Prostate cancer stories in the Canadian print media: representations of illness, disease and masculinities
Article first published online: 2 OCT 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Foundation for the Sociology of Health & Illness/Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Sociology of Health & Illness
Volume 31, Issue 2, pages 155–169, March 2009
How to Cite
Halpin, M., Phillips, M. and Oliffe, J. L. (2009), Prostate cancer stories in the Canadian print media: representations of illness, disease and masculinities. Sociology of Health & Illness, 31: 155–169. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2008.01122.x
- Issue published online: 16 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 2 OCT 2008
- 7 days. (2006, 16 June) The Globe and Mail: R.3.
- 2003) Men, masculinity, and the contexts of help seeking, American Psychology, 58, 5–14. and (
- 1997) Prostate disease in older men: cancer, Hospital Practice, 32, 10, 159–66, 171, 175–76. (
- 2002) Where the boys are not: a brief overview of male preventative health, Wisconsin Medical Journal, 101, 4, 22–7. (
- 2002, 23 August) A guy's pad: TV in loo, Harley in living room: dream home for men raises funds for cancer research, National Post: A.5. (
- 1998) Qualitative Research Methods for the Social Sciences. New Jersey: Allyn and Bacon. (
- 2003) Assessing the unmet information, support and care delivery needs of men with PC, Patient Education and Counseling, 49, 3, 233–42. , , , , , et al . (
- 2004, Dec 11) Stock investors can buy into a disease portfolio, National Post: RB.4. (
- 1991). Social space and symbolic space: introduction to a Japanese reading of distinction. Poetics Today, 12, 4, 627–38. (
- 2005, 9 May) With loss of Johansson, MI3 seems to be self-destructing, National Post: AL.2. (
- Canadian Cancer Statistics Canadian Cancer Society/National Cancer Institute of Canada (2007) Toronto, Canada, 2007. Available from: http://www.cancer.ca/vgn/images/portal/cit_86751114/36/15/1816216925cw_2007stats_en.pdf [Accessed 14 December 2007].
- 2000) Cancer patients seeking information from sources outside the health care system, Supportive Care in Cancer, 8, 453–7. (
- 2001) Passive Medicalization: the case of Viagra and sexual dysfunction, Sociology Spectrum, 21, 3, 441–50. (
- 2002) PC: embodied experience and perceptions of masculinity, Sociology of Health and Illness, 24, 6, 820–41. and (
- Chiefs owner coined the term super bowl (2006, 14 December) The Globe and Mail: S.5.
- 1999) PC's hegemonic masculinity in select print mass media depictions (1974–1995), Health Communication, 11, 1, 59–74. (
- 2004) A comparison of breast, testicular and prostate cancer in mass print media (1996–2001), Social Science and Medicine, 59, 3, 541–51. (
- 2006) Cancer in the mass print media: fear, uncertainty and the medical model, Social Science and Medicine, 62, 10, 2591–600. and (
- 1999) Testicular cancer: medicine and machismo in the media (1980–94), Health, 3, 3, 263–82. and (
- 1995) Masculinities. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press. (
- 2000) The Men and the Boys. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press. (
- 2004) To screen or not to screen, when clinical guidelines disagree: primary care physicians’ use of the PSA test, Preventative Medicine, 38, 182–91. , , , and (
- 1998) College men's health: an overview and a call to action, Journal of American College Health, 46, 279–90. (
- 2000) Constructions of masculinity and their influence on men's well-being: a theory of gender and health, Social Science and Medicine, 50, 10, 1385–401. (
- 2003) Provision of individualized information to men and their partners to facilitate treatment decision making in PC, Oncology Nursing Forum, 30, 1, 107–14. , , and (
- DiagnoCure shares soar on prostate test partner news (2003, 24 September) National Post: FP.02.
- 2000) Chronic diseases in Canada, Monograph Series on Aging-related Diseases: X. Prostate Cancer. Available from: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cdic-mcc/19-1/b_e.html [Accessed 14 December 2007]. , , , , and (
- 2006, 2 November) A force of habit, National Post: S.7. (
- 2006, 27 July) Formula Ford racing is not for the timid, The Globe and Mail: G.13. (
- 2004) The information-seeking behaviours of partners of men with prostate cancer: a qualitative pilot study, Patient Education and Counseling, 54, 2, 179–85. and (
- 2002) Sexual dysfunction and the preservation of manhood: experiences of men with PC, Qualitative Health Research, 12, 492–514. , and (
- 1973) The birth of the Clinic: an Archaeology of Medical Perception. New York: Pantheon Books. (
- 2006, 1 September) Gearing up for classic cars, The Globe and Mail: R.7. (
- 1967) The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research. Chicago: Aldine Publishing Company. and (
- Good-karma giving (2004, 18 December) The Globe and Mail: L.7.
- 2002) What's a guy to do? Most men who get PC don't die from it – so why get tested? Good question, Time, 159, 11, 98. (
- 2006) Try to be healthy, but don't forgo your masculinity: deconstructing men's health discourse in the media, Social Science and Medicine, 63, 9, 2476–88. (
- 2007) ‘Real men don't diet’: an analysis of contemporary representations of men, food and health, Social Science and Medicine, 64, 2, 326–37. (
- 2000) Managing the impact of illness: the experiences of men with PC and their spouses, Journal of Health Psychology, 5, 4, 531–48. , , , and (
- 2002) Hegemonic masculinity and the experience of PC: a narrative approach, Journal of Aging and Identity, 7, 1, 43–62. , , , and (
- 2002). Historical Ontology. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. (
- 2004, 23 February) The teresa factor, National Post: A.11. (
- 1969) Content Analysis for the Social Sciences and Humanities. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley. (
- 2005) The coverage of PC and impotence in four popular men's magazines (1991–2000), International Journal of Men's Health, 4, 2, 171–85. (
- 2000) International trends and patterns of PC incidence and mortality, International Journal of Cancer, 85, 60–7. , and (
- Hunter probably ‘cutting the grass’ after surgery (2004, 21 July) The Globe and Mail: R.2.
- 2002) Carcinoma of the prostate. In Gillenwater, J., Grayhack, J., Howards, S. and Mitchell, M. (eds) Adult and Pediatric Urology, 4th Edition, Volume 2. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. , (
- 2004) The Rise of Viagra: how the Little Blue Pill Changed Sex in America. New York: New York University Press. (
- Lorus (LOR-TSX) (2003, 26 April) The Globe and Mail: B.10.
- 2005) PC radiotherapy 2002: the way forward, The Canadian Journal of Urology, 12, 1, 2521–31. , , , , , et al . (
- 2007) ‘A matter of faith, not science’: analysis of media coverage of PC screening in Australia news media 2003–2006, Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 100, 513–21. , , and (
- 2003, 18 October) Is the man fit to serve?, The Globe and Mail: F.4. (
- 2005, 25 June) Ailing Graham launches his last U.S. crusade, The Globe and Mail: A.14. (
- 2006) ‘You can't fight windmills’: how older men do health, ill health, and masculinities, Qualitative Health Research, 16, 6, 788–801. and (
- 2005) ‘It's caveman stuff, but that is to a certain extent how guys still operate’: men's accounts of masculinity and help seeking, Social Science and Medicine, 61, 3, 503–16. , and (
- 2005) Constructions of masculinity following prostatectomy-induced impotence, Social Science and Medicine, 60, 10, 2249–59. (
- 2006) Embodied masculinity and androgen deprivation therapy, Sociology of Health and Illness, 28, 4, 410–32. (
- 2008) How prostate cancer support groups do and do not survive: a British Columbian perspective, American Journal of Men's Health, 2, 2, 143–55. , , , , and (
- 2005, 1 October) Can you really shop for the cure? The Globe and Mail: L.9. (
- 2003) Surgical orchidectomy: time to revisit, BC Medical Journal, 45, 5, 216–17. and (
- Print Measurement Bureau (PMB) (2007) Readership Volume. Toronto: Print Measurement Bureau.
- Preston Manning prepares his leave (2001, 22 March) The Globe and Mail: A.16.
- Prostate cancer cured, says back-to-work rock (2001, 4 April) The Globe and Mail: A.6.
- Prostate Cancer Research Foundation of Canada (2004, 24 June) The Globe and Mail: B.4.
- Prostate Cancer Research Foundation of Canada (2006, 12 September) The Globe and Mail: B.9.
- 2004) PC in the ageing male, The Journal of Men's Health and Gender, 1, 1, 47–54. and (
- 2006, 11 October) Test puts nuclear salesman in harsh light, The Globe and Mail: A.1. (
- 2005, 10 August) Going with whole grain, National Post: A.13. (
- 2001) Sporting cancer: struggle language in news reports of people with cancer, Sociology of Health and Illness, 23, 3, 308–29. (
- 2002) Cancer heroics: a study of news reports with particular reference to gender, Sociology, 36, 1, 107–26. (
- 2003) Health and media: an overview, Sociology of Health and Illness, 25, 6, 513–31. (
- 2006) Gender, cancer experience and internet use: a comparative keyword analysis of interviews and online cancer support groups, Social Science and Medicine, 62, 10, 2577–90 , and (
- 2006). Transforming Masculinities: men, cultures, bodies, power, sex and love. New York: Routledge. (
- Social studies. (2003, 21 May) The Globe and Mail: A.20.
- 1978) Illness as Metaphor. New York: Farrar, Strauss and Giroux. (
- Statistics Canada (2006) A Portrait of Seniors in Canada. Available from: http://www.statcan.ca/english/freepub/89-519-XIE/89-519-XIE2006001.pdf [Accessed 14 December 2007].
- 2004) Health and the social construction of masculinity in Men's Health magazine, Men and Masculinities, 7, 1, 31–51. (
- T.O. do: A discriminating guide to Toronto today (2004, 22 November) National Post: AL.2.
- 2003, 19 September) Dubbed ‘le weekender’, new drug to rival Viagra, The Globe and Mail: A.2. (
- The men's disease (2001, 20 February) National Post: A.15.
- 2006, 26 July) Doctors find hot new idea: feel the burn to fight cancer, The Globe and Mail: A.11. (
- 2006) Restoration of satisfying sex for a castrated cancer patient with complete impotence: A case study, Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, 32, 5, 389–99. , and (
- 1995) Sports, masculinity, and the injured body. In Suso, D. and Gordon, F. (eds) Men's Health and Illness: Gender, Power and the Body. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. , and (
- 2004, 23 November) Lead dealers taking bigger pieces of pie, The Globe and Mail: B.18. (
- World press: World Newspapers and Magazines: Canada (2007) Available from: http://www.worldpress.org/newspapers/AMERICAS/Canada.cfm [Accessed 23 November 2007]