AUGUSTINE AND THE LIMITS OF PREEMPTIVE AND PREVENTIVE WAR
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2007
Journal of Religious Ethics
Volume 35, Issue 1, pages 141–162, March 2007
How to Cite
Smith, J. W. (2007), AUGUSTINE AND THE LIMITS OF PREEMPTIVE AND PREVENTIVE WAR. Journal of Religious Ethics, 35: 141–162. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9795.2007.00298.x
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2007
- 1953 De libero arbitrio. Translated by J.H.S. Burleigh. In Augustine: Earlier Writings. Volume VI in Library of Christian Classics, edited by JohnBallie, John T.McNeill, and Henry P.Van Dusen. Philadelphia , Pa. : Westminster Press.
- 1972 De civitate Dei. Translated by HenryBettenson. London : Penguin Books.
- 1994a Epistle 138 “To Marcellinus.” In Vol. 4 of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, edited by PhilipSchaff, 481–88. Peabody , Mass. : Hendrickson.
- 1994b Epistle 189 “To Boniface.” In Vol. 1 of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, edited by PhilipSchaff, 553–54. Peabody , Mass. : Hendrickson.
- 1994c Contra Faustum. In Vol. 4 of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, edited by PhilipSchaff, 155–345. Peabody , Mass. : Hendrickson.
- 1999 Augustine's Use of Sallust in the City of God: The Role of the Grammatical Tradition. History, Apocalypse, and the Secular Imagination 30.2: 105–14.
- 1994 Love Your Enemies: Discipleship, Pacifism, and Just War Theory. Minneapolis , Minn. : Fortress.
- 2004 Statement of 100 Christian Ethicists.” At http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=action.ethicists_statement (Accessed July, 2006). et al.
- 1980 The Punic Wars. London : Weidenfeld and Nicolson.
- 1989 Christus Iustus and the Fear of Death in Augustine's Dispute with Pelagius.” In Signum Pietatis, edited by A.Zumkeller, 341–61. Würzburg : Augustinus-Verlag.
- 2004 Christ and the Just Society in the Thought of Augustine. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1972 Rome against Carthage. Garden City , N.Y. : Doubleday. , and
- 1995 Augustine and the Limits of Politics. Notre Dame , Ind. : University of Notre Dame Press.
- 1996 Augustine's Transformation of the Free Will Defense. Faith and Philosophy 13: 471–86.
- 1954 The Fall of Carthage.” In Cambridge Ancient History Vol. VIII Rome and the Mediterranian 218–133 B.C., edited by S. A.Cook, F. E.Adcock, M. P.Charlesworth, 466–94. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , and
- 1999 St. Augustine and the Just War Theory.” In The Augustinian Tradition, edited by Gareth B.Matthews, 323–44. Berkeley , Calif. : University of California Press.
- 2005 The War to Oust Saddam Hussein: Just War and the New Face of Conflict. Lanham , Md. : Rowman & Littlefield.
- 2003 Evaluating the Preemptive Use of Force. Ethics and International Affairs 17.1: 1.
- 1984 Elements of Augustine's Just War Theory. Journal of Religious Ethics 12.1 (Spring): 19–38.
- 1988 The Just War Theory in the Work of Saint Augustine. Augustinian Studies 19: 37–70.
- 1983 Saint Augustine's Views on the Just War.” In The Church and War, edited by W. J.Sheils, 1–13. Oxford : Basil Blackwell.
- 1999 Augustine's Roman Empire. History, Apocalypse, and the Secular Imagination 30.2: 29–45.
- 1951 St. Augustine and the Christian Idea of Progress. Journal of the History of Ideas 12.3: 346–74.
- 1970 De Libero Arbitrio I: Stoicism Revisited. Augustinian Studies 1: 49–67.
- 1999 Thinking through History: Augustine's Method in City of God and Its Ciceronian Dimension. History, Apocalypse, and the Secular Imagination 30.2: 45–57.
- 1961 War and the Christian Conscience: How Shall Modern War Be Conducted Justly? Durham , N.C. : Duke University Press.
- 1973 Augustine on War and Killing: Another View. Harvard Theological Review 66: 369–83.
- 1987 The Civic Vision in Augustine's City of God. Thought 62: 268–80.
- 1977 Just and Unjust Wars. New York : Basic.