Aging in America in the Twenty-first Century: Demographic Forecasts from the MacArthur Foundation Research Network on an Aging Society
Version of Record online: 14 DEC 2009
© 2009 Milbank Memorial Fund
The Milbank Quarterly
Volume 87, Issue 4, pages 842–862, December 2009
How to Cite
OLSHANSKY, S. J., GOLDMAN, D. P., ZHENG, Y. and ROWE, J. W. (2009), Aging in America in the Twenty-first Century: Demographic Forecasts from the MacArthur Foundation Research Network on an Aging Society. Milbank Quarterly, 87: 842–862. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0009.2009.00581.x
- Issue online: 14 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 14 DEC 2009
- 2000. Policy Forum: Public Health. The Health and Wealth of Nations. Science 287:1207–9. , and .
- 2005. Long Range Trends in Adult Mortality: Models and Projection Methods. Demography 42(1):23–49.
- 2002. How Long Do We Live Population and Development Review 28(1):13–29. , and .
- 2008. New Model of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention for the 21st Century. British Medical Journal 337:149–50. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The Aging Factor in Health and Disease: The Promise of Basic Research on Aging. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research 16:104–11, discussion 111–12. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. A Biologically Motivated Partitioning of Mortality. Experimental Gerontology 32:615–31. , and .
- 2005. The Influence of Genes on the Aging Process of Mice: A Statistical Assessment of the Genetics of Aging. Genetics 169:265–74. , , and .
- 2008. Chief Actuary, Social Security Administration (personal communication).
- 2009. Rapamycin Fed Late in Life Extends Lifespan in Genetically Heterogeneous Mice. Nature 460:392–95. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Methodology and Assumptions for the Population Projections of the United States: 1999 to 2100. Available at http://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0038/twps0038.html (accessed September 22, 2009). , , and .
- 2003. Age-Retardation: Scientific Possibilities and Moral Challenges. Available at http://www.bioethics.gov/background/age_retardation.html (accessed September 22, 2009).
- 2008. A Systematic Look at an Old Problem. Nature 451:644–47.
- 2005. Coherent Mortality Forecasts for a Group of Populations: An Extension of the Lee-Carter Method. Demography 42:575–94. , and .
- 2007. Genetic Determinants of Human Health Span and Life Span: Progress and New Opportunities. PLoS Genetics 3:e125. , , and .
- 2008. The Gap Gets Bigger: Changes in Mortality and Life Expectancy, by Education, 1981–2000. Health Affairs (Millwood) 27:350–60. , , and .
- 2002. Extending Life: Scientific Prospects and Political Obstacles. The Milbank Quarterly 80:155–74.
- 2005. Methionine-Deficient Diet Extends Mouse Lifespan, Slows Immune and Lens Aging, Alters Glucose, T4, IGF-I and Insulin Levels, and Increases Hepatocyte MIF Levels and Stress Resistance. Aging Cell 4:119–25. , , , , , and .
- National Bureau of Economic Research. 2008. Mortality Data—Vital Statistics NCHS's Multiple Cause of Death Data, 1959–2006. Available at http://www.nber.org/data/multicause.html (accessed September 22, 2009).
- 2002. Demography: Broken Limits to Life Expectancy. Science 296:1029–31. , and .
- 1987. Simultaneous/Multiple Cause-Delay (SIMCAD): An Epidemiological Approach to Projecting Mortality. Journal of Gerontology 42:358–65.
- 1986. The Fourth Stage of the Epidemiologic Transition: The Age of Delayed Degenerative Diseases. The Milbank Quarterly 64:355–91. , and .
- 1990. In Search of Methuselah: Estimating the Upper Limits to Human Longevity. Science 250:634–40. , , and .
- 1993. The Aging of the Human Species. Scientific American 268:46–52. , , and .
- 2001. Demography. Prospects for Human Longevity. Science 291:1491–92. , , and .
- 2005. A Potential Decline in Life Expectancy in the United States in the 21st Century. New England Journal of Medicine 352:1138–45. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. The Canary in the Coal Mine of Coronary Artery Disease. Archives of Internal Medicine 168:261. , and .
- 2008. 2008 Annual Report of the Boards of Trustees of the Federal Hospital Insurance and Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Funds. Washington , D.C. : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- 1999. Gray Dawn: How the Coming Age Wave Will Transform America—And the World. New York : Times Books.
- 2008. Evidence for Lifespan Extension and Delayed Age-Related Biomarkers in Insulin Receptor Substrate 1 Null Mice. FASEB Journal 22:807–18. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Prospects for Life Span Extension. Annual Review of Medicine 60:457–69. , , , and .
- 2006. Widening Socioeconomic Inequalities in US Life Expectancy, 1980–2000. International Journal of Epidemiology 35:969–79. , and .
- Social Security Administration. 2008a. Annual Benefits Paid from OASI Trust Fund, by Type of Benefit, 1937–2008. Available at http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/STATS/table4a5.html (accessed September 22, 2009).
- Social Security Administration. 2008b. Assumptions and Methods Underlying Actuarial Estimates. Available at http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/TR/TR08/V_demographic.html#155199 (accessed September 22, 2009).
- Social Security Administration. 2008c. Number of Beneficiaries Receiving Benefits on December 31, 1970–2008. Available at http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/STATS/OASDIbenies.html (accessed September 22, 2009).
- 2003. The Endocrine Regulation of Aging by Insulin-like Signals. Science 299:1346–51. , , and .
- 2000. A Universal Pattern of Mortality Decline in the G7 Countries. Nature 405:789–92. , , and .
- United Nations. 2001. World Population Ageing: 1950–2050. New York : Population Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs. Available at http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/worldageing19502050/ (accessed September 22, 2009).
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2008. 2008 National Population Projections. Available at http://www.census.gov/population/www/projections/2008projections.html (accessed September 22, 2009).
- 2004. Hormone-Treated Snell Dwarf Mice Regain Fertility but Remain Long Lived and Disease Resistant. Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 59:1244–50. , , , , and .
- 2008. Will All Americans Become Overweight or Obese? Estimating the Progression and Cost of the US Obesity Epidemic. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:2323–30. , , , , and .
- 1997. Seminars in Medicine of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Caloric Intake and Aging. New England Journal of Medicine 337:986–94. , and .
- 2008. Why Did Medicare Spending Growth Slow Down Health Affairs (Millwood) 27:793–802.
- 2004. Global Prevalence of Diabetes: Estimates for the Year 2000 and Projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 27:1047–53. , , , , and .
- 1998. The Future of Human Longevity: A Demographer's Perspective. Science 280:395–97.