Metropolitan Fragmentation and Health Disparities: Is There a Link?
Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2012
© 2012 Milbank Memorial Fund
The Milbank Quarterly
Volume 90, Issue 1, pages 187–207, March 2012
How to Cite
ANDRÉ HUTSON, M., KAPLAN, G. A., RANJIT, N. and MUJAHID, M. S. (2012), Metropolitan Fragmentation and Health Disparities: Is There a Link?. Milbank Quarterly, 90: 187–207. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0009.2011.00659.x
- Issue online: 19 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2012
- 2003. Future Directions in Residential Segregation and Health Research: A Multilevel Approach. American Journal of Public Health 93(2):215–21. , , , and .
- 1997. Urban Spatial Structure. Working paper no. 357, University of California Transportation Center, University of California at Berkeley. , , and .
- 1997. Mortality Effects of Community Socioeconomic Status. Epidemiology 8(1):42–47. Available at http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/51365 (accessed October 10, 2011). , , , , and .
- 2002. Neighborhood Environment and Loss of Physical Function in Older Adults: Evidence from the Alameda County Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 155(6):507–15. , and .
- 2009. The Effects of Vehicle Ownership on Employment. Journal of Urban Economics 66(3):151–63.
- 1997. Breakdown of Local Governments by Type and MSA. Available at http://www.briem.com/frag/1997COGMSARankings.htm (accessed October 10, 2011).
- 2005. The Geography of Opportunity: Race and Housing Choice in Metropolitan America. Washington , DC : Brookings Institution Press.
- 2010. Race, Class, and Real Estate. In Breakthrough Communities: Sustainability and Justice in the Next American Metropolis, ed. M. Paloma Pavel, 59–66. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press.
- 2001. Relationship between Premature Mortality and Socioeconomic Factors in Black and White Populations of US Metropolitan Areas. Public Health Reports 116(5):464–73. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Understanding and Representing “Place” in Health Research: A Relational Approach. Social Science & Medicine 65(9):1825–38. , , , and .
- 2001. Neighborhood of Residence and Incidence of Coronary Heart Disease. New England Journal of Medicine 345:99–106. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Place Matters: Metropolitics for the Twenty-First Century, 2nd ed. Lawrence : University of Kansas Press. , , and .
- 1999. Citymaking: Building Communities without Building Walls. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 2004. Urban Sprawl and Public Health: Designing, Planning, and Building for Healthy Communities. Washington , DC : Island Press. , , and .
- 1987. Poverty and Health—Prospective Evidence from the Alameda County Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 125(6):989–98. Available at http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/51456 (accessed October 10, 2011). , , and .
- 2004. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health and Mortality among the U.S. Elderly Population. In Critical Perspectives on Racial and Ethnic Differences in Health in Late Life, ed. N.B. Anderson, R.A. Bulatao, and B. Cohen, 53–94. Washington , DC : National Academies Press. , , and .
- 1985. Crabgrass Frontier: The Suburbanization of the United States. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2002. Sprawl, Concentration of Poverty, and Urban Inequality. In Urban Sprawl: Causes, Consequences & Policy Responses, ed. G.D. Squires, 39–72. Washington , DC : Urban Institute Press.
- 2000. The Racial Crossover in Comorbidity, Disability, and Mortality. Demography 37:267–83.
- 2006. City Politics: The Political Economy of Urban America, 5th ed. New York : Pearson/Longman. , and .
- 1998. Socioeconomic Considerations in the Health of Urban Areas. Journal of Urban Health 75(2):228–35. Available at http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/55358 (accessed October 10, 2011).
- 1999. What Is the Role of the Social Environment in Understanding Inequalities in Health? Annals of the New York Academy of Science 896:116–19. Available at http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/55348 (accessed October 10, 2011).
- 2009. The Poor Pay More—Poverty's High Cost to Health. Available at http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/65007 (accessed October 10, 2011).
- 2003. Neighborhoods and Health. New York : Oxford University Press. , and , eds.
- 1993. Segregation, Poverty, and Empowerment: Health Consequences for African Americans. The Milbank Quarterly 71(1):41–64.
- 2005. Minority Populations and Health: An Introduction to Health Disparities in the United States. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass.
- 1979. The Black/White Mortality Crossover: Investigation from the Perspective of the Components of Aging. The Gerontologist 19:291–300. , , and .
- 2008. Origins of Economic Disparities: The Historical Role of Housing Segregation. In Segregation: The Rising Costs for America, ed. J.H. Carr and N.K. Kutty, 39–80. New York : Routledge.
- 1993. American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press. , and .
- 1993. Actual Causes of Death in the United States. JAMA 270(18):2207–12. , and .
- 2006. The Riskscape and the Color Line: Examining the Role of Segregation in Environmental Health Disparities. Environmental Research 102:181–96. , and .
- 2007. Understanding Social Disparities in Hypertension Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment, and Control: The Role of Neighborhood Context. Social Science & Medicine 65(9):1853–66. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Spatial and Transportation Mismatch in Los Angeles. Journal of Planning Education and Research 25(1):43–56. , and .
- 2010. Region: Planning the Future of the Twin Cities. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press. , and .
- 2000. Regions That Work: How Cities and Suburbs Grow Together. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press. , , and .
- 2002. Sprawl Fragmentation, and the Persistence of Racial Inequality: Limiting Civil Rights by Fragmenting Space. In Urban Sprawl: Causes, Consequences & Policy Responses, ed. G.D. Squires, 73–118. Washington , DC : Urban Institute Press.
- 2010. Job Sprawl and the Suburbanization of Poverty. Metropolitan Opportunity Series 5. Washington , DC : Brookings Institution. Available at http://www.brookings.edu/reports/2010/0330_job_sprawl_stoll_raphael.aspx (accessed October 10, 2011). , and .
- 2008. Neighborhood Selection and the Social Reproduction of Concentrated Racial Inequality. Demography 45(1):1–29. , and .
- 2008. Social and Economic Policy as Health Policy. New York : Russell Sage. , , , and , eds.
- 2002. Racial and Spatial Relations as Fundamental Determinants of Health in Detroit. The Milbank Quarterly 80(4):677–707. , , , and .
- 2005. Job Sprawl and the Spatial Mismatch between Blacks and Jobs. Washington , DC : Brookings Institution Press. Available at http://www.brookings.edu/reports/2005/02metropolitanpolicy_stoll.aspx (accessed October 10, 2011).
- 2007. Noxious New York: The Racial Politics of Urban Health and Environmental Justice. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census, Population Division. 1999. Metropolitan Areas and Components, 1999, with FIPS Codes. Available at http://www.census.gov/population/estimates/metro-city/99mfips.txt (accessed September 16, 2007).
- U.S. Department of Transportation. 2007. Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. Available at http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/interstate.cfm (accessed March 1, 2007).
- 1996. Socio-economic Differences in Mortality. A Life Course Approach. European Journal of Population / Revue européenne de démographie 12 (2):167–85. , , , and .
- 1999. Poverty Area Residence and Changes in Depression and Perceived Health Status: Evidence from the Alameda County Study. International Journal of Epidemiology 28(1):90–94. , and .