Address correspondence to: Shamus Khan, Department of Sociology, Columbia University, 413 Fayerweather Hall, 1180 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10027. Tel.: 212-854-2489. E-mail: email@example.com. This article is equally co-authored. We wish to thank Charles Camic, John DeLamater, Jeremy Freese, David Laitin, Alair MacLean, James Montgomery, Pamela Oliver, and especially Erik Olin Wright, Mustafa Emirbayer and Myra Marx Ferree for their extensive help. Thanks also to our five undergraduate administrators, Amanda Hinze, Danya Bader-Natal, Britin Wagner, Sarah Potter, and Leanna Trunzo. We also thank the three anonymous reviewers for their comments on a previous draft of this article.
Reasons and Inclusion: The Foundation of Deliberation*
Article first published online: 8 FEB 2008
2008 American Sociological Association
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 1–24, March 2008
How to Cite
Schneiderhan, E. and Khan, S. (2008), Reasons and Inclusion: The Foundation of Deliberation. Sociological Theory, 26: 1–24. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9558.2008.00316.x
- Issue published online: 8 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 8 FEB 2008
- 2004. Deliberation Day. New Haven : Yale University Press. and .
- 1998. “Experimentation in Social Psychology.” Pp. 99–142 in The Handbook of Social Psychology, edited by D. T.Gilbert, S. T.Fiske, and G.Lindzey. Boston , MA : McGraw-Hill. , , and .
- 1990. “Information Transmission in Debate. American Journal of Political Science 34:124–52. .
- 1992. “Strategic Models of Talk in Political Decision Making. International Political Science Review 13:45–58. .
- 2005. “Introduction. Acta Politica 40:153–68. and .
- 2001. “Participation, Activism, and Politics: The Porto Alegre Experiment. Politics and Society 29:43–72.
- 2003. “Emergent Public Spheres: Talking Politics in Participatory Governance. American Sociological Review 68:52–74.
- 1995. The Black Public Sphere. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1996. The Dissonance of Democracy: Listening, Conflict, and Citizenship. Ithaca , NY: Cornell University Press.
- 1996. Public Deliberation: Pluralism, Complexity, and Democracy. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press.
- 2005. “Studying ‘Everyday Talk’ in the Deliberative System. Acta Politica 40:269–83. and .
- 2001. “Jury Decision Making: 45 Years of Empirical Eesearch on Deliberating Groups. Psychology, Public Policy and Law 7:622–727. , , , , and .
- 2006. “On Making the Right Choice: The Deliberation-Without-Attention Effect. Science 311:1005–07. , , , and .
- 2000. Deliberative Democracy and Beyond: Liberals, Critics, Contestations. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 1998. Avoiding Politics: How Americans Produce Apathy in Everyday Life. New York : Cambridge University Press.
- 2003. “Culture in Interaction. American Journal of Sociology 108:735–94. and .
- 1998. “Deliberation as Discussion.” Pp. 44–68 in Deliberative Democracy, edited by J.Elster. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1991. Democracy and Deliberation: New Directions for Democratic Reform. New Haven : Yale University Press.
- 1995. The Voice of the People: Public Opinion and Democracy. New Haven : Yale University Press.
- 2003. “Consulting the Public Through Deliberative Polling. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 22:128.
- 2005. “Experimenting with a Democratic Ideal: Deliberative Polling and Public Opinion. Acta Politica 40:284–98. and .
- 1991. “Rethinking the Public Sphere: A Contribution to the Critique of Actually Existing Democracy.” Pp. 109–42 in Habermas and the Public Sphere, edited by C. J.Calhoun. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press.
- 1992. “Rethinking the Public Sphere: A Contribution to the Critique of Actually Existing Democracy.” Pp. 109–42 in Habermas and the Public Sphere, edited by C.Calhoun. Cambridge : MIT Press.
- 2001. “Accountable Autonomy: Toward Empowered Deliberation in Chicago Schools and Policing. Politics and Society 29:73–103.
- 2003. Deepening Democracy. London : Verso. and .
- 2000. “Democratic Deliberation Within. Philosophy and Public Affairs 29:79–107.
- 2003. Reflective Democracy. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 1996. Democracy and Disagreement. Cambridge , MA : Belknap. and .
- 2004. Why Deliberative Democracy? Princeton : Princeton University Press. and .
- 1984. Theory of Communicative Action. Boston , MA : Beacon Press.
- 1990. “Discourse Ethics.” In Moral Consciousness and Communicative Action. Cambridge : MIT Press.
- 1995. “Reconciliation Through the Public Use of Reason: Remarks on John Rawls's Political Liberalism. Journal of Philosophy 43.
- 2001. Cultural Dilemmas of Progressive Politics: Styles of Engagement Among Grassroots Activists. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2003. “Democracy and Development: Decentralized Planning in Kerala.” Pp. 77–110 in Deepening Democracy, edited by A.Fung and E. O.Wright. London : Verso. and .
- 1991. “Habermas on Strategic and Communicative Action. Political Theory 19:181–201.
- 1993. “Is Talk Really Cheap? Prompting Conversation Between Critical Theory and Rational Choice. American Political Science Review 81:74–86.
- 1994. “Aggregation and Deliberation: On the Possibility of Democratic Legitimacy. Political Theory 22:277–96. and .
- 1996. The Search for Political Community: American Activists Reinventing Commitment. New York : Cambridge University Press.
- 2002. “Considered Opinions: Deliberative Polling in Britain. British Journal of Political Science 32:455–87. , , and .
- 1987. “On Legitimacy and Political Deliberation. Political Theory 15:228–68.
- 1999. “Everyday Talk in the Deliberative System.” In Deliberative Politics: Essays on Democracy and Disagreement, edited by S.Macedo. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2000. “Experiments.” Pp. 887–92 in Encyclopedia of Sociology, edited by E. F.Borgatta and R. J. V.Montgomery. New York : Macmillan.
- 1994. “Kantian Constructivism and Reconstructivism: Rawls and Habermas in Dialogue. Ethics 105:44–63.
- 1999. The Poll with a Human Face. Mahwah , NJ : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. and .
- 2002. “Experimental Methods in Political Science. Annual Review of Political Science 5:31–61.
- 1989. Justice, Gender, and the Family. New York : Basic Books.
- 2006. “Is Telling Stories Good for Democracy? Rhetoric in Public Deliberation After 9/11. American Sociological Review 71:699–723. and .
- 1971. A Theory of Justice. Cambridge : Harvard University Press.
- 1995. “Political Liberalism: Reply to Habermas. Journal of Philosophy 92:132–80.
- 2005. “The Empirical Study of Deliberative Democracy: Setting a Research Agenda. Acta Politica 40:212–24.
- 1992. “Gender and Public Access: Women's Politics in Nineteenth-Century America.” Pp. 259–88 in Habermas and the Public Sphere, edited by C.Calhoun. Cambridge : MIT Press.
- 1997. “Against Deliberation. Political Theory 25:347–76.
- 1992. “Was There Ever a Public Sphere? If So When? Reflections on an American Case.” Pp. 143–63 in Habermas and the Public Sphere, edited by C.Calhoun. Cambridge : MIT Press.
- 1997. “Why Conversation is Not the Soul of Democracy. Critical Studies in Mass Communication 14:297–309.
- 1997. Difference Troubles: Queering Social Theory. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1999. “Enough Deliberation: Politics is about Interests and Power.” Pp. 28–38 in Deliberative Politics, edited by S.Macedo. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 2002. “Optimal Deliberation? Journal of Political Philosophy 10:196–211.
- 2002. “Discussion's Impact on Political Allocations: An Experimental Approach. Political Analysis 10:403–12. and .
- 2004. Deliberative Politics in Action. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , , , and .
- 1998. “Pathologies of Deliberation.” In Deliberative Democracy, edited by J.Elster. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2001. “Habermas in the Lab: A Study of Deliberation in an Experimental Setting. Political Psychology 22:809–26. and .
- 2001. “Habitat Conservation Planning: Certainly Empowered, Somewhat Deliberative, Questionably Democratic. Politics and Society 29:105–30.
- 1996. “Communication and the Other: Beyond Deliberative Democracy.” In Democracy and Difference: Contesting the Boundaries of the Political, edited by S.Benhabib. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1999. “Justice, Inclusion and Deliberative Democracy.” Pp. 151–58 in Deliberative Politics, edited by S.Macedo. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 2000. Inclusion and Democracy. Oxford : Oxford University Press.