Genetic risks and healthy choices: creating citizen-consumers of genetic services through empowerment and facilitation
Version of Record online: 4 NOV 2009
© 2009 The Author. Journal compilation © 2009 Foundation for the Sociology of Health & Illness/Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Sociology of Health & Illness
Volume 32, Issue 3, pages 365–381, March 2010
How to Cite
Harvey, A. (2010), Genetic risks and healthy choices: creating citizen-consumers of genetic services through empowerment and facilitation. Sociology of Health & Illness, 32: 365–381. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2009.01202.x
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 4 NOV 2009
- 2004) Health consumer groups in the UK: a new social movement? Sociology of Health and Illness, 26, 6, 737–56. , and (
- 1988) The New Public Health. Buckingham: Open University Press. and (
- 1997) Nondirectiveness in genetic counseling: a survey of practitioners, American Journal of Medical Genetics, 72, 2, 172–9. , , and (
- 2003) What does ‘a gene for heart disease’ mean? A focus group study of public understandings of genetic risk factors, American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A, 119A, 2, 156–61. , , , and (
- 2002) Uncertain risk: genetic screening for susceptibility to haemochromatosis, Health, Risk and Society, 4, 3, 227–40. (
- 2006) The myth of agency and patient choice in health care? The case of drug treatments to prevent coronary disease, Social Science and Medicine, 63, 10, 2698–701. , , , and (
- 1996) Liberal government and techniques of the self. In Barry, A., Osborne, T. and Rose, N. (eds) Foucault and Political Reason: Liberalism, Neo-liberalism and Rationalities of Government. London: UCL Press. (
- 2001) From consumerism to partnership? Britain’s National Health Service at the turn of the century, International Journal of Health Services, 31, 1, 119–31. and (
- 1991) The Normal and the Pathological. New York: Zone Books. (
- 2007) Creating Citizen-Consumers: Changing Publics and Changing Public Services. London: Sage. , , , and (
- 1994) Wellness as virtue: morality and the pursuit of health, Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry, 18, 3, 385–401. (
- 1980) Healthism and the medicalization of everyday life, International Journal of Health Services, 10, 3, 365–88. (
- 1999) The Will to Empower: Democratic Citizens and Other Subjects. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. (
- 1999) Risk, calculable and incalculable. In Lupton, D. (ed.) Risk and Sociocultural Theory: New Directions and Perspectives. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (
- 2002) Liberal government and authoritarianism, Economy and Society, 31, 1, 37–61. (
- deCODE Diagnostics (undated) Welcome to deCODE Diagnostics. http://www.decodediagnostics.com/ (accessed: 07/08/2008).
- 1995) Postscript on control societies. Negotiations, 1972-1990. New York: Columbia University Press. (
- Department of Health (2003a) Building on the Best: Choice, Responsiveness and Equity in the NHS. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2003b) Our Inheritance, Our Future: Realising the Potential of Genetics in the NHS. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2004) Choosing Health: Making Healthier Choices Easier. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2007) Patient Choice. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/PatientChoice/index.htm (accessed: 20/05/2007).
- 1991) Pleasure in work. In Burchell, G., Gordon, C. and Miller, P. (eds) The Foucault Effect: Studies in Governmentality. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. (
- 1984) Purity and Danger: an Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo. 2nd edition. London: Routledge. (
- 1996) Health Promotion: Models and Values. 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , and (
- 2007) Choosing embryos: ethical complexity and relational autonomy in staff accounts of PGD, Sociology of Health and Illness, 29, 1091–106. , , , and (
- 2003) The test that tells us our baby’s future. Evening Standard, 16th December, p.23. (
- 2008) Wellbeing and empowerment: the importance of recognition, Sociology of Health and Illness, 30, 4, 583–98. (
- 2008) What benefits will choice bring to patients? Literature review and assessment of implications, Journal of Health Service Research and Policy, 13, 3, 178–84. , , , , and (
- 1991) Discipline and Punish: the Birth of the Prison. Harmondsworth: Penguin. (
- 1998) The History of Sexuality, Volume 1: the Will to Knowledge, Harmondsworth: Penguin. (
- 2000) The politics of health in the Eighteenth century. In Faubion, J. (ed.) Power: the Essential Works of Foucault 1954-1984, Volume 3. London: Penguin. (
- 2005) The ‘expert patient’: empowerment or medical dominance? The case of weight loss, pharmaceutical drugs and the Internet, Social Science and Medicine, 60, 6, 1299–309. , and (
- Genetic Health (2005) Genetic Testing Services. http://www.genetic-health.co.uk/dna-test-services.htm (accessed: 067/08/2008).
- 1991) Governmental rationality: an introduction. In Burchell, G., Gordon, C. and Miller, P. (eds) The Foucault Effect: Studies in Governmentality. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. (
- 2009) Towards a history of choice in UK health policy, Sociology of Health and Illness, 31, 3, 309–24. (
- 2003) Welcome to the genomic era, New England Journal of Medicine, 349, 10, 996–8. and (
- 1999) Making up people. In Biagioli, M. (ed.) The Science Studies Reader. London: Routledge. (
- 1999) Advising on the management of genetic risk: offering choice or prescribing action?, Health, Risk and Society, 1, 3, 267–80. (
- 2009) From genetic risk to post-genomic uncertainties: nutrigenomics and the birth of the ‘genetic entrepreneur’, New Genetics and Society, 28, 2, 119–37. (
- 2003) ‘Ignorance is bliss sometimes’: constraints on the emergence of the ‘informed patient’ in the changing landscapes of health information, Sociology of Health and Illness, 25, 6, 589–607. , , and (
- 2001) The liberal government of unfreedom, Alternatives, 26, 2, 93–111. (
- Human Genetics Commission (2003) Genes Direct: Ensuring the Effective Oversight of Genetic Tests Supplied Directly to the Public. London: Human Genetics Commission.
- 2002) Fabricating ‘health consumers’ in healthcare politics. In Henderson, S. and Petersen, A. (eds) Consuming Health: the Commodification of Health Care. London: Routledge. (
- 2008) A critical appraisal of the scientific basis of commercial genomic profiles used to assess health risks and personalize health interventions, American Journal of Human Genetics, 82, 3, 593–99. , , , , and (
- 2008) Nutrigenomics research for personalized nutrition and medicine, Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 19, 2, 110–20. (
- 2004) Nutritional Genomics: the next frontier in the postgenomic era, Physiological genomics, 16, 2, 166–77. and (
- 2003) Genetics and genomics in practice: the continuum from genetic disease to genetic information in health and disease, Genetics in Medicine, 5, 4, 261–8. (
- 1977) The responsibility of the individual, Daedalus, 106, 1, 57–80. (
- 2005) Providing solutions, defining problems: the imperative of disease prevention in genetic counselling, Social Science and Medicine, 60, 4, 823–32. and (
- 1997) Consumerism, reflexivity and the medical encounter, Social Science and Medicine, 45, 3, 373–81. (
- 1991) Caveat emptor or blissful ignorance: patients and the consumerist ethos, Social Science and Medicine, 33, 5, 559–68. , and (
- 2003) The day my DNA told me I had just 20 years to live. Mail on Sunday, 1st June, p.56. (
- 1996) Qualitative Researching. London: Sage. (
- 2008) Putting science over supposition in the arena of personalized genomics, Nature Genetics, 40, 8, 939–42. , , , , and (
- 2007) Governing the ethical consumer: identity, choice and the primary care medical encounter, Sociology of Health and Illness, 29, 3, 430–56. , , , , and (
- 1997) Nondirectiveness in genetic counseling: an empirical study, American Journal of Human Genetics, 60, 1, 40–47. , , and (
- 2003) Spilling the genes. The Daily Telegraph Magazine, 25th October, pp.42–46. (
- 1997) Compliance becomes concordance, British Medical Journal, 314, 7082, 691–2. (
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2008) Identification and Management of Familial Hypercholesterolaemia. London: NICE.
- 2000) Genetic risk and the birth of the somatic individual, Economy and Society, 29, 4, 485–513. and (
- 1996) Risk and responsibility. In Barry, A., Osborne, T. and Rose, N. (eds) Foucault and Political Reason. London: UCL press. (
- One Person Genetics (2006) Unlocking Your Genetic Code. http://www.onepersonhealth.com/geneticAnalysis/nutritionalGenetics.jsp?src=OPGindex.html (accessed: 02/02/2006).
- 1998) Aspects of Enlightenment: Social Theory and the Ethics of Truth, London: UCL Press. (
- 2001) Genomics and medicine - dissecting human disease in the postgenomic era, Science, 291, 5507, 1224–9. and (
- 1996) The New Public Health: Health and Self in the Age of Risk. London: Sage. and (
- 2008) Personal genomes: misdirected precaution, Nature, 456, 7218, 34–5. , , , , and (
- 1996) Governing ‘advanced’ liberal democracies. In Barry, A., Osborne, T. and Rose, N. (eds) Foucault and Political Reason. London: UCL press. (
- 1999a) Governing the Soul: the Shaping of the Private Self. London: Free Association Books (2nd edition). (
- 1999b) Powers of Freedom: Reframing Political Thought. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (
- 2006) The Politics of Life Itself. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. (
- 2003) Patients and doctors: reformulating the UK health policy community? Social Science and Medicine, 57, 5, 927–36. (
- Salugen (2006) About Salugen. http://www.salugen.com/about.html (accessed: 27/04/2007).
- Negotiating the boundary between medicine and lifestyle: online marketing of nutrigenetic tests. , , and (forthcoming)
- Sciona/MyCellf (2006) FAQs. http://www.mycellf.com/faqs.html (accessed: 11/02/2007).
- Sciona/MyCellf (2007) The Science of You. http://www.mycellf.com/index2.html (accessed: 12/02/2007).
- 1999) Will genetic testing for predisposition for disease result in fatalism? A qualitative study of parents’ responses to neonatal screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia, Social Science and Medicine, 48, 12, 1857–60. , and (
- 1994) What is the role of the consumer in health-care? Journal of Social Policy, 23, 517–41. and (
- 1976) The health service consumer: a sociological misconception, Sociological Review Monograph, M22, 194–200. (
- 1986) Health education and the ideology of health promotion: a review of alternative approaches, Health Education Research, 1, 1, 3–12. (
- 1996) ‘Despotism’ and ethical liberal governance, Economy and Society, 25, 3, 357–72. (
- 2008) Recreational genomics? Dreams and fears on genetic susceptibility screening, European Journal of Human Genetics, 16, 4, 403–04. and (
- 2001) Guideline: Investigation and management of heritable thrombophilia, British Journal of Haematology, 114, 512–28. , and (
- 2002) Securing Our Future Health:Taking a Long-term View. London: HM Treasury. (
- 2002) The Protestant Ethic and the ‘Spirit’ of Capitalism. Harmondsworth: Penguin. (
- Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium (2007) Genome-wide association study of 14,000 cases of seven common diseases and 3,000 shared controls, Nature, 447, 7145, 661–78.
- 1993) All change in the NHS? Implications of the NHS reforms for primary care prevention, Sociology of Health and Illness, 15, 1, 43–67. , , and (
- 1998) The sociology of health and illness at the turn of the century: back to the future? Sociological Research Online, 3, 4, http://www.socresonline.org.uk/socresonline/3/4/1.html . , and (
- 2002) Is nondirectiveness possible within the context of antenatal screening and testing? Social Science and Medicine, 54, 3, 339–47. , and (