PATHS AND SEMIPATHS: RECONCEPTUALIZING STRUCTURAL COHESION IN TERMS OF DIRECTED RELATIONS
Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2009
© 2009 by American Sociological Association
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 117–150, August 2009
How to Cite
Grannis, R. (2009), PATHS AND SEMIPATHS: RECONCEPTUALIZING STRUCTURAL COHESION IN TERMS OF DIRECTED RELATIONS. Sociological Methodology, 39: 117–150. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9531.2009.01213.x
- Issue online: 20 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2009
- American Sociological Association. 2003. Guide to Graduate Graduate Programs of Sociology. Washington , DC : American Sociological Association.
- 2001. Digraphs: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications. London : Springer-Verlag. , and .
- 1994. “Patterns in the Recall of Persons in a Religious Community. Social Networks 16:347–79. , and .
- 2004. “The Academic Caste System: Prestige Hierarchies in Ph.D. Exchange Networks. American Sociological Review 69:239–64. .
- 1987. “Social Contagion and Innovation: Cohesion Versus Structural Equivalence. American Journal of Sociology 92:1287–335.
- 2003. “Network Inference, Error, and Informant (In)accuracy: A Bayesian Approach. Social Networks 25:103–40. .
- 1993. “Accuracy and Reliability of Self-Reported Data in Interorganizational Networks. Social Networks 15:377–98. , , and .
- 1998. “Seeing Things Clearly: Social Structure, Personality, and Accuracy in Social Network Perception. Social Networks 20:331–51. .
- 1988. “Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital. American Journal of Sociology 94:95–120.
- 1992. “American Sociology Since the Seventies: The Emerging Identity Crisis in the Discipline.” Pp. 197–234 in Sociology and Its Publics: The Forms and Fates of Disciplinary Organization, edited by Terence C.Halliday and JanowitzMorris. Chicago , IL : University of Chicago Press. , and .
- 1972. “Theoretical Improvements in Algorithmic Efficiency for Network Flow Problems. Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery 19:248–64. , and .
- 1962. Flows in Networks. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. , and .
- 1979. “Centrality in Social Networks: Conceptual Clarification. Social Networks 1:215–39.
- 1987. “Words, Deeds, and Social Structure: A Preliminary Study of the Reliability of Informants. Human Organizations 46:330–34. , and .
- 1987. “Cognitive Structure and Informant Accuracy. American Anthropologist 89:310–25. , , and .
- 1998. A Structural Theory of Social Influence. Cambridge , England : Cambridge University Press.
- 1973. “The Strength of Weak Ties. American Journal of Sociology 81:1287–303. .
- 1969. Graph Theory. Reading , MA : Addison-Wesley. .
- 1965. Structural Models: An Introduction to the Theory of Directed Graphs. New York : Wiley. , , and .
- 1979. “On Balance and Attribution.” Pp. 11–23 in Perspectives on Social Network Research, edited by P. W.Holland and S.Leinhardt. New York : Academic Press. .
- 1970. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Chicago , IL : University of Chicago Press. .
- 1995. “Doctoral Judgment: A Sweeping National Study Assesses the Quality of Research Programming in 41 Fields. Chronicle of Higher Education 41:A20–A30.
- 2002. “Power, Authority, and the Constraint of Belief Systems. American Journal of Sociology 107:861–904. .
- 2002. “The Importance of Relationship Timing for Diffusion. Social Forces 81:25–56. .
- 2003. “Structural Cohesion and Embeddedness: A Hierarchical Concept of Social Groups. American Sociological Review 68:103–27. , and .
- 1981. “Heiderian Balance as a Group Phenomenon. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 40:862–67.
- 2001. “The Structure of Scientific Collaboration Networks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 98:404–9.
- 1982. “Predicting the Structure of a Communications Network from Recalled Data. Social Networks 4:285–304. , and .
- 1999. Small Worlds. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1988. “Structural Analysis: From Method and Metaphor to Theory and Substance.” Pp. 19–61 in Social Structures: A Network Approach, edited by BarryWellman and S. D.Berkowitz. Cambridge , England : Cambridge University Press. .