Monitoring the Monitors: The Effect of Banking Industry Reform on Earnings Management Behavior in an Emerging Market
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Corporate Governance: An International Review
Volume 20, Issue 5, pages 451–473, September 2012
How to Cite
Hsieh, C.-C. and Wu, S.-J. (2012), Monitoring the Monitors: The Effect of Banking Industry Reform on Earnings Management Behavior in an Emerging Market. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 20: 451–473. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8683.2012.00920.x
- Issue published online: 9 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2012
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Soochow University
- National Science Council of R.O.C.. Grant Number: NSC99-2914-I-006-016-A1
- 2010. Tunneling as an incentive for earnings management during the IPO process in China. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 29: 1–26. , , &
- 2002. The role of accounting conservatism in mitigating bondholder-shareholder conflicts over dividend policy and in reducing debt costs. The Accounting Review, 77: 867–890. , , , &
- 2006. The effects of board composition and board size on the informativeness of annual accounting earnings. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 14: 418–431. , , &
- 2009. The role of bank monitoring in corporate governance: Evidence from borrowers’ earnings management behavior. Journal of Banking and Finance, 33: 425–434. &
- 2005. Law, finance, and economic growth in China. Journal of Financial Economics, 77: 57–116. , , &
- 2004. Banking reform in China: Catalyzing the nation's financial future . Working paper, Auburn University, Milken Institute, and Queen Mary University of London, School of Law. , , &
- 2000. Discretionary-accruals models and audit qualifications. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 30: 421–452. , , &
- 1995. The determinants of board composition: An agency theory perspective. Managerial and Decision Economics, 16: 59–69. &
- 1998. The effect of audit quality on earnings management. Contemporary Accounting Research, 15: 1–24. , , &
- 2004. The changing role of accounting numbers in public lending agreements. Accounting Horizons, 18: 81–96. &
- 2008. Accounting discretion, corporate governance and firm performance. Contemporary Accounting Research, 25: 351–405. , , &
- 2008. Are corporate governance and bank monitoring substitutes? Evidence from the perceived value of bank loans. Journal of Corporate Finance, 14: 475–483. , , &
- 2000. The post-issue market performance of initial public offerings in China's new stock markets. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 14: 319–339. , , &
- 2004. Earnings management and capital resource allocation: Evidence from China's accounting-based regulation of rights issues. The Accounting Review, 79: 645–665. &
- 2007. Corporate governance and earnings management: The implications of corporate governance best-practice principles for Taiwanese listed companies. Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, 3: 73–105. , , &
- 2010. The investment opportunity set and earnings management: Evidence from the role of controlling shareholders. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 18: 193–211. , , &
- 2007. Non-audit services and bias and accuracy of voluntary earnings forecasts reviewed by incumbent CPAs. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15: 661–676. , , &
- 2005. Earnings management, surplus free cash flow, and external monitoring. Journal of Business Research, 58: 766–776. , , &
- 1999. Equity valuation and negative earnings: The role of book value of equity. The Accounting Review, 74: 29–61. , , &
- 2008. Corporate governance and pay-for-performance: The impact of earnings management. Journal of Financial Economics, 87: 357–373. , , &
- 1995. Detecting earnings management. The Accounting Review, 70: 193–225. , , &
- 1994. Debt covenant violation and manipulation of accruals. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 17: 145–176. &
- 1999. The impact of improved auditor independence on audit market concentration in China. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 28: 269–305. , , &
- 2000. Syndicated loans. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 9: 404–426. &
- 1984. Financial intermediation and delegated monitoring. Review of Economic Studies, 51: 393–414.
- 1991. Monitoring and reputation: The choice between bank loans and directly placed debt. Journal of Political Economy, 99: 689–721.
- 2002. Large-sample evidence on the debt covenant hypothesis. Journal of Accounting Research, 40: 1091–1123. &
- 2007. Private vs state ownership and earnings management: Evidence from Chinese listed companies. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15: 223–238. , , &
- 1990. An empirical examination of debt covenant restrictions and accounting-related debt proxies. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 12: 45–63. &
- 1985. What's different about banks? Journal of Monetary Economics, 15: 29–39.
- 1999. The role of big 6 auditors in the credible reporting of accruals. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 18: 17–34. , , &
- 1986. The costs and benefits of ownership: A theory of vertical and lateral integration. Journal of Political Economy, 94: 691–719. &
- 2003. Tracks: Audit quality, earnings, and the Shanghai stock market reaction. Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, 18: 411–427. , , &
- 1990. Property rights and the nature of the firm. Journal of Political Economy, 98: 1119–1158. &
- 1986. Agency costs of free cash flow, corporate finance and takeovers. American Economic Review, 76: 323–329.
- 1976. Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure. Journal of Financial Economics, 3: 305–360. &
- 1983. The market for corporate control: The scientific evidence. Journal of Financial Economics, 11: 5–51. &
- 1991. Earnings management during import relief investigations. Journal of Accounting Research, 29: 193–228.
- 1982. Stockholder-bondholder conflict and dividend constraints. Journal of Financial Economics, 10: 211–233.
- 1998. Loan size as a commitment device. International Economic Review, 39: 135–150. &
- 2002. Audit committee, board of director characteristics, and earnings management. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 33: 375–400.
- 2005. Performance matched discretionary accrual measures. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 39: 163–197. , , &
- 2003. Does big 6 auditor industry expertise constrain earnings management? Accounting Horizons, Supplement: 1–16.
- 1993. A theory of incentives in procurement and regulation. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press. &
- 2004. Board of director characteristics and earnings management: Evidence from the effect of family controlling on Taiwan corporations. Taiwan Accounting Review, 5: 1–39. &
- 2003. Introduction to China Banking Regulatory Commission. Hua Nan Financial Holdings Monthly, (October): 10–13. &
- 2009. Ownership, institutions, and capital structure: Evidence from China. Journal of Comparative Economics, 37: 471–490. , , &
- 2009. The determinants of auditor switching from the perspective of corporate governance in China. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17: 476–491. &
- 2007. Corporate governance and earnings management in Chinese listed companies: A tunneling perspective. Journal of Corporate Finance, 13: 881–906. &
- 1998. Underpricing and aftermarket performance of IPOs in Shanghai, China. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 6: 453–474. &
- 1988. Management ownership and market valuation. Journal of Financial Economics, 20: 293–315. , , &
- 1998. Bank relationships: A review. In P. T. Harker & S. A. Zenios (Eds.), Performance of financial institutions. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. &
- 1990. Accounting-based constraints in public and private debt agreements: Their association with leverage and impact on accounting choice. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 12: 65–95. &
- 2000. Shareholding structure and corporate performance of partially privatized firms: Evidence from listed Chinese companies. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 8: 587–610. , , &
- 1995. Covenants and collateral as incentives to monitor. Journal of Finance, 50: 1113–1146. &
- 1993. Regression standard errors in clustered samples. in Stata Technical Bulletin Reprints 13: 19–23. College Station, TX: Stata Press.
- 2006. Earnings management through real activities manipulation. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 42: 335–370.
- 2007. Asymmetric timeliness of earnings, market-to-book and conservatism in financial reporting. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 44: 2–31. &
- 2007. Ownership structure, discretionary accruals and the informativeness of earnings. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15: 677–691. &
- 2008. The value of information and optimal organization. RAND Journal of Economics, 39: 238–265.
- 1979. On financial contracting: An analysis of bond covenants. Journal of Financial Economics, 7: 117–161. &
- 2002. Globalization and its discontents. New York: W. W. Norton & Company.
- 1988. Managerial control of voting rights: Financing policies and the market for corporate control. Journal of Financial Economics, 20: 25–54.
- 2007. Information asymmetry and financing arrangements: Evidence from syndicated loans. Journal of Finance, 62: 629–668.
- 2005. Bank lending, corporate governance, and government ownership in China . Working paper, Peking University.
- 1986. Hierarchies and bureaucracies: On the role of collusion in organizations. Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, 2: 181–214.
- 1992. Collusion and the theory of organizations. In J.-J. Laffont (Ed.), Advances in economic theory: sixth world congress: 151–206. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1995. Managerial ownership, accounting choices, and informativeness of earnings. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 20: 61–91. , , &
- 2003. Conservatism in accounting part I: Explanations and implications. Accounting Horizons, 17: 207–221.
- 1978. Towards a positive theory of the determination of accounting standards. The Accounting Review, 53: 112–134. &
- 1986. Positive accounting theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. &
- 1980. A heteroscedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimator and a direct test for heteroscedasticity. Econometrica, 48: 817–838.
- 2009. Non-tradable share reform and corporate governance in the Chinese stock market. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17: 457–475. , , , &
- 2000. In search of new foundations. Journal of Finance, 55: 1623–1653.