The changing nature of prescribing: pharmacists as prescribers and challenges to medical dominance
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Foundation for the Sociology of Health & Illness/Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Sociology of Health & Illness
Volume 31, Issue 3, pages 406–421, April 2009
How to Cite
Weiss, M. C. and Sutton, J. (2009), The changing nature of prescribing: pharmacists as prescribers and challenges to medical dominance. Sociology of Health & Illness, 31: 406–421. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2008.01142.x
- Issue published online: 1 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2008
- 1988) The System of Professions – an Essay on the Division of Expert Labor. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press. (
- 2006) Medical dominance in a changing world: the UK case, Health Sociology Review, 15, 444–57. (
- 2006) A prescription for better prescribing, British Medical Journal, 333, 459–60. , , and (
- 2005) Extended prescribing by UK nurses and pharmacists, British Medical Journal, 331, 1154–5. and (
- 1993) Obstacles to medical audit – British doctors speak, Social Science and Medicine, 36, 7, 849–56. and (
- British Medical Association (2005) BMA calls for urgent meeting with Patricia Hewitt on plans to extend prescribing powers [press release 10 November 2005]. http://www.bma.org.uk/pressrel.nsf/wlu/STRE-6HZJ4X?OpenDocument&vw=wfmms
- 2001) Prescribing and the defence of clinical autonomy, Sociology of Health and Illness, 23, 478–96. (
- 2006) Inter- and intra-professional perspectives on non-medical prescribing in an NHS Trust, The Pharmaceutical Journal, 277, 394–8. , and (
- 1983) Psychosocial issues in prescribing. In Morgan, J.P. and Kagan, D.V. (eds) Society and Medication: Conflicting Signals for Prescribers and Patients. Lexington, MA: Gower. (
- 1976) A bitter pill to swallow: placebo therapy in general practice, Sociological Review, 24, 74–96. (
- 2005) UK doctors protest at extension to nurses’ prescribing powers, British Medical Journal, 331, 1159. (
- Department of Health (1999) Review of Prescribing, Supply and Administration of Medicines, Final Report [The Crown Report] London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2001) Building a Safer NHS for Patients – Implementing an Organisation with a Memory. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2004) Design for Patient Safety. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2005) Supplementary Prescribing by Nurses, Pharmacists, Chiropodists/podiatrists, Physiotherapists and Radiographers with the NHS in England – a Guide for Implementation. Gateway reference 4941. Updated May 2005, London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2006a) Improving Patients’ Access to Medicines: a Guide to Implementing Nurse and Pharmacist Independent Prescribing within the NHS in England. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2006b) Safety First: a Report for Patients, Clinicians and Healthcare Managers. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2007a) Introduction to Pharmaceutical Price Regulation. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2007b) Coding for Success: Simple Technology for Safer Patient Care. London: Department of Health.
- 1979) Boundary encroachment: pharmacists in the clinical setting, Sociology of Health and Illness, 1, 69–89. and (
- 1991) The politics of professional power: medicine in a changing health service. In Gabe, J., Calnan, M. and Bury, M. (eds) The Sociology of the Health Service. London: Routledge. (
- 1977) Discipline and Punish: the Birth of Prison. New York: Vintage. (
- 1970) The Profession of Medicine. New York: Dodd Mead and Company. (
- 1994) Professionalism Reborn. 1994, Cambridge: Polity Press. (
- 1994) Challenging Medicine. London: Routledge. , and (
- 1980) Prescribing as social exchange. In Mapes, R.E. (ed.) Prescribing Practice and Drug Usage. London: Croom Helme, 39–57. (
- 1980) Personal View, British Medical Journal, 281, 57. . (
- 1975) The deprofessionalisation of everyone? Sociological Focus, 8: 197–213. . (
- 1994) From tribalism to corporatism: the managerial challenge to medical dominance. In Gabe, J., Kelleher, D. and Williams, G. (eds) Challenging Medicine. London: Routledge. (
- 2005) An Evaluation of Extended Formulary Independent Nurse Prescribing. South: University of Southampton. http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4114086.pdf[Accessed 10 January 2008] , , , , and (
- The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles, 3rd Editon. Revised and edited by C.T. Onions. USA: Guild Publishing. , and
- 2007) Pharmacists’ and mentors’ views on the introduction of pharmacy supplementary prescribing: a qualitative evaluation of views and context, International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 15, 31–7. and (
- 2008) Reforming regulation of the medical profession: the risks of risk-based approaches, Health, Risk and Society, 10, 1, 69–83. and (
- 2004) Doctors’ experience with handheld computers in clinical practice: qualitative study, British Medical Journal, 328, 1162. , and (
- 1985) Towards the proletarianization of doctoring, International Journal of Health Services, 15, 161–95. and (
- 1991) Boundary encroachment and task delegation: clinical pharmacists on the medical team, Sociology of Health and Illness, 13, 310–31. (
- 2005) Dynamic professional boundaries in the healthcare workforce, Sociology of Health and Illness, 27, 897–919. and (
- 2008) The dissection of risk: a conceptual analysis, Nursing Inquiry, 15, 1, 30–9. (
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (2002) Outline Curriculum for Training Programmes to Prepare Pharmacist Supplementary Prescribers. London: RPSGB.
- 1989) Physician motivations for non-scientific drug prescribing, Social Science and Medicine, 28, 577–82. , and (
- 1983) The Social Transformation of American Medicine. New York: Basic Books. (
- 1975) Going to See the Doctor. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul. and (
- 1998) Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory, 2nd Edition, Thousand Oaks, California: Sage. and (
- 2007) Pharmacist prescribing in the UK – a literature review of current practice and research, Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, 32, 545–56. , , and (
- 1994) Clinical pharmacy: uncovering the hidden dimension, Journal of Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 11, 67–77. (
- 2006) Introduction: taking stock of medical dominance, Health Sociology Review, 15, 421–31. (
- 1999) Clinical guidelines: potential benefits, limitations and harms of clinical guidelines, British Medical Journal, 1999, 318, 527–30. , , , and (