This research was supported by a grant from the Russell Sage Foundation. Direct correspondence to Bruce Western, Department of Sociology, 33 Kirkland Street, Cambridge MA 02138; e-mail: email@example.com.
VARIANCE FUNCTION REGRESSIONS FOR STUDYING INEQUALITY
Article first published online: 14 AUG 2009
© 2009 by American Sociological Association
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 293–326, August 2009
How to Cite
Western, B. and Bloome, D. (2009), VARIANCE FUNCTION REGRESSIONS FOR STUDYING INEQUALITY. Sociological Methodology, 39: 293–326. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9531.2009.01222.x
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 14 AUG 2009
- 2002. “Technical Change, Inequality, and the Labor Market. Journal of Economic Literature 40:70–72. .
- 1987. “Modelling Variance Heterogeneity in Normal Regression Using GLIM. Applied Statistics 36:332–39. .
- 1978. “Measures of Inequality. American Sociological Review 43:865–80.
- 1961. “Examination of Residuals.” Pp. 1–36 in Proceedings of the Fourth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, Vol. 1. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2006. “Sex Differences in Variance of Intelligence Across Childhood. Personality and Individual Differences 41:39–48. , and .
- 2005. “Trends in U.S. Wage Inequality: Re-Assessing the Revisionists.” National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 11627, National Bureau of Economic Research , Cambridge , MA . , , and .
- 1967. The American Occupational Structure. New York : Free Press. , and .
- 2001. “The Wage Penalty for Motherhood. American Sociological Review 66:204–25. , and .
- 1996. “Reconsidering the Declining Significance of Race: Racial Differences in Early Career Wages. American Sociological Review 61:541–56. , , and .
- Center for Human Resource Research. 2004. National Longitudinal Survey of Youth 1979–2000 [MRDF]. National Opinion Research Center, University of Chicago [producer]. Center for Human Resource Research, Ohio State University [distributor .
- 1983. “Diagnostics for Heteroscedasticity in Regression. Biometrika 76:1–10. , and .
- 1996. “Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973–1992. Econometrica 64:1001–44. , , and .
- 2006. “Bayesian Modelling of Heterogeneous Error and Genotypic × Environment Interaction Variables. Crop Breeding Genetics and Cytology 46:820–33. , and .
- 1976. “Estimating Regression Models with Multiplicative Heteroscedasticity. Econometrica 44:461–65.
- 2005. “Temporal and Regional Variation in Earnings Inequality: Urban China in Transition Between 1988 and 1995. Social Science Research 34:44–79. , and .
- 2008. “Two Types of Inequality: Inequality Between Persons and Inequality Between Subgroups. Sociological Methods and Research 37:31–74. , and .
- 1972. Inequality: A Reassessment of the Effect of Family and Schooling in America. New York : Harper. , , , , , and .
- 1993. “Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill. Journal of Political Economy 101:410–42. , , and .
- 1992. “Changes in Relative Wages, 1963–1987: Supply and Demand Factors. Quarterly Journal of Economics 107:35–78. , and .
- 2008. “The Rise of Intra-Occupational Wage Inequality in the United States, 1983 to 2002. American Sociological Review 73:129–57. , and .
- 2006. “Incarceration Length, Employment, and Earnings. American Economic Review 96:863–76.
- 1992. “Age, Experience, and Schooling: Decomposing Earnings Inequality in the United States and Brazil. Sociological Inquiry 62:220–45. , and .
- 2006. “Increasing Residual Wage Inequality: Composition Effects, Noisy Data, or Rising Demand for Skill American Economic Review 96:461–98. .
- 1992. “U.S. Earnings Levels and Earnings Inequality: A Review of Recent Trends and Proposed Explanations. Journal of Economic Literature 30:1333–81. , and .
- 2008. “Price Dispersion and Competition with Differentialed Sellers. Journal of Industrial Economics 56:654–78. .
- 2007. Categorically Unequal: The American Stratification System. New York : Russell Sage Foundation.
- 2000. “Explaining Levels of Within-Group Wage Inequality in U.S. Labor Markets. Demography 37:415–30. .
- 2008. “Survival Variability and Population Density. Nature 452:344–48. , , and .
- 1991. “Generalized Linear Models for the Analysis of Taguchi-Type Experiments. Applied Stochastic Models and Data Analysis 7:107–20. , and .
- 2003. “The Mark of a Criminal Record. American Journal of Sociology 108:937–75. .
- 1966. “Estimation with Heteroscedastic Error Terms. Econometrica 34:888.
- 2008. “Supersized Votes: Ballot Length, Uncertainty, and Choice in Direct Legislation Elections. Public Choice 135:319–36. .
- 2002. “An Efficient Algorithm for REML in Heteroscedastic Regression. Journal of Graphical and Compuational Statistics 11:836–47.
- 2001. “Exact and Approximate REML for Heteroscedastic Regression. Statistical Modelling 1:161–75. , , and .
- 2000. “A Sounder Basis for Class Analysis. American Journal of Sociology 105:1523–58.
- 2007. “Corporate Demography and Income Inequality. American Sociological Review 72:766–83. , and .
- 1998. Durable Inequality. Berkeley , CA : University of California Press. .
- U.S. Census Bureau. 19712006. Current Population Survey: March Survey. U.S. Census Bureau: Bureau of Labor Statistics .
- 1993. “Modelling Variance Heterogeneity: Residual Maximum Likelihood and Diagnostics. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B, 55:493–508.
- 2002. “The Impact of Incarceration on Wage Mobility and Inequality. American Sociological Review 67:526–46. .
- 2006. Punishment and Inequality in America. New York : Russell Sage Foundation. .