The authors would like to thank Stephen Young, Professor David Regan and Dr Christopher Pollitt for their helpful comments on earlier drafts of this article.
INTRA-ORGANIZATIONAL POLITICS IN LOCAL AUTHORITIES: TOWARDS A NEW APPROACH
Version of Record online: 3 APR 2007
Volume 64, Issue 3, pages 285–302, September 1986
How to Cite
STOKER, G. and WILSON, D. (1986), INTRA-ORGANIZATIONAL POLITICS IN LOCAL AUTHORITIES: TOWARDS A NEW APPROACH. Public Administration, 64: 285–302. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9299.1986.tb00623.x
- Issue online: 3 APR 2007
- Version of Record online: 3 APR 2007
- 1982. Local Government in Britain Since Reorganization. London : Allen and Unwin.
- 1975. The Property Machine. Harmondsworth : Penguin. and
- 1981. I'll fight you for it. London : Cape.
- 1983. The Operation of the Bristol Labour Party, a view from the edge. Bristol : SAUS.
- Barrett, S. and C.Fudge (eds) 1981. Policy and Action. London : Methuen.
- 1984. Labour Socialism and Local Democracy, in M.Boddy and C.Fudge (1984).
- 1984. The Attack on Labour's Centralist Faith: Local Paths to Socialism Paper presented to Political Studies Association Annual Conference, 3-5 May. and
- 1977. Checks and Balances – The Politics of Minority Government, Public Administration 1977, 305–16.
- 1980. The Limits of Power. Oxford : Pergamon.
- Boddy, M. and C.Fudge (eds) 1984. Local Socialism? London : Macmillan.
- 1983. Professional Values and the Policy Implementation Process in Local Government, London Review of Public Administration 15, 35–60. and
- 1967. Party Politics in English Local Government. London : Longman.
- 1983. Corporate Planning and the Cuts, Local Government Policy-making 10, 28–33.
- 1985. Management of the Local State: The Example of Corporate Planning, Critical Social Policy 14 27–43.
- 1977. The Local State. London : Pluto Press.
- 1978. The Officer and the Councillor in Local Government, Public Administration Bulletin 28, 34–50. , and
- 1972. The Evangelistic Bureaucrat. London : Tavistock.
- 1979. Employment Policy in One London Borough, in G.Craig et al, (eds.) Jobs and Community Action. London : Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- 1981. Implementing Employment Policies in a District Authority, in S.Barrett and C.Fudge, (eds.) Policy and Action. London : Methuen.
- 1973. The Politics of Policy in Local Government. London : CUP.
- 1972. Public Participation and Planners Blight. London : Faber.
- 1975. Community Action, Quasi-Community Action and Anti-Community Action, in P.Leonard (ed) The Sociology of Community Action. Keele : Sociology Dept. Monograph.
- 1980. Urban Political Analysis. London : Macmillan.
- 1974. Politics and Land Use Planning. Cambridge : CUP.
- 1975. Political Leadership in Local Government: T. Dan Smith in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Local Government Studies 1, 33–45.
- 1981. Managing Consensus: Strategies and Rationales in Policy Making, in M.Harloe, (ed.) New Perspectives in Urban Change and Conflict. London : Heinemann.
- 1981. Winning an Election and Gaining Control: The Formation and Implementation of a “local” Political Manifesto, in Barrett and Fudge (1981).
- 1983. Manifestos and other Manifestations of Local Party Politics: The Spread of Party Politics since Reorganization, Local Government Studies 9, 29–33. and
- 1981. Power and Party an English City. London : Allen and Unwin.
- 1985. Training for Councillors, Local Government Chronicle. No. 6159, 28 June, 734–735. and
- 1977. Local Government: Towards an Organization Analysis, Public Administration Bulletin 23, 2–15. and
- 1976. In Pursuit of Corporate Rationality. Birmingham : INLOGOV. , , and
- 1980. Patterns of Management in Local Government. Oxford : Martin Robertson. , , , and
- 1978. Town Planning and the Practices of Politics, DP29. London : Bartlett School of Architecture and Planning.
- 1984. Local Politics in Britain. (Second Edition) London : Croom Helm.
- 1985. The Politics of Local Socialism. London : Allen and Unwin.
- 1980. Neighbourhood Participation. London : Temple Smith.
- 1984. The Policy Process in the Modern Capitalist State. London : Wheatsheaf. and ,
- 1978. Policy Planning and Local Government. London : Hutchinson.
- 1969. Borough Politics. London : Macmillan.
- 1986. Professionalism and Policy: The Role of the Professions in the Central-Local Government Relationship. Aldershot : Gower.
- 1985. The Changing Roles and Responsibilities of Local Authority Chief Officers, Public Administration, 63, 41–59. and
- 1978. Housing Policy and the State. London : Macmillan. et al.
- 1975. Professionalism and the Role of Architects in Local Authority Housing, Royal Institute of British Architects, 82.
- 1984. Political Coalitions in Britain: The Local Context, Teaching Politics, 13, 249–259.
- 1970. Urban Renewal in Liverpool. London : Bell.
- 1976. Second City Politics. London : Oxford University Press.
- 1979. Not Much Improvement. London : Heinemann. and
- 1984. An Alternative Political Strategy? Liberals in Power in English Local Government. Local Government Studies 10, 69–83.
- 1981. Control and Power in Central-Local Government Relations. Farnborough : Gower.
- 1979. Urban Politics: A Sociological Interpretation. London : Hutchinson.
- 1984. Re-thinking Local Politics, in Boddy and Fudge (1984).
- 1984. The Idea of Neighbourhood. London : Pluto.
- 1980. From Programme Budgeting to Policy Analysis: Corporate Approaches in Local Government. Public Administration 59, 155–187.
- 1983. Towards Salaried Councillors?– The Special Responsibility Allowances, Local Government Studies 9, 10–15.
- 1983. Decentralisation and Neighbourhood Management – Is the Mood Changing Local Government Studies 9, 38–42.
- 1985. Asian Politics and Housing Renewal, Policy and Politics 13, 381–303. and
- 1985. The Politics of Urban Renewal in Withington Village, Manchester 1962–1983. PhD Thesis, University of Manchester.
- 1980. Town Planners in Search of a Role. Bristol : SAUS.
- 1976. The Battle for Tolmers Square. London : Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- 1982. Professional Power and Social Welfare. London : Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- 1980. The Political Organization of Local Authorities. London : RIPA/PSI.
- 1977. Values in the Policy Process, Policy and Politics 5, 1–22.
- 1978. Strategy and Conflict in Metropolitan Housing. London : Heinemann. and
- 1980. Public Policy Research. London : SSRC. and
- 1983. Managing the Post-Industrial City. London : Heinemann. and