Afterword: reciprocating the hospitality of these pages
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2012
© Royal Anthropological Institute 2012
Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute
Special Issue: The return to hospitality: strangers, guests, and ambiguous encounters. Edited by Matei Candea and Giovanni da Col
Volume 18, Issue Supplement s1, pages S210–S217, June 2012
How to Cite
HERZFELD, M. (2012), Afterword: reciprocating the hospitality of these pages. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, 18: S210–S217. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9655.2012.01773.x
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2012
- 1981. Gastro-politics in Hindu South Asia. American Ethnologist 8, 494-511.
- 1975. The ‘problem’ revisited. In Defining females (ed.) S. Ardener, 19-27. London: Wiley.
- 1994. Simulacra and simulation (trans. S.F. Glaser). Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- 1995. Maussian Occidentalism: gift and commodity systems. In Occidentalism: images of the West (ed.) J.G. Carrier, 85-108. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 1990. Dance and the body politic in northern Greece. Princeton: University Press.
- 1954. The unwritten law in Albania. Cambridge: University Press.
- 1985. The poetics of manhood: contest and identity in a Cretan mountain village. Princeton: University Press.
- 1987. ‘As in your own house’: hospitality, ethnography, and the stereotype of Mediterranean society. In Honor and shame and the unity of the Mediterranean (ed.) D.D. Gilmore, 75-89. Washington, D.C.: American Anthropological Association.
- 2005. Cultural intimacy: social poetics in the nation state. New York: Routledge.
- 2009. Evicted from eternity: the restructuring of modern Rome. Chicago: University Press.
- 1983. The managed heart: commercialization of human feeling. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1994. The dialogics of tribal and national identities in Jordan . Princeton: University Press.
- 2008. Anthropological regionalism. In A new history of anthropology (ed.) H. Kuklick, 310-25. Malden, Mass.: Blackwell.
- 2003. Gambling life: dealing in contingency in a Greek city. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- 1922. Argonauts of the western Pacific: an account of native enterprise and adventure in the archipelagoes of Melanesian New Guinea. London: G. Routledge.
- 1954 [1923-4]. The gift: forms and functions of exchange in archaic societies (trans. I. Cunnison). London: Cohen & West.
- 1972. Belief, language, and experience. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 1991. Friends of the heart: male commensal solidarity, gender, and kinship in Aegean Greece. In Contested identities: gender and kinship in modern Greece (eds) P. Loizos & E. Papataxiarchis, 156-79. Princeton: University Press.
- 2005. The French-speaking countries. In One discipline, four ways: British, German, French, and American anthropology, F. Barth, A. Gingrich, R. Parkin & S. Silverman, 155-253. Chicago: University Press.
- 1968. The stranger, the guest, and the hostile host: introduction to the study of the laws of hospitality. In Contributions to Mediterranean sociology: Mediterranean rural communities and social change (ed.) J.-G. Peristiany, 13-30. Paris: Mouton.
- Rosen, L. (ed.) 1995. Other intentions: cultural contexts and the attribution of inner states. Santa Fe, N.M.: School of American Research Press.
- 1997. Nationalism and the genealogical imagination: oral history and textual authority in tribal Jordan. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1975. The three bells of civilization: the life of an Italian hill town. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1994. Gifts, favors, and banquets: the art of social relationships in China. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press.