This research was supported by NSF grant DMS04-37167, the James McKeen Cattell Fund, and grants DA01070 and DA00017 from the National Institute on Drug Abuse. We would like to thank Bengt Muthén and Siek-Toon Khoo for providing the School Data and their unpublished manuscript. We also thank two reviewers who provided suggestions that helped to improve the paper.
MULTILEVEL COVARIANCE STRUCTURE ANALYSIS BY FITTING MULTIPLE SINGLE-LEVEL MODELS
Version of Record online: 18 MAY 2007
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 53–82, December 2007
How to Cite
Yuan, K.-H. and Bentler, P. M. (2007), MULTILEVEL COVARIANCE STRUCTURE ANALYSIS BY FITTING MULTIPLE SINGLE-LEVEL MODELS. Sociological Methodology, 37: 53–82. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9531.2007.00182.x
- Issue online: 18 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 18 MAY 2007
- 2006. EQS 6 Structural Equations Program Manual. Encino , CA: Multivariate Software.
- 1999. “Structural Equation Modeling with Small Samples: Test Statistics. Multivariate Behavioral Research 34: 181–97. , and .
- 1996. “An Alternative Two-Stage Least Squares (2SLS) Estimator for Latent Variable Equations. Psychometrika 61: 109–21.
- 1984. “Asymptotic Distribution-Free Methods for the Analysis of Covariance Structures. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology 37: 62–83.
- Multilevel Structural Equation Modeling.” Pp. 437–480 in Handbook of Multilevel Analysis, edited by J.De Leeuw and E.Meijer. New York : Springer. , and . 2007. “
- 2003. Multilevel Statistical Models. 3d ed. London : Arnold.
- 2002. Multilevel Analysis: Techniques and Applications. Mahwah , NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- 1999. “Cutoff Criteria for Fit Indexes in Covariance Structure Analysis: Conventional Criteria Versus new Alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling 6: 1–55. , and .
- 1996. LISREL 8 Users' Reference Guide. Chicago : Scientific Software International. , and .
- 1966. “A Note on a MANOVA Model Applied to Problems in Growth Curves. Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 18: 75–86.
- 1990. “Multilevel Analysis of Structural Equation Models. Biometrika 77: 763–72.
- 1998. “Analysis of Two-Level Structural Equation Models via EM Type Algorithms. Statistica Sinica 8: 749–66. , and .
- 2001. “Hypothesis Testing and Model Comparisons in Two-Level Structural Equation Models. Multivariate Behavior Research 36: 639–55. , and .
- 2004. “An EM Algorithm for Fitting Two-Level Structural Equation Models. Psychometrika 69: 101–22. , and .
- 1993. “Regression Analysis of Multilevel Data with Measurement Error. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology 46: 301–11.
- 1999. Matrix Differential Calculus with Applications in Statistics and Econometrics Rev. ed. New York : Wiley. , and, .
- 1989. “Balanced Versus Unbalanced Designs for Linear Structural Relations in Two-Level Data. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology 42: 215–32. , and .
- 1994. “Multilevel Covariance Structure Analysis. Sociological Methods and Research 22: 376–98.
- 1997. “Multilevel Latent Variable Modeling in Multiple Populations.” Unpublished Manuscript. , , and .
- 1995. “Complex Sample Data in Structural Equation Modeling.” Pp. 267–316 in Sociological Methodology, vol. 25, edited by P. V.Marsden. Cambridge , MA: Blackwell Publishing. , and .
- 1992. “Maximum Likelihood and Generalized Least Squares Analyses of Two-Level Structural Equation Models. Statistics and Probability Letters 14: 25–30. , and .
- 2002. Hierarchical Linear Models. 2d ed. Newbury Park , CA: Sage. , and .
- 1994. “Corrections to Test Statistics and Standard Errors in Covariance Structure Analysis.” Pp. 399–419 in Latent Variables Analysis: Applications for Developmental Research, edited by A.Von Eye and C. C.Clogg. Thousand Oaks , CA: Sage. , and .
- 1993. “Effect of Estimation Method on Incremental Fit Indexes for Covariance Structure Models. Applied Psychological Measurement 17: 365–77. , and .
- 1998. “Normal Theory Based Test Statistics in Structural Equation Modeling. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology 51: 289–309. , and .
- 2000. “Three Likelihood-based Methods for Mean and Covariance Structure Analysis with Nonnormal Missing Data.” Pp.167–202 in Sociological Methodology, vol, 30, edited by M. E.Sobel and M. P.Becker. Boston , MA: Blackwell Publishing. .
- 2002. “On Normal Theory Based Inference for Multilevel Models with Distributional Violations. Psychometrika 67: 539–61. .
- 2003. “Eight Test Statistics for Multilevel Structural Equation Models. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 44: 89–107. .
- 2006. “Asymptotic Robustness of Standard Errors in Multilevel Structural Equation Models. Journal of Multivariate Analysis 97: 1121–41. .
- 2005. “On Nonequivalence of Several Procedures of Structural Equation Modeling. Psychometrika 70: 791–98. , and .
- 2000. “Estimating Equations with Nuisance Parameters: Theory and Applications. Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 52: 343–50. , and .
- 2002. “A Unified Approach to Exploratory Factor Analysis with Missing Data, Nonnormal Data, and in the Presence of Outliers. Psychometrika 67: 95–122. , , and .
- 2003. “Assessing the Effect of Model Misspecifications on Parameter Estimates in Structural Equation Models.” Pp. 241–65 in Sociological Methodology, vol. 33, edited by R. M.Stolzenberg. Boston , MA: Blackwell Publishing. .