SOMA, SELF, AND SOCIETY: SOMAESTHETICS AS PRAGMATIST MELIORISM
Article first published online: 4 APR 2011
© 2011 The Author. Metaphilosophy © 2011 Metaphilosophy LLC and Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Fortieth-Anniversary Special Issue: The Future of Philosophy: Metaphilosophical Directions for The Twenty-First Century
Volume 42, Issue 3, pages 314–327, April 2011
How to Cite
SHUSTERMAN, R. (2011), SOMA, SELF, AND SOCIETY: SOMAESTHETICS AS PRAGMATIST MELIORISM. Metaphilosophy, 42: 314–327. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9973.2011.01687.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2011
- 2004. “Pragmatism, Artificial Intelligence, and Posthuman Bioethics: Shusterman, Rorty, and Foucault. Human Studies 27:241–58.
- Shusterman and the Paradoxes of Superhuman Self-Styling.” In Shusterman's Pragmatism: From Literature to Somaesthetics, edited by DorotaKoczanowicz and WojciechMałecki. Amsterdam: Rodopi. Forthcoming. “
- 2005. “Somaesthetics, Education, and the Art of Dance. Journal of Aesthetic Education 39, no. 1:48–64.
- 2008. “Q&A Richard Shusterman Talks About His New Book: Body Consciousness: A Philosophy of Mindfulness and Somaesthetics.”Philosophers' Magazine no. 41 (2nd quarter): 117–18. , and .
- 2008. “Somaesthetic Awareness and Artistic Practice: A Review Essay.”International Journal of Education and the Arts 9, review 1, available at http://www.ijea.org/v9r1/
- Festenstein, Matthew, and SimonThompson, eds. 2001. Richard Rorty: Critical Dialogues. Malden, Mass.: Blackwell.
- 2005. How the Body Shapes the Mind. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2002. “Somaesthetics and Democracy: Dewey and Contemporary Body Art. Journal of Aesthetic Education 36, no. 4:55–68.
- 2003. “Why We Choose the More Attractive Looking Objects: Somatic Markers and Somaesthetics in User Experience.” In Proceedings of the 2003 Conference on Designing Pleasurable Products and Interfaces (New York: Association for Computing Machinery), 142–43.
- 2007. “Interaction Gestalt and the Design of Aesthetic Interactions.” In Proceedings of the 2007 Conference on Designing Pleasurable Products and Interfaces (New York: Association for Computing Machinery), 239–54. , et al.
- 1977. “Psychologic Characterization of the Elite Distance Runner. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 301:382–403. , and .
- 2006a. “Performative Somaesthetics: Principles and Scope. Journal of Aesthetic Education 40, no. 4:104–17.
- 2006b. “The Violent Aesthetic: A Reconsideration of Transgressive Body Art. Journal of Speculative Philosophy 20, no. 2:85–92.
- 2009. “soft(n): Toward a Somaesthetics of Touch.” In Computer Human Interaction 2009 Proceedings and Extended Abstracts (New York: Association for Computing Machinery), 2427–38.
- 1990. “Beneath Interpretation, Against Hermeneutic Holism. Monist 73:181–204.
- 1992. Pragmatist Aesthetics: Living Beauty, Rethinking Art. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 1999. “Somaesthetics: A Disciplinary Proposal. Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 57, no. 3:299–313.
- 2000. Pragmatist Aesthetics: Living Beauty, Rethinking Art. 2nd ed. New York: Rowman and Littlefield. (With a new introduction and an additional chapter.)
- 2007a. “Asian Ars Erotica and the Question of Sexual Aesthetics. Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 65, no. 1:55–68.
- 2007b. Conscience du corps: Pour une soma-esthétique. Paris: L'éclat.
- 2007c. “Self-Knowledge and Its Discontents.”Philosophy and Education Yearbook: 25–37 (Kneller Lecture).
- 2008. Body Consciousness: A Philosophy of Mindfulness and Somaesthetics. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- 2009. “Body Consciousness and Performance: Somaesthetics East and West. Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 67, no. 2:133–45.
- 2010. “Pragmatism and Cultural Politics: From Rortian Idealism to Somaesthetics. New Literary History 41, no. 1:69–94.
- 2011. “Somaesthetics and Architecture: A Critical Option.” In Architecture in the Age of Empire/Die Architektur der Neuen Weltordnung, edited by KristianFaschingeder, KariJormakka, NorbertKorrek, OlafPfeifer, and GerdZimmermann, 285–301. Weimar: Universitätsverlag.
- Muscle Memory and the Somaesthetic Pathologies of Everyday Life. Human Movement 12:1. Forthcoming. “
- 2003. Sexual Life in Ancient China: A Preliminary Survey of Chinese Sex and Society from ca. 1500 B.C. till 1644 A.D. Leiden: Brill.