The challenge of contributing to policy making in primary care: the gendered experiences and strategies of nurses
Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Author. Sociology of Health & Illness © 2010 Foundation for the Sociology of Health & Illness/Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Sociology of Health & Illness
Volume 32, Issue 7, pages 977–992, November 2010
How to Cite
Hughes, A. (2010), The challenge of contributing to policy making in primary care: the gendered experiences and strategies of nurses. Sociology of Health & Illness, 32: 977–992. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2010.01258.x
- Issue online: 2 NOV 2010
- Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2010
- 1991) Hierarchies, jobs, bodies: a theory of gendered organizations. In Lorber, J. and Farrell, S.A. (eds) The Social Construction of Gender. London: Sage. (
- 1992) Gendering organisational theory. In Mills, A. and Tancred, P. (eds) Gendering Organisational Analysis. London: Sage. (
- 1997) The nursing-medical boundary: a negotiated order? Sociology of Health and Illness, 19, 4, 498–520. (
- 2001) The Changing Shape of Nursing Practice. London: Routledge. (
- 1998) Board and lodgings, Nursing Times, 94, 50, 50–2, 16 December. (
- 1988) The Bonds of Love: Psychoanalysis, Feminism, and the Problem of Domination. New York: Pantheon Books. (
- 1992) Participant observation. In Crabtree, B. and Millar, W. (eds) Doing Qualitative Research. Newbury Park, CA: Sage. (
- 2000) Ethnography. Buckingham: Open University Press. (
- Burdett Trust for Nursing (2006) Who Cares, Wins: Leadership and the Business of Caring. London: Burdett Trust for Nursing.
- 1996) Making Sense of Qualitative Data: Complementary Research Strategies. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. and (
- 2008) High Quality Care for All: NHS Next Stage Review Final Report. London: Department of Health. (
- 1995) Gender and the Professional Predicament in Nursing. Buckingham: Open University Press. (
- 2003) The body and doing gender: the relations between doctors and nurses in hospital work, Sociology of Health and Illness, 25, 7, 720–42. (
- Department of Health (1994) Building a Stronger Team: the Nursing Contribution to Purchasing. Leeds: NHS Executive.
- Department of Health (1997) The New NHS: Modern, Dependable. London: The Stationery Office.
- Department of Health (2008) NHS Next Stage Review: our Vision for Primary and Community Care. London: Department of Health.
- 2002) Nurses and English primary care groups: their experiences and perceived influence on policy development, Journal of Advanced Nursing, 37, 1, 35–42. , and (
- 2005) Clinicians as Leaders in Local Governance Bodies: the Case of Primary Care Groups. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of London, Kings College. (
- 2001) Primary Care in the UK: understanding the dynamics of devolution, Health and Social Care in the Community, 9, 5, 266–78. (
- 2001) The crafting of community: recoupling discourses of management and womanhood, Gender, Work and Organisation, 8, 3, 267–90. and (
- 1978) Sexual division of labour: the case of nursing. In Kuhn, A. and Wolpe, A.M. (eds) Feminism and Materialism. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul. (
- 1994) The gender we think, the gender we do in our everyday organisational lives, Human Relations (special issue), 47, 6, 591–610. (
- 1995) Gender, Symbolism and Organisational Cultures. London: Sage. (
- 1983) Caring: a labour of love. In Finch, J. and Groves, D. (eds) A Labour of Love: Women, Work and Caring. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul. (
- 1989) Private experiences in the public domain: lesbians in organizations. In Sheppard, D., Hearn, J., Tancred-Sheriff, P. and Burrell, G. (eds) The Sexuality of Organization. London: Sage. (
- 1995) Ethnography: Principles in Practice. London: Routledge. and (
- 1988) When nurse knows best: some aspects of nurse/doctor interaction in a casualty department, Sociology of Health and Illness, 10, 1, 1–22. (
- 2005) The Experiences of Nurses on LHG Boards in Wales: a Gendered Analysis. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Wales Swansea. (
- 1999) A serious researcher or just another nice girl?: doing gender in a male-dominated scientific community, Gender, Work and Organization, 6, 3, 163–73. and (
- 2002) Investigating the nursing contribution to commissioning in primary health-care, Journal of Nursing Management, 10, 2, 83–94. (
- 1982) The narcissistic fit between medicine and nursing. In Muff, J.E. (ed.) Socialization, Sexism and Stereotyping. Illinois: Waveland Press Inc. (
- King’s Fund College (1993) The Professional Nursing Contribution to Purchasing. London: King’s Fund.
- 1984) Analyzing Social Settings: a Guide to Qualitative Observation and Analysis. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. and (
- 2008) Nurses in Society: Starting the Debate. London: King’s College. (
- 1984) Women Managers: Travellers in a Male World. Chichester: Wiley. (
- 1994) Researching Women’s Lives from a Feminist Perspective. London: Taylor and Francis. and (
- 1998) Primary Care Groups – friend or foe? Practice Nurse, 15, 10, 578–81. (
- 1995) Rigour and qualitative research, British Medical Journal, 311, 109–12. and (
- 1992) Gendering Organisational Analysis. London: Sage. and (
- 1995) Nursing’s Relationship with Medicine: a Critical Realist Ethnography. Aldershot: Avebury. (
- 1989) Secretaries Talk: Sexuality, Power and Work. London: Verso. (
- 1992) What is a secretary? In McDowell, L. and Pringle, R. (eds) Defining Women: Social Institutions and Gender Divisions. Cambridge: Polity in association with The Open University. (
- Queen’s Nursing Institute (2006) Vision and Values – a Call for Action on Community Nursing. London: Queens Nursing Institute.
- Royal College of Nursing (1999) The New Local Health Groups: the Knowledge and Skills Nurses Need to Make them a Real Success. London: RCN.
- Royal College of Nursing/National Voices (2009) Local Healthcare Commissioning: Grassroots Involvement? London: RCN/National Voices.
- 2001) Passing on the Baton: Final Report of a National Evaluation of Primary Care Groups and Trusts. Birmingham: Birmingham, Health Services Management Centre, University of Birmingham. , , , and (
- 1987) Ordered to Care: the Dilemma of American Nursing 1850-1945. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (
- 1992) Introduction: Beginning the study of nursing policy. In Gray, A., Elkan, R. and Robinson, J. (eds) Policy Issues in Nursing. Buckingham: Open University Press. (
- Sheppard, D. (1989) Organizations, power and sexuality: the image and self-image of women managers. In Sheppard, D., Hearn, J., Tancred-Sheriff, P. and Burrell, G. (eds) The Sexuality of Organization. London: Sage.
- 2000) Getting into their Stride: Interim Report of a National Evaluation of Primary Care Group. Birmingham: Birmingham, Health Services Management Centre, University of Birmingham. , , , and (
- 2000) Primary care groups: how are they shaping up? British Journal of Midwifery, 8, 2, 107–09. (
- 1999) Second among equals, Nursing Times, 95, 13, 54–5, 31 March. , and (
- 2006) Getting a visit: how district nurses and general practitioners ‘organise’ each other in primary care, Sociology of Health and Illness, 28, 7, 883–902. and (
- 1993) Breaking Out again: feminist ontology and epistemology. London: Routledge. and (
- 1998) Grounded theory methodology: an overview. In Lincoln, Y. and Denzin, N. (eds) Strategies of Qualitative Inquiry. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. and (
- 1996) The interplay between doctors and nurses – a negotiated order perspective, Sociology of Health and Illness, 18, 3, 379–98. (
- Welsh Assembly Government (2008) Consultation Paper II: Delivering the new NHS for Wales. Cardiff: WAG.
- Welsh Office (1998a) NHS Wales: Putting Patients First. Cardiff, Welsh Office.
- Welsh Office (1998b) Putting Patients First: Establishing Local Health Groups. Cardiff, Welsh Office.
- 1991) Doing gender. In Lorber, J. and Farrell, S.A. (eds) The Social Construction of Gender. London: Sage. and (
- 1998) Nurses and Doctors at Work: Rethinking Professional Boundaries. Buckingham: Open University Press. (
- 1993) Diversity and agreement in feminist ethnography, Sociology, 27, 4, 575–89. (