We thank the editor and the anonymous reviewers as well as Javier Garcia-Manglano, Sarah Kendig, and Xiaolu Wang for helpful comments and suggestions. Earlier versions of this papaer were presented at the Institute for Poverty, University of Wisconsin–Madison; the annual meetings of the Population Association of America; and the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock Germany. Research funding from NICHD (HD 29550) is gratefully acknowledged. Direct correspondence to Lawrence L. Wu, Department of Sociology, Puck Building, 295 Lafayette Street, 4th floor, New York University, New York, NY 10012-9605; e-mail: email@example.com.
EFFECTS OF EXPOSURE ON PREVALENCE AND CUMULATIVE RELATIVE RISK: DIRECT AND INDIRECT EFFECTS IN A RECURSIVE HAZARD MODEL
Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2009
© 2009 by American Sociological Association
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 185–232, August 2009
How to Cite
Wu, L. L. and Martin, S. P. (2009), EFFECTS OF EXPOSURE ON PREVALENCE AND CUMULATIVE RELATIVE RISK: DIRECT AND INDIRECT EFFECTS IN A RECURSIVE HAZARD MODEL. Sociological Methodology, 39: 185–232. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9531.2009.01212.x
- Issue online: 20 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2009
- 1978. “Nonparametric Inference for a Family of Counting Processes. Annals of Statistics 6(4):701–26.
- 1974. “Covariance Analysis of Censored Survival Data. Biometrics 30(1):89–99.
- 1972. “Regression Models and Life Tables” (with discussion). Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, 34(2):187–220.
- 1993. “Standardization and Decomposition of Rates: A User's Manual. Current Population Reports Special Studies P-23, No. 186. Washington , DC : U.S. Census Bureau. .
- 1975. Introduction to Structural Equation Models. New York : Academic Press. .
- 1978. Opportunity and Change. New York : Academic Press. , and .
- 2009. “Births: Preliminary Data for 2007. National Vital Statistics Reports Volume 57, No. 12. National Center for Health Statistics, Rockville , MD . , , and .
- 1978 Income and Independence Effects on Marital Dissolution: Results from the Seattle and Denver Income-Maintenance Experiments. American Journal of Sociology 84(3):611–33. , , and .
- 1980. The Statistical Analysis of Failure Time Data. New York : Wiley. , and .
- 1997. “Parental Divorce during Childhood: Age at First Intercourse, Partnership, and Parenthood. Population Studies 51(1):41–55. , and .
- 1955. “Components of a Difference Between Two Rates. Journal of the American Statistical Association 50(272):1168–94.
- 1993. “Simultaneous Equations for Hazards: Marriage Duration and Fertility Timing. Journal of Econometrics 56(1/2):189–217. .
- 1980. “Social Background and School Continuation Decisions. Journal of the American Statistical Association 75(370):295–305.
- 1996. “A Decomposition of Trends in the Nonmarital Fertility Ratios of Blacks and Whites in the United States, 1960 to 1992. Demography 33(2):141–52. , , and .
- 1980. “The Measurement and Decomposition of Causal Effects in Nonlinear and Nonadditive Models.” Pp. 459–88 in Sociological Methodology, vol. 11, edited by KarlSchuessler. San Francisco , CA : Jossey-Bass.
- 1976. “Rewards, Resources and the Rate of Mobility: A Nonstationary Multivariate Stochastic Model. American Sociological Review 41(2):338–60. .
- 1984. Social Dynamics: Models and Methods. Orlando : Academic Press. , and .
- 1963. The Third Child: A Study in the Prediction of Fertility. Princeton : Princeton University Press. , ., and .
- 1984. “Regression Models with Ordinal Variables. American Sociological Review 49(4):512–25. , and .
- 1989. “Issues in Smoothing Empirical Hazards.” Pp. 127–59 in Sociological Methodology, vol. 19, edited by Clifford C.Clogg. Washington , DC : American Sociological Association.
- 1990. “Simple Graphical Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Hazard Rate Models.” Pp. 184–99, in Event History Analyses in Life Course Research, edited by Karl UlrichMayer and Nancy BrandonTuma, Madison , WI : University of Wisconsin Press.
- 1993. “Family Structure and the Risk of a Premarital Birth. American Sociological Review 58(2):210–32. , and .
- 1990. “Local Hazard Models.” Pp. 141–80 in Sociological Methodology, vol. 20, edited by Clifford C.Clogg. Washington , DC : American Sociological Association. , and .