Assessing the Evaluability of Complex Public Health Interventions: Five Questions for Researchers, Funders, and Policymakers
Article first published online: 15 JUN 2011
© 2011 Milbank Memorial Fund. Published by Wiley Periodicals Inc.
Volume 89, Issue 2, pages 206–225, June 2011
How to Cite
OGILVIE, D., CUMMINS, S., PETTICREW, M., WHITE, M., JONES, A. and WHEELER, K. (2011), Assessing the Evaluability of Complex Public Health Interventions: Five Questions for Researchers, Funders, and Policymakers. Milbank Quarterly, 89: 206–225. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0009.2011.00626.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 15 JUN 2011
- 2010. Health Improvement Programmes: Really Too Complex to Evaluate? BMJ 340:c1332. , , , , and .
- 1965. The Environment and Disease: Association or Causation? Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine 58:295–300.
- Breckland Council. 2009. Report of the Director of Services and the Deputy Chief Executive to the General Purposes Committee—7th January 2009. Thetford—Healthy Town. Available at http://democracy.breckland.gov.uk (accessed July 14, 2010).
- 2008. Developing and Evaluating Complex Interventions: New Guidance. London : Medical Research Council. , , , , , and .
- Department of Health. 2008a. Healthy Community Challenge Fund: Invitation to Local Areas. Available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/DH_085328 (accessed July 13, 2010).
- Department of Health. 2008b. Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives: A Cross Government Strategy for England. London : Department of Health.
- Dudley Healthy Towns. 2010. Dudley Healthy Towns. Available at http://www.dudleyhealthytowns.co.uk (accessed July 14, 2010).
- 2008. Policy to Tackle the Social Determinants of Health: Using Conceptual Models to Understand the Policy Process. Health Policy & Planning 23:318–27.
- 1987. Equipoise and the Ethics of Clinical Research. New England Journal of Medicine 317:141–45.
- 2006. What's Next for Translation Research? Evaluation & the Health Professions 29:334–47. , and .
- 2009. Theorizing Interventions as Events in Systems. American Journal of Community Psychology 43:267–76. , , and .
- House of Commons Health Committee. 2009. Health Inequalities. Third Report of Session 2008–09. London : Stationery Office.
- 2001. A Dictionary of Epidemiology. Oxford : Oxford University Press. , ed.
- 2010. Evaluability Assessment to Improve Public Health Policies, Programs and Practices. Annual Review of Public Health 31:213–33. , , , , and .
- 2008. Attitudes to Walking and Cycling among Children, Young People and Parents: A Systematic Review. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 62:852–57. , , , , and .
- 2010. Do Health Improvement Programmes Fit with MRC Guidance on Evaluating Complex Interventions? BMJ 340:c185. , , , , and .
- Medical Research Council. 2000. A Framework for Development and Evaluation of RCTs for Complex Interventions to Improve Health. London : Medical Research Council.
- Moving Thetford Forward. 2010. Moving Thetford Forward. Available at http://www.movingthetfordforward.com (accessed July 14, 2010).
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2008. Promoting and Creating Built or Natural Environments That Encourage and Support Physical Activity. London : National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.
- National Obesity Observatory. 2009. Standard Evaluation Framework for Weight Management Interventions. Oxford .
- 1998. Evaluating Health Promotion—Progress, Problems and Solutions. Health Promotion International 13:27–44.
- 2009. A Translational Framework for Public Health Research. BMC Public Health 9:116. , , , , and .
- 1997. Realistic Evaluation. London : Sage. , and .
- 2004. Evidence for Public Health Policy on Inequalities: 1: The Reality According to Policymakers. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 58:811–16. , , , , and .
- 2009. Study Designs and Analytic Strategies for Environmental and Policy Research on Obesity, Physical Activity, and Diet: Recommendations from a Meeting of Experts. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 36(2 suppl.):S72–S77. , , and .
- 2009. Can We Systematically Review Studies That Evaluate Complex Interventions? PLoS Medicine 6:e1000086. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Applied Public Health Research—Falling through the Cracks? BMC Public Health 9:362. , , , and .
- 2007. Temporal Trends in Physical Activity in England: The Health Survey for England 1991 to 2004. Preventive Medicine 45:416–23. , , and .
- Thetford Healthy Town. 2010. Thetford Healthy Town. Available at http://www.thetfordhealthytown.co.uk (accessed July 14, 2010).
- 2004. Evaluating the Health Effects of Social Interventions. BMJ 328:282–85. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Evaluability Assessment: A Primer. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation 8:20. , and .
- 2004. Public Health Evidence. In Securing Good Health for the Whole Population: Final Report. London : HM Treasury.
- 2007. Childhood Obesity: Thin Living. BMJ 335:1236–37.
- 2009. How and Why Do Interventions That Increase Health Overall Widen Inequalities within Populations? In Social Inequality and Public Health, ed. S. Babones, 65–82. Bristol : Policy Press. , , and .
- 1979. Evaluation: Promise and Performance. Washington , DC : Urban Institute.
- 2008. Why Promote the Findings of Single Research Studies? BMJ 336:722. , and , on behalf of the Medical Research Council's Population Health Sciences Research Network knowledge transfer project team.
- 2004. Evaluation of Health Promotion, Health Education and Disease Prevention Programs. Boston : McGraw-Hill. , , , and .
- 1979. Changing Urban Bureaucracies: How New Practices Become Routinized. Lexington , MA : DC Heath.