Marlon Boarnet served as the editor for this paper.
THE NUMBER-AVERAGE SIZE RULE: A NEW EMPIRICAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INDUSTRIAL LOCATION AND CITY SIZE*
Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2008
Journal of Regional Science
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 165–211, February 2008
How to Cite
Mori, T., Nishikimi, K. and Smith, T. E. (2008), THE NUMBER-AVERAGE SIZE RULE: A NEW EMPIRICAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INDUSTRIAL LOCATION AND CITY SIZE. Journal of Regional Science, 48: 165–211. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9787.2008.00550.x
We thank Asao Ando, Duncan Black, Pierre-Philippe Combes, Gilles Duranton, Masa Fujita, Robert Helseley, Vernon Henderson, Seiro Ito, Hideo Konishi, Maria P. Makabenta, Se-il Mun, Henry Overman, Komei Sasaki, Yasuhiro Sato, Akihisa Shibata, Takaaki Takahashi, Chiharu Tamamura, Jacques-François Thisse, Tatsufumi Yamagata, Atsushi Yoshida, two anonymous referees, and seminar and conference participants at Boston College, Institute of Developing Economies, Kyoto University, Nagoya City University, Tohoku University, University of Tokyo, Yokohama National University, the Annual Meeting of the Japanese Economic Association at Hiroshima University, October 13, 2002, the 49th North American Meeting of the Regional Science Association International in San Juan, November 8–11, 2002, the 16th Meeting of the Applied Regional Science Conference at Okayama University, December 1–2, 2002, for their constructive comments on earlier versions of this paper. We also thank Yoshi Kanemoto for helping us with metropolitan area data for Japan, and Noriko Tabata for helping us with county data. This research has been supported by The Murata Science Foundation, and The Grant in Aid for Research (Nos. 09CE2002, 09730009, 13851002, 19330049) of Ministry of Education, Science and Culture in Japan.
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2008
- Received: September 2006; revised: June 2007; accepted: July 2007.
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!