Power Ahead: Meeting Ethiopia's Energy Needs Under a Changing Climate
Article first published online: 13 JUL 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Review of Development Economics
Special Issue: Climate Change and Economic Development. Guest Editors: Channing Arndt, Paul Chinowsky, Ken Strzepek, Finn Tarp, and James Thurlow
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 476–488, August 2012
How to Cite
Block, P. and Strzepek, K. (2012), Power Ahead: Meeting Ethiopia's Energy Needs Under a Changing Climate. Review of Development Economics, 16: 476–488. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9361.2012.00675.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 13 JUL 2012
- Agriconsulting S.p.A. and Mid-day International Consulting Engineers, “Gibe III Hydroelectric Project: Environmental and Social Impact Assessment, Additional Study on Downstream Impacts,” Agriconsulting S.p.A., Rome; Mid-day International Consulting Engineers, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (2009).
- “Hydropower Potential and Development Activities,” Energy Policy 30 (2002):1231–39. ,
- “Hydrologic Impacts of Climate Change on the Nile River Basin: Implications of the 2007 IPCC Scenarios,” Climatic Change 100 (2010):433–61. , , and ,
- “Interannual Variability and Ensemble Forecast of Upper Blue Nile Basin Kiremt Season Precipitation,” Journal of Hydrometeorology 8 (2007):327–43. and ,
- “Economic Analysis of Large-scale Upstream River Basin Development on the Blue Nile in Ethiopia Considering Transient Conditions, Climate Variability, and Climate Change,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 136 (2010):156–66. and ,
- “Monthly Discharge Data for World Rivers,” CISL Research Data Archive, (2001). Available at dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds552.1 ,
- Bureau of Reclamation, US Department of Interior, Land and Water Resources of the Blue Nile Basin: Ethiopia, Main Report and Appendices I–V, Washington, DC: Government Printing Office (1964).
- “June–September Rainfall in North-eastern Africa and Atmospheric Signals Over the Tropics: A Zonal Perspective,” International Journal of Climatology 15 (1995):773–83. ,
- “The Climate and Hydrology of the Upper Blue Nile, Ethiopia,” Geographical Journal 166 (2000):49–62. ,
- EEPCo., Facts About Power Plants in Brief, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: EEPCo. (2004).
- “Regionalization and Spatial Estimation of Ethiopian Mean Annual Rainfall,” International Journal of Climatology 10 (1990):473–94. and ,
- Embassy of Japan in Ethiopia, “Study on the Energy Sector in Ethiopia,” Addis Ababa (2008). Available at: http://www.et.emb-japan.go.jp/electric_report_english.pdf
- Ethiopian Rural Development and Promotion Center, “Solar and Wind Energy Utilization and Project Development Scenarios,” Final report, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (2007).
- Aspects of Climate and Water Budget in Ethiopia, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Addis Ababa University Press (1977). ,
- “A Global Perspective on African Climate,” Climatic Change 90 (2008):359–83. , , , and ,
- “Ethiopian Highlands. World Survey of Climatology,” in H. Landsberg (ed.), Climates of Africa, vol. 10, Amsterdam: Elsevier (1972):369–88. ,
- “Hydropower of Ethiopia: Status, Potential, Prospects,” Ethiopian Association of Civil Engineers (2009). Available at http://www2.webng.com/bahirdarab/hydropower.pdf ,
- “The Status of World Geothermal Power Generation 1995–2000,” Geothermics 30 (2001):1–27. ,
- Climate Change Impacts on Hydrology and Water Resources of the Upper Blue Nile River Basin, Ethiopia. Columbia, Sri Lanka: International Water Management Institute (2008). , , and ,
- Ministry of Water Resources, Water Sector Development Programme 2002–2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (2002).
- Ministry of Water Resources, , and , National Water Development Report for Ethiopia, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: UNESCO World Water Assessment Program (2004).
- “An Improved Method of Constructing a Database of Monthly Climate Observations and Associated High-resolution Grids,” International Journal of Climatology 25 (2005):693–712. and ,
- Nazret (Ethiopian News Website), “EEPCo Set to Push Access to Electricity to 100 Percent in 10 Years,” Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 19 March 2008.
- “A Preliminary Assessment of Characteristics and Long-term Variability of Rainfall in Ethiopia—Basis for Sustainable Land Use and Resource Management,” Paper presented at the Conference in International Agriculture Research, Deutscher Tropentag, Witzenhausen, 9–11 October 2002. and ,
- “Economic Growth in a Cross-section of Nonindustrial Countries: Does Colonial Heritage Matter for Africa?” Review of Development Economics 7 (2003):478–95. ,
- “Adaptation to Climate Change in Ethiopia,” Review of Development Economics 16 (2012):489–502. , , and ,
- “Characterization and Variability of Kiremt Rainy Season Over Ethiopia,” Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 89 (2005):153–180. and ,
- “Rainfall Variability in the Ethiopian and Eritrean Highlands and its Link with the Southern Oscillation Index,” Journal of Biogeography 22 (1995):945–52. and ,
- “Review Session CSD-14,” United Nations, New York: United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development (2006). ,
- World Bank, Economics of Adaptation to Climate Change: Country Case Studies, World Bank, Washington, DC (2011). Available at: http://climatechange.worldbank.org/content/country-case-studies-economics-adaptation-climate-change.
- “Climate Change and Hydrologic Models: A Review of Existing Gaps and Recent Research Developments,” Water Resources Management 13 (1999):369–82. ,
- “WatBal: An Integrated Water Balance Model for Climate Impact Assessment of River Basin Runoff,” International Journal of Water Resources 12 (1996):121–39. ,
- “Hydrological Response of a Catchment to Climate Change in the Upper Beles River Basin, Upper Blue Nile, Ethiopia,” Nile Basin Water Engineering Scientific Magazine 2 (2009):49–59. , , and ,