Knowledge and discipline – knowledge as discipline: aspects of the oral history of Irish sexuality
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2008
Royal Anthropological Institute 2008
Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute
Volume 14, Issue 1, pages 135–151, March 2008
How to Cite
Salazar, C. (2008), Knowledge and discipline – knowledge as discipline: aspects of the oral history of Irish sexuality. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, 14: 135–151. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9655.2007.00482.x
- Issue published online: 5 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2008
- 2001 1940; 1968. Family and community in Ireland. (Third edition). Ennis: Clasp Press. &
- 2002. Le Bal des célibataires. Crise de la société paysanne en Béarn. Paris: Éditions du Seuil.
- 1973. Inishkillane: change and decline in the West of Ireland. London: Faber & Faber.
- 1997. From duty to desire: remaking families in a Spanish village. Princeton: University Press.
- 1962. Peasant marriage in Ireland: the structure and development since the Famine. The Economic History Review 14, 502-23.
- 1997. ‘Hello divorce, goodbye daddy’: Women, gender, and the divorce debate. In Gender and sexuality in modern Ireland (eds) A.Bradley & M.G.Valiulis, 275-98. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press.
- 1987. Marginal men? Bachelor farmers in a west of Ireland community. In Gender in Irish society (eds) C.Curtin, P.Jackson & B.O'Connor, 287-308. Galway: University Press. &
- 1974. Portrait of a Greek mountain village. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 2001. Family formation in Ireland. Trends, data needs and implications. Dublin: Economic and Social Research Institute. &
- 1983. On the genealogy of ethics: an overview of work in progress. In Michel Foucault: beyond structuralism and hermeneutics, H.L.Dreyfus & , 229-52. Chicago: University Press.
- 1985. The use of pleasure: history of sexuality, vol. II. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
- 1994. Sex the invisible. American Anthropologist 96, 833-44.
- 1983. Local knowledge: further essays in interpretative anthropology. New York: Basic Books.
- 1990. Men and women in southern Spain: ‘domestic power’ revisited. American Anthropologist 92, 953-70.
- 1999. The politics of sexual morality in Ireland. London: Macmillan.
- 1998a. Lessons in Irish sexuality. Dublin: University College Press.
- 1998b. From sexual repression to sexual liberation. In Encounters with modern Ireland: a sociological chronicle 1995-1996 (eds) M.Peillon & E.Slater, 99-104. Dublin: Institute of Public Administration.
- 2002. Sexual transgression and scapegoats: a case study from modern Ireland. Sexualities 5, 5-24.
- 2001. Cottage to crèche: family change in Ireland. Dublin: Institute of Public Administration.
- 1975. The one blood: kinship and class in an Irish village. Newfoundland Social and Economic Studies 15. (Special Issue).
- 1991. Gender, sexuality, and the person in Greek culture. In Contested identities: gender and kinship in modern Greece (eds) P.Loizos & E.Papataxiarchis, 221-34. Princeton: University Press. &
- 1996. Angela's ashes: a memoir of a childhood. London: Flamingo.
- 1998. Women and crisis pregnancy: a report presented to the Department of Health and Children. Dublin: Stationery Office. , &
- 1969. Inis Beag, Isle of Ireland. New York: Holt, Rinehart, & Winston.
- 1971. Sex and repression in an Irish folk community. In Human sexual behavior (eds) D.S.Marshall & R.C.Suggs, 3-37. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- 1987. Social inequality in a Portuguese hamlet: land, late marriage, and bastardy, 1870-1978. Cambridge: University Press.
- 1986. Sons of Adam, daughters of Eve: the peasant worldview of the Alto Minho. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 2003. O homen na familia: cinco ensaios de antropologia. Lisbon: Imprensa de Ciências Sociais.
- 1996. A sentimental economy: commodity and community in rural Ireland. Oxford: Berghahn.
- 1998. Gender relationships and the domestic sphere in rural Ireland: reflections on a personal experience. Europaea IV, 27-43.
- 1999. On blood and its alternatives: an Irish history. Social Anthropology 7, 155-67.
- 2003. Demographic growth and the ‘cultural factor’ in Ireland: rethinking the relationship between structure and event. History and Anthropology 14, 271-81.
- 2006. Anthropology and sexual morality: a theoretical investigation. Oxford: Berghahn.
- 1983. From anxiety to analysis: rethinking Irish sexuality and sex roles. Women's Studies 10, 147-60.
- 2001 1977. Saints, scholars and schizophrenics: mental illness in rural Ireland. (Y2000 edition). Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1971. Of vigilance and virgins: honor, shame and access to resources in Mediterranean societies. Ethnology 10, 1-24.
- 1984. Demographic transitions in a Sicilian rural town. Journal of Family History 9, 245-72. &
- 1991. Sex and respectability in an age of fertility decline: a Sicilian case study. Social Science Medicine 33, 885-95. &
- 1989. ‘A labouring man's daughter’: construction ‘respectability’ in south Kilkenny. In Ireland from below: social change and local communities (eds) C.Curtin & T.M.Wilson, 109-27. Galway: University Press.
- 2004. The politics of sexual knowledge: the origins of Ireland's containment culture and the Carrigan report (1931). Journal of the History of Sexuality 33, 208-33.
- 1998. Cultural constraints on the delivery of HIV/AIDS prevention in Ireland. Social Science Medicine 46, 661-72.
- 1979. A new explanation of sexual repression in Ireland. Central Issues in Anthropology 1, 36-67.
- 1979. On our backs: sexual attitudes in a changing Ireland. London: Pan.
- 1995. Occasions of faith: an anthropology of Irish Catholics. Dublin: Lilliput Press.
- 1985. Marriage in Ireland in the twentieth century. In Marriage in Ireland (ed.) A.Cosgrove, 132-50. Dublin: College Press.