The views expressed in this paper are those of the authors, and no official endorsement by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality or the Department of Health and Human Services is intended or should be inferred. The authors would like to thank the editor and reviewers for their valuable comments. Bollen gratefully acknowledges support from NSF SES 0617276, NIDA 1-R01-DA13148-01, and DA013148-05A2. Direct correspondence to James B. Kirby, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 540 Gaither Road, Rockville, MD 20850; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
USING INSTRUMENTAL VARIABLE TESTS TO EVALUATE MODEL SPECIFICATION IN LATENT VARIABLE STRUCTURAL EQUATION MODELS
Article first published online: 2 JUL 2009
© 2009 by American Sociological Association
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 327–355, August 2009
How to Cite
Kirby, J. B. and Bollen, K. A. (2009), USING INSTRUMENTAL VARIABLE TESTS TO EVALUATE MODEL SPECIFICATION IN LATENT VARIABLE STRUCTURAL EQUATION MODELS. Sociological Methodology, 39: 327–355. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9531.2009.01217.x
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 2 JUL 2009
- 1957. “A Generalized Classical Method of Linear Estimation of Coefficients in a Structural Equation. Econometrica 25:77–83.
- 1960. “On Finite Sample Distributions on Generalized Classical Linear Identifiability Test Statistics. Journal of the American Statistical Association 55:650–59.
- 2003. “Instrumental Variables and GMM: Estimation and Testing.” Working Paper 545, Department of Economics, Boston College . , , and .
- 1995. EQS: Structural Equations Program Manual, Version 5.0. Los Angeles , CA : BMDP Statistical Software.
- 1989. Structural Equations with Latent Variables. New York : Wiley.
- 1990. “A Comment on Model Evaluation and Modification. Multivariate Behavioral Research 25:181–85.
- 1996. “An Alternative Two Stage Least Squares (2SLS) Estimator for Latent Variable Equations. Psychometrika 61:109–21.
- 2001. “Two-Stage Least Squares and Latent Variable Models: Simultaneous Estimation and Robustness to Misspecifications.” Pp. 119–38 in Structural Equation Modeling: Present and Future, edited by R.Cudeck, S.Du Toit, and D.Sorbom. Lincolnwood , IL : Scientific Software.
- 2007. “Latent Variable Models Under Misspecification: Two-Stage Least Squares (2SLS) and Maximum Likelihood (ML) Estimators. Sociological Methods and Research 36:48–86. , , , , and .
- 2007. “A Polychoric Instrumental Variable (PIV) Estimator for Structural Equation Models with Categorical Variables. Psychometrika 72:309–26. , and .
- 1993. “Confirmatory Tetrad Analysis.” Pp. 147–75 in Sociological Methodology, vol. 23, edited by PeterMarsden. Cambridge , MA : Blackwell Publishing. , and .
- 1984. “Asymptotically Distribution-Free Methods for the Analysis of Covariance Structures. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology 37:62–83.
- 2001. “Improper Solutions in Structural Equation Models: Causes, Consequences, and Strategies. Sociological Methods and Research 29:468–508. , , , , and .
- 2008. “An Empirical Evaluation of the Use of Fixed Cutoff Points in RMSEA Test Statistic in Structural Equation Models. Sociological Methods and Research 36:462–94. , , , , and .
- 2002. “The Noncentral Chi-Square Distribution in Misspecified Structural Equation Models: Finite Sample Results from a Monte Carlo Simulation. Multivariate Behavioral Research 37:1–36. , , , , and .
- 1993. Estimation and Inference in Econometrics. New York : Oxford University Press. , and .
- 1983. “Factor Analysis by Instrumental Methods: A Monte Carlo Study of Some Estimation Procedures.” (REPORT No. 80-2) University of Uppsala, Department of Statistics , Uppsala , Sweden . .
- 1978. “Specification Tests in Econometrics. Econometrica 46:1251–71.
- 1973. “A General Method for Estimating a Linear Structural Equation System.” Pp. 85–112 in Structural Equation Models in the Social Science, edited by A. S.Goldberger and O. D.Duncan. New York : Academic Press.
- 1983. “Factor Analysis as an Error-in-variables Model.” Pp. 185–96 in Principles of Modern Psychological Measurement, edited by H.Wainer and S.Messick. Hillsdale , NJ : Lawrence Erlbaum.
- 1996. LISREL 8: User's Reference Guide. Chicago : Scientific Software International. , and .
- 1988. “Limited Information Parameter Estimates for Latent or Mixed Manifest and Latent Variable Models. Multivariate Behavioral Research 23:155–67. , , and .
- 1986. “Specification Searches in Covariance Structure Modeling. Psychological Bulletin 100(1):107–20. .
- 1964. “Instrumental Variables in Factor Analysis. Psychometrika 29:105–13. .
- 1987. “The Sensitivity of an Empirical Model of Married Women's Hours of Work to Economic and Statistical Assumptions. Econometrica 55:765–99.
- 2001. “Monte Carlo Experiments: Design and Implementation. Structural Equation Modeling 8:287–312. , , , , and .
- 1958. “The Estimation of Economic Relationships Using Instrumental Variables. Econometrica 26:393–415.
- 1997. “Instrumental Variable Regression with Weak Instruments. Econometrica 65:557–86. , and .
- 1953. “Estimation and Simultaneous Correlation in Complete Equation Systems.” Central Planning Bureau , The Hague , Netherlands .