Security and subjective wellbeing: the experiences of unaccompanied young people seeking asylum in the UK
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
© 2012 The Author. Sociology of Health & Illness © 2012 Foundation for the Sociology of Health & Illness/John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Sociology of Health & Illness
Volume 35, Issue 6, pages 858–872, July 2013
How to Cite
Chase, E. (2013), Security and subjective wellbeing: the experiences of unaccompanied young people seeking asylum in the UK. Sociology of Health & Illness, 35: 858–872. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2012.01541.x
- Issue online: 17 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
- 1998) Promoting young people’s health: the health concerns and needs of young people, Health Education, 98, 6, 213–19. , , and et al . (
- 2009) Child well-being through different lenses: why concept matters, Child and Family Social Work, 14, 3, 372–83. (
- 1993) Locating fear: Environmental and ontological security. In H. Jones (ed.) Crime and the Urban Environment. Aldershot: Ashgate. (
- 2006) Grounded theory and sensitising concepts, Journal of Qualitative Methods, 5, 3. Available at http://www.ualberta.ca/~iiqm/backissues/5_3/PDF/bowen.pdf (accessed 28 September 2012). (
- Bradshaw, J. (ed.) (2011) The Well-being of Children in the UK. Bristol: Policy Press.
- 2010) Agency and silence: young people seeking asylum alone in the UK, British Journal of Social Work, 40, 7, 2050–68. (
- 2008) The Emotional Wellbeing of Unaccompanied Young People Seeking Asylum in the UK. London: British Association for Adoption and Fostering. , and (
- 2008) Challenges of generating qualitative data with socially excluded young people, International Journal of Social Science Methodology, 11, 3, 201–14. (
- 2008) Basics of Qualitative Research, 3rd edn. Newbury Park: Sage. and (
- Department for Education and Skills (2004) Every Child Matters: Change for Children. London: DFES.
- Department of Health (1983) The Mental Health Act. London: Department of Health.
- 1998) Home, home ownership and the search for ontological security, Sociological Review, 46, 1, 24–47. and (
- 2006) A Review of PTSD in children, Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 11, 4, 176–84. and (
- 2008) What Do We Mean by ‘Wellbeing’? and Why Might It Matter? Department for Business Innovation and Skills Research Report DCSF–RW073. London: DCSF. and (
- European Migration Network (2012) EMN Inform: Migration and International Protection Statistics, 2009. Available at http://emn.intrasoft-intl.com/html/index.html (accessed 1 October 2012).
- 2007) Children’s conceptualisations of their well-being, Social Indicators Research, 80, 1, 5–29. , and (
- 2007) Wellbeing, health and geography: a critical review and research agenda, New Zealand Geographer, 63, 2, 106–118. and (
- 1984) The Constitution of Society. Cambridge: PolityPress. (
- 1991) Modernity and Self-identity: Self and Society in the Late Modern Age. Cambridge: PolityPress. (
- 1967) The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research. Chicago: Aldine. and (
- Great Britain (1998) Data Protection Act 1998. London: HMSO.
- 1962) Being and Time. Trans. John Macquarrie and Edward Robinson. New York: Harper and Row. (
- 2005) The role of education in the settlement of young refugees in the UK: the experiences of young refugees, Practice, 17, 3, 157–71. (
- 2002) Implications for psychiatric services of chronic civilian strife: young refugees in the UK, Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 8, 366–74. (
- 2008) Risk and resilience for psychological distress amongst unaccompanied asylum-seeking adolescents, Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 48, 7, 723–32. , , and (
- Home Office (2007) The New Asylum Model. London: Home Office.
- Home Office (2010) Quarterly Statistical Supplementary Tables October–December 2009. London: Home Office. Available at http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs10/immiq409supp.xls (accessed 30 August 2011).
- Home Office (2011) Asylum Data Tables Immigration Statistics April–June 2011 Vol. 2. London: Home Office.
- 2008) Ethical issues in research with unaccompanied asylum-seeking children, Children’s Geographies, 6, 1, 37–48. (
- 2008) Pre-flight experiences and migration stories: the accounts of unaccompanied asylum-seeking children, Children’s Geographies, 6, 3, 257–68. and (
- 2005) UK government policy and unaccompanied adolescents seeking asylum, Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 10, 4, 202–5. and (
- 1965) The Divided Self. Harmondsworth: Penguin. (
- 2009) A Good Childhood: Searching for Values in a Competitive Age. London: Children’s Society. and (
- 2003) A phantom menace and the new apartheid: the social construction of asylum-seekers in the United Kingdom, Discourse and Society, 14, 4, 425–52. and (
- 2011) Child Well-being: Understanding Children’s Lives London: Jessica Kingsley. and (
- 2007) The treatment of asylum seekers in the UK, Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 29, 1, 49–65. and (
- 2011) Self, Belonging and social change, Sociology, 45, 3, 363–78. (
- 1934) The Mind Self and Society From the Standpoint of a Social Behaviorist. Chicago: Chicago University Press. (
- 2002) Assessing and evaluating qualitative research. In. S.B. Merriam (ed.) Qualitative Research in Practice: Examples for Discussion and Analysis. San Francisco: Jossey–Bass. (
- 2009) Civic stratification and the cosmopolitan ideal, European Societies, 11, 4, 603–24. (
- 2009) What is wrong with children’s well-being in the UK? Questions of meaning and measurement, Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 31, 3, 217–29. and (
- 2011) Young People and Wellbeing: Contemporary Science Debates in Wales. Cardiff: BRASS, Techniquest, ONS. , and (
- 2005) Children’s Understandings of Wellbeing. Dublin: National Children’s Office. and (
- 2000) Women and Human Development: the Capabilities Approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (
- Office for National Statistics (ONS) (2012) Analysis of experimental subjective wellbeing data from the Annual Population Survey, April to September 2011. Newport: ONS.
- 2003) Child well-being: a systematic review of the literature, Social Indicators Research, 61, 1, 59–78. and (
- 2009) Understanding Children’s Well-being: a National Survey of Young People’s Well-being. London: Children’s Society. , , and (
- Refugee Council (2005) Ringing the Changes: The Impact of Guidance on the Use of Sections 17 and 20 of the Children Act 1989 to Support Unaccompanied Asylum-seeking Children. London: Refugee Council.
- 2009) Doing better for children and upcoming OECD projects. DCSF seminar 16th November 2009. Available at http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/62/59/44620944.pdf (accessed 28 September 2012). (
- 2006) Refugee Children in the UK. Maidenhead: Open University Press. (
- 1992) Capability and wellbeing. In A. Sen, M. Nussabaum (eds) The Quality of Life. Oxford: Clarendon Press. (
- 2002) Quality issues in qualitative inquiry, Qualitative Social Work, 1, 1, 97–110. (
- 2004) Housing and public health, Annual Review of Public Health, 25, 397–418. (
- 1997) Rekindling the experience of freedom, Journal of Systemic Consultation and Management, 8, 3–3, 225–38. (
- 2000) On violence: a creed for therapists, Journal of Family Psychotherapy, 11, 2, 1–8. (
- 2006) Post conflict identities: affiliations and practices of Somali asylum seeker children, Children’s Geographies, 4, 2, 203–17. , and (
- 2010) Childhood wellbeing: a brief overview. London Childhood Wellbeing Research Centre. DfE. Available at https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/Wellbeing-Brief (accessed 28 September 2012). and (
- 2004) Part 1. The mental health impacts of migration: the law and its effects. Failing to understand: refugee determination and the traumatized applicant, International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, 27, 6, 511–28. , and (
- 2011) How to grow up happy: an exploratory study on the meaning of happiness from children’s voices, Child Indicators Research, 4, 2, 323–51. (
- 2009) Current measures and the challenges of measuring children’s wellbeing. Working paper. Newport: ONS. (
- 2004) ‘I was running away from death’– the pre-flight experiences of unaccompanied asylum-seeking children in the UK, Child Care Health and Development, 30, 2, 113–22. , and (
- UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) (1951) Convention and Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees. Geneva: UNHCR.
- UNHCR (2009) Unaccompanied minors in the European Union member states. Panel Discussion of the Vienna Migration Group and European Migration Network. Vienna, 8 June.
- UNHCR (2012) A Year of Crises: UNHCR Global Trends 2011. Geneva, UNHCR. Available at http://www.unhcr.org/4fd6f87f9.html (accessed 20 July 2012).
- United Nations Children’s Fund (2007) Child Poverty in Perspective: an Overview of Child Well-Being in Rich Countries. Innocenti Report Card Vol 7, Florence: Unicef Innocenti Research Centre.
- 2005) Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children. The Response of Social Work Services. London: BAAF. , and (
- 2009) Analyzing Wellbeing: A Framework for Development Practice. Wellbeing in Developing Countries Working article 09/44. Bath: University of Bath. (
- World Health Organization (1978) Declaration of Alma Alta. Geneva: WHO.