Direct correspondence to: Gabriel Abend, Department of Sociology, Northwestern University, 1810 Chicago Ave., Evanston, IL 60208 (email@example.com). The origins of this paper lie in an invitation to reflect on the present and future of sociological theory. I am thankful to the organizers of the Junior Theorists Symposium 2005—Mathieu Deflem, Marion Fourcade, and Neil Gross—for this invitation, and to my discussant, Charles Camic. I also benefited from conversations with fellow “junior theorists” Pierre Kremp, Simone Polillo, Isaac Reed, Erika Summers-Effler, Jonathan VanAntwerpen, and Robb Willer. I presented a slightly different version of the argument at the 2005 Annual Retreat of the Society for Comparative Research, hosted by Central European University. At this conference I received useful suggestions from my discussant, Jack Goldstone, as well as from Carsten Schneider and Robin Stryker. Finally, I am indebted to Sareeta Amrute, Charles Camic, Mathieu Deflem, Marion Fourcade, Neil Gross, Carol Heimer, Adam Kissel, Donald Levine, Richard Morales, Michael Sauder, Arthur Stinchcombe, Devin B. Terhune, and the Sociological Theory editors and reviewers for their comments and criticisms on earlier drafts of this paper.
The Meaning of ‘Theory’*
Article first published online: 28 MAY 2008
© American Sociological Association
Volume 26, Issue 2, pages 173–199, June 2008
How to Cite
Abend, G. (2008), The Meaning of ‘Theory’. Sociological Theory, 26: 173–199. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9558.2008.00324.x
- Issue published online: 28 MAY 2008
- Article first published online: 28 MAY 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!