation. Journal of Finance, 60: 1461–1493. &
- 2009. Corporate governance ratings and firm performance. Financial Management, 38: 139–160. &
- 1995. Agency costs and innovation: Some empirical evidence. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 19: 383–409. &
- 1988. An empirical test of the impact of management self-interest on corporate capital structure. Journal of Finance, 43: 271–283. &
- 1997. Determinants of patent rights: A cross-national study. Research Policy, 26: 283–301. &
- 1994. Research and development expenditures and economic growth: A cross-country study. Economic Development and Cultural Change, 42: 403–411. &
- 1988. Institutional ownership and corporate R&D in the computer industry. The Academy of Management Journal, 31: 417–428.
- 1992. Research and development at the firm level: Does the source of financing matter. Working Paper no. 4096, NBER.
- 2002. The financing of research and development. Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 18: 35–51.
- 1998. Are there financing constraints for R&D and investments in German manufacturing firms? Anneles d'Economie et de Statistique, 49/50: 421–456.
- 2011. The impact of country-level corporate governance on research and development. Journal of International Business Studies, 42: 76–98. , , , &
- 1994. R&D and internal finance: A panel study of small firms in high-tech industries. Review of Economics and Statistics, 76: 38–51. &
- 2004. Strategic debt and patent races. International Journal of Industrial Organization, 22: 887–915. &
- 1997. The impact of antitakeover amendments on corporate financial performance. The Financial Review, 32: 659–690. &
- 2009. On the strength of intellectual property rights that nations provide. Journal of Development Economics, 90: 50–56. &
- 2010. What influences firms' perception? Journal of Comparative Economics, 38: 419–431. &
- 2005. Legal environment, firm-level corporate governance, and expropriation of minority shareholders in Asia. Economic Change and Restructuring, 38: 85–111. , , &
- 1998. Law and finance. Journal of Political Economy, 106: 1113–1155. , , , &
- 1999. The quality of government. Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 15: 222–279. , , , &
- 2000. Agency problems and dividend policies around the world. Journal of Finance, 55: 1–33. , , , &
- 2009. The impact of corporate governance practices on R&D efforts: A look at shareholders rights, cross-listing, and control pyramid. Working paper, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne.
- 2010. Property rights protection and corporate R&D: Evidence from China. Journal of Development Economics, 93: 49–62. , , &
- 2003. Financial development and financing constraints: International evidence from the structural investment model. Review of Financial Studies, 16: 765–791.
- 2000. Which countries protect intellectual property? The case of software piracy. Economic Inquiry, 38: 159–174. &
- 1990. Shark repellents and managerial myopia: An empirical test. Journal of Political Economy, 98: 1108–1117. , , , , &
- 2001. Investment and R&D in France and in the United States: A comparison. In D. Bundesbank (Ed.), Investing Today for the World of Tomorrow: 229–273. Berlin: Springer. , , &
- 1977. Determinants of corporate borrowing. Journal of Financial Economics, 5: 147–175.
- 2009. Creditor control rights and firm investment policy. Journal of Financial Economics, 92: 400–420. , , &
- 2000. The measurement of intellectual property rights protection. Journal of International Business Studies, 31: 349–360.
- 2008. International patent protection: 1960–2005. Research Policy, 37: 761–766.
- 1992. Anti-takeover charter amendments: Effects on corporate decisions. Journal of Financial Research, 15: 57–68. , , &
- 1995. What do we know about capital structure? Some evidence from international data. Journal of Finance, 50: 1421–1460. &
- 2010. Corporate-governance ratings and company performance: A cross-European study. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 18: 87–106. , , &
- 2009. Control rights and capital structure: An empirical investigation. Journal of Finance, 64: 1657–1695. &
- 2003. On the trade-off between the future benefits and riskiness of R&D: A bondholders' perspective. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 35: 227–254.
- 1979. On financing contracting: An analysis of bond covenants. Journal of Financial Economics, 7: 117–161. &
- 1996. The valuation of corporate R&D expenditures: Evidence from investment opportunities and free cash flow. Financial Management, 25: 105–110. , , &
- 2007. Do the type and number of blockholders influence R&D investments? New evidence from Spain. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15: 828–842. , , &
- 2000. Do institutional investors exacerbate managerial myopia? Journal of Corporate Finance, 6: 307–329. &
- 2000. Introductory econometrics: A modern approach. Thomson Learning: South-Western College Publishing.
- 2009. Entry barriers, property rights, and R&D activities: Evidence from OECD countries. Working paper, University of Alberta.
- 2003. Large shareholders and banks: Who monitors and how? The Economic Journal, 113: 128–146. &