This research has been supported by a grant from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (HD47289). An earlier version of this article was presented at the 2008 annual meeting of the American Sociological Association in Boston. Direct correspondence to Anthony Daniel Perez at email@example.com or Charles Hirschman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ESTIMATING NET INTERRACIAL MOBILITY IN THE UNITED STATES: A RESIDUAL METHODS APPROACH
Article first published online: 14 AUG 2009
© 2009 by American Sociological Association
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 31–71, August 2009
How to Cite
Perez, A. D. and Hirschman, C. (2009), ESTIMATING NET INTERRACIAL MOBILITY IN THE UNITED STATES: A RESIDUAL METHODS APPROACH. Sociological Methodology, 39: 31–71. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9531.2009.01220.x
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 14 AUG 2009
- 1994. “Estimates of Emigration of the Foreign-Born Population:1980–1990.” Technical Working Paper No. 9, Population Division, U.S. Census Bureau , Washington , DC . , and .
- 1990. Ethnic Identity: The Transformation of White America. New Haven : Yale University Press.
- 1986. “Patterns of Ethnic Marriage in the United States. Social Forces 65:202–23. , and .
- 2001. Who Counts? The Politics of Census Taking in Contemporary America. New York : Russell Sage Foundation. , and .
- 2002. “United States Life Tables, 2000.” National Vital Statistics Reports 51(3). Hyattsville , MD : National Center for Health Statistics . .
- 2006 United States Life Tables, 2003.” National Vital Statistics Reports 54(14). Hyattsville , MD : National Center for Health Statistics . .
- 1964. The Protestant Establishment: Aristocracy and Caste in America. New York : Vintage Books. .
- 1998. “Who Was White? The Disappearance of Non-European White Identities and the Formation of European Racial Whiteness. Ethnic and Racial Studies 21:1029–55. .
- 1955. “The Population of the United States in 1950 Classified by Age, Sex, and Color—A Revision of Census Figures. Journal of the American Statistical Association 50, 16–54.
- 1991. Who Is Black? One Nation's Definition. University Park : Penn State University Press. .
- 1963. “Occupation Trends and Patterns of Net Mobility. Demography 3:1–18. .
- 1994. “Ethnic Demography: U.S. Immigration and Ethnic Variation.” Pp. 1–30 in Immigration and Ethnicity: The Integration of America's Newest Arrivals, edited by BarryEdmonston and JeffreyPassel. Washington , DC : Urban Institute. , and .
- 2002. “Recent Trends in Intermarriage and Immigration and Their Effects on the Future Racial Composition of the U.S. Population,” Pp. 227–55 in The New Race Question: How the Census Counts Multiracial Individuals, edited by JoelPerlmann and Mary C.Waters. New York : Russell Sage Foundation. , , and .
- 1989. “Adjusting the 1980 Census of Population and Housing. Journal of the American Statistical Association 84(408):927–44. , , and .
- 1993. “Changing Identification Among American Indians and Alaskan Natives. Demography 30:635–52. .
- 1995. “The Enduring and Vanishing American Indian. Ethnic and Racial Studies 18:89–108. .
- 1991. “The New Census Question About Ancestry: What Did It Tell Us Demography 28:411–30. .
- 1999. “Racial Issues: Recent Trends in Residential Patterns and Intermarriage.” Pp. 85–128 in Diversity and Its Discontents: Cultural Conflict and Common Ground in Contemporary American Society, edited by Neil J.Smelser and Jeffrey C.Alexander. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. .
- 2002. “Racial Identities in 2000: The Response to the Multiple Race Response Option.” Pp. 33–61 in The New Race Question: How the Census Counts Multiracial Individuals, edited by JoelPerlmann and Mary C.Waters. New York : Russell Sage Foundation. .
- 1988. The Coverage of Population in the 1980 Census, Evaluation and Research Report PHC80-E4. Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census . , , and .
- 1998. “Classifying People by Race.” Pp. 109–119 in The Social Construction of Race in America, edited by Joan W.Ferrante and PrinceBrown. New York : Longman. , and .
- 2006. Century of Difference: How America Changed in the Last One Hundred Years. New York : Russell Sage Foundation. , and .
- 1937. The Negro in the United States, Rev. ed. New York : Macmillan. .
- 2002. Racism: A Short History. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 2003. “Evaluating Components of International Migration: Native-Born Emigrants.” Population Division Working Paper Series No. 63, U.S. Census Bureau , Washington , DC . , , , and .
- 1992. “The Contribution of Immigration to the Growth and Ethnic Diversity of the American Population. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 136(2):157–75. .
- 1966. “Effect of Census Errors on the Measurement of Net Migration. Demography 3(2):393–415. .
- 1994. “The 1990 Census Count of American Indians: What Do the Numbers Really Mean Social Science Quarterly 75:580–93. .
- 2002. “Who Is Multiracial? Assessing the Complexity of Lived Race. American Sociological Review 67:614–27. , and .
- 1921. Selective Migration as a Factor in Child Welfare in the United States, with Special Reference to Iowa. Iowa City : University of Iowa Press.
- 1928. The American Negro: A Study in Racial Crossing. New York : Knopf.
- 1988. Strangers in the Land: Patterns of American Nativism, 1860–1925 . 2nd ed. New Brunswick , NJ : Rutgers University Press. .
- 1992. “An Overview of Demographic Analysis as a Method for Evaluating Census Coverage in the U.S. Population Index 58:587–607. , and .
- 2002. “The Meaning of Race and Ethnic Population Projections.” Pp. 51–72 in American Diversity: A Demographic Challenge for the Twenty-First Century, edited by Nancy A.Denton and Stewart E.Tolnay. Albany : State University of New York Press. .
- 2004. “The Origins and Demise of the Concept of Race. Population and Development Review 30:385–415. .
- 2000. “The Meaning and Measurement of Race in the U.S. Census: Glimpses in the Future. Demography 37:381–93. , , and .
- 2005. “The One Drop Rule & the One Hate Rule. Daedalus 134:18–28.
- 1994. “How 4.5 Million Irish Immigrants Became 40 Million Irish-Americans: Demographic and Subjective Aspects of the Ethnic Composition of White Americans. American Sociological Review 59:64–82. , and .
- 2003. United States Census 2000 Population with Bridged Race Categories. Vital and Health Statistics Series 2—Data Evaluation and Methods Research 2(135):1–55. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. “Emigration: Implications for U.S. Immigration Policy Research.” Pp. 587–618 in Migration Between Mexico and the United States: Binational Study, Vol. 2, Research Reports and Background Materials . Mexico City and Washington , DC : Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the U.S. Commission on Immigration Reform .
- 2002. “Attitudes Toward American Immigration Policy: The Role of Ingroup-Outgroup Bias, Economic Concern, and Obedience to Law. Journal of Social Psychology 142:617–34 , and .
- 1993. “The Ethnic Responses of Whites: What Causes Their Instability, Simplification, and Inconsistency Social Forces 72:421–50. , and .
- 2008. “A Practical Approach to Using Multiple-Race Response Data: A Bridging Method for Public-Use Microdata. Demography 45(1):143–55. , and .
- 2004. “How Race Counts for Hispanic Americans. Sage Race Relations Abstracts 29:7–19.
- 2005. “White Racial and Ethnic Identity in the United States. Annual Review of Sociology31:245–61. , and .
- 1994. “The Formation of We-Images: A Process Theory.” Pp. 175–97 in Social Theory and the Politics of Identity, edited by CraigCalhoun. Oxford , England : Blackwell. .
- 2003. “Foreign-Born Emigration from the United States: 1990 to 2000.” Presented at the annual meeting of the Population Association of America, Minneapolis , MN .
- 2002. “Evaluating Components of International Migration: Foreign-Born Emigrants,” Technical Working Paper No. 62, Population Division, U.S. Census Bureau , Washington , DC . , , and .
- 1996. American Indian Ethnic Renewal: Red Power and the Resurgence of Identity and Culture. New York : Oxford University Press. .
- National Center for Health Statistics. 1985. U.S. Decennial Life Tables for 1979–81. Vol. 1, No. 1. DHHS Pub. No. (PHS) 85-1150-1. Public Health Service. Washington, DC : U.S. Government Printing Office .
- National Center for Health Statistics. 1997. U.S. Decennial Life Tables for 1989–91. Vol. 1, No. 1. Hyattsville , MD . 1997.
- Office of Management and Budget. 1977. “Race and Ethnic Standards for Federal Statistics and Administrative Reporting.” Statistical Policy Directive No. 15, pp. 37–38.
- Office of Management and Budget. 1997. “Revisions to the Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity. Federal Register. Vol. 62, No. 210, October 30/Notices, pp. 58782–90.
- 1976. “Provisional Evaluation of the 1970 Census Count of American Indians. Demography 13:397–409.
- 1996. “The Growing American Indian Population, 1960–1990: Beyond Demography.” Pp. 79–102 in Changing Numbers, Changing Needs, edited by Gary D.Sandefur, RonaldRindfuss, and BarneyCohen. Washington , DC : National Academy Press.
- 1986. “Quality of 1980 Census Data for American Indians. Social Biology 33:163–82. , and .
- 1987. “Change in the Undocumented Alien Population in the United States, 1979–1983. International Migration Review 21(4, Winter):1304–34. and .
- 2004. “Estimates of the Legal and Unauthorized Foreign-Born Population for the United States and Selected States, Based on Census 2000.” Paper prepared for U.S. Bureau of the Census, Washington , DC . , , and .
- 2008. “Who is Hispanic? Shades of Ethnicity Among Latino/a Youth.” Pp. 17–35 in Racism in Post-Race America: New Theories, New Directions, edited by CharlesGallagher. Chapel Hill , NC : Social Forces Publishing. .
- 2009. “An Historical Perspective on the Racial and Ethnic Composition of the American Population at the Turn of the Millennium. Population and Development Review 35(1):1–51. , and .
- Perlmann, Joel, and Mary C.Waters, eds. 2002. The New Race Question: How the Census Counts Multiracial Individuals. New York : Russell Sage Foundation.
- 2002. Shades of White: White Kids and Racial Identities in High School. Durham, NC : Duke University Press. .
- 1992. “Passing for White, Passing for Black. Transition 58:4–32. .
- 2001. Demography: Measuring and Modeling Population Processes. Oxford , England : Blackwell Publishers. , , and .
- 2007. “Social Boundaries and Marital Assimilation: Interpreting Trends in Racial and Ethnic Intermarriage. American Sociological Review 72:68–94. , and .
- 2008. “A Generation Away, Minorities May Become Majority in the U.S.” New York Times, August 14, p. 1. .
- 1996. “What Is the Role of Demographic Analysis in the 2000 United States Census Proceedings of Statistics Canada Symposium 1996: Non-sampling errors. Ottawa : Statistics Canada .
- 1993. “Estimation of Population Coverage in the 1990 United States Census Based on Demographic Analysis. Journal of the American Statistical Association 88(423):1061–71. , , , and .
- 1964. “Notes on the Concept of a Population. American Journal of Sociology 69:447–63.
- 1999. Quality of Death Rates by Race and Hispanic Origin: A Summary of Current Research. Vital and Health Statistics Series 2(128). , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. “Assessing Variability Due to Race Bridging: Application to Census Counts and Vital Rates for the Year 2000. Journal of the American Statistical Association 98:818–28. .
- 1961. “Social Mobility in Demographic Perspective. American Sociological Review 26:407–23.
- 2000. Counting on the Census? Race, Group Identity, and the Evasion of Politics. Washington DC : Brookings Press. .
- 1989. American Indians: The First of this Land. New York : Russell Sage. .
- 1997. “Some Observations About Racial Boundaries and the Experiences of American Indians. Ethnic and Racial Studies 20:667–89. .
- 2006. “New Racial Identities, Old Arguments: Continuing Biological Reification.” Pp. 83–102 in Mixed Messages: Multiracial Identities in the “Color Blind” Era, edited by David L.Brunsma. Boulder CO : Lynne Reinner Publishers. .
- 1958. “African Ancestry of the White American Population. Ohio Journal of Science 58:155–60.
- 1976. “Race Mixture: The Black Ancestry of White Americans.” Pp. 135–39 in Physical Anthropology and Archaeology, edited by Peter B.Hammon. New York : Macmillan.
- 1934. “Internal Migration in the United States.” Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press. .
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2001. The Fertility of American Women: June 2000. Current Population Reports P10-S43RV. Washington , DC .
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2002. “Comparison of A.C.E. Revision II Results with Demographic Analysis. DSSD A.C.E. Revision II Estimates Memorandum Series #PP-41. Washington , DC .
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2008. “An Older and More Diverse Nation by Midcentury,” Internet Press Release. Retrieved August 14, 2008 (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/012496.html).
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security. 2005. “Estimates of the Unauthorized Immigrant Population Residing in the United States: January 2005.” Retrieved August 14, 2008 (http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ILL_PE_2005.pdf).
- 1987. “A Count of the Uncountable: Estimates of Undocumented Aliens Counted in the 1980 United States Census. Demography 24(August 3):375–94. , and .
- 1980. “Foreign-Born Emigration from the United States: 1960 to 1970. Demography 17(February 1):71–84. , and .
- 1990. Ethnic Options: Choosing Identities in America. Berkeley : University of California Press. .
- 1980. New People: Miscegenation and Mulattoes in the United States. New York : Free Press. .
- 1997. “The Racial Identification of Biracial Children with One Asian Parent: Evidence from the 1990 Census. Social Forces 76:547–570. , and .