The Rise and Fall of the Lyme Disease Vaccines: A Cautionary Tale for Risk Interventions in American Medicine and Public Health
Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2012
© 2012 Milbank Memorial Fund
The Milbank Quarterly
Volume 90, Issue 2, pages 250–277, June 2012
How to Cite
ARONOWITZ, R. A. (2012), The Rise and Fall of the Lyme Disease Vaccines: A Cautionary Tale for Risk Interventions in American Medicine and Public Health. Milbank Quarterly, 90: 250–277. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0009.2012.00663.x
- Issue online: 18 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2012
- ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices) of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 1998. Meeting minutes, June 24–25. Available by request to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- 1998. F.D.A. Experts Back a Vaccine against Lyme. New York Times, May 27, A1.
- 1990. A Major Revival in Research on Vaccines. New York Times, August 22, D7.
- 1991. Lyme Disease: The Emergence and Social Construction of a New Disease. The Milbank Quarterly 69:79–112.
- 1998. Making Sense of Illness: Science, Society, and Disease. New York : Cambridge University Press.
- 2007. Unnatural History: Breast Cancer and American Society. New York : Cambridge University Press.
- 2009. The Converged Experience of Risk and Disease. The Milbank Quarterly 87(2):417–42.
- 2010. Vaccines against Cancer. In Three Shots at Prevention: The HPV Vaccine and the Politics of Medicine's Simple Solutions, ed. K. Wailoo, J. Livingston, S. Epstein, and R. Aronowitz, 21–38. Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1997. Let Scientists Do Their Job. New York Times, July 5, 23.
- 2006. State of Immunity: The Politics of Vaccination in Twentieth-Century America. Berkeley : University of California Press/ New York : Milbank Memorial Fund.
- 1991. Caution Is Urged on Lyme Disease Vaccinations for Dogs. New York Times, June 22, 48.
- 1996. Impure Science: AIDS, Activism, and the Politics of Knowledge. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2007. Inclusion: The Politics of Difference in Medical Research. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1999. Lyme Expert Developed Big Picture of Tiny Tick. New York Times, May 4, F7.
- 2000. SmithKline Readies DTC Effort for Lyme Disease Vaccine. Advertising Age (online journal), April 17. Available at http://adage.com/article/news/smithkline-readies-dtc-effort-lyme-disease-vaccine/58685/ (accessed July 7, 2011).
- 2006. States of Knowledge: The Co-Production of Science and the Social Order. London : Routledge.
- 1993. Association of Treatment-Resistant Chronic Lyme Arthritis with HLA-DR4 and Antibody Reactivity to OspA and OspB of Borrelia burgdorferi. Infection and Immunity 61(7):2774–79. , , and .
- 1994. Flexible Bodies. Boston : Beacon Press, 1994.
- 1996. The Widening Circle: A Lyme Disease Pioneer Tells Her Story. New York : St. Martin's Press.
- 1978. The Swine Flu Affair, Decision-Making on a Slippery Disease. Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare. , and .
- 1997. 2 Firms Seeking Approval of Lyme Disease Vaccines. New York Times, February 4, B4.
- 1999. The First Shot Is Fired in the Lyme Disease War. New York Times, January 24, CT1.
- 1996. Testing for a Lyme Disease Vaccine. New York Times, December 1, CN1.
- 2003. Glaxo Settles Lyme Disease Vaccine Suit. Philadelphia Inquirer, July 9, B3.
- 1998. A Vaccine Consisting of Recombinant Borrelia burgdorferi Outer-Surface Protein A to Prevent Lyme Disease. New England Journal of Medicine 339:216–22. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Lyme Borreliosis in 2005, 30 Years after Initial Observations in Lyme Connecticut. Wien Klin Wochenschr 118(21–22):625–33.
- 1998. Vaccination against Lyme Disease with Recombinant Borrelia burgdorferi Outer-Surface Lipoprotein A with Adjuvant. New England Journal of Medicine 339:209–15. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Lyme Disease: Point/Counterpoint. Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy 3:155–65. , , and .
- VRBPAC (Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee) of the Food and Drug Administration. 1998. Minutes, May 26. Available at http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/98/transcpt/3422t1.pdf (accessed July 19, 2010).
- VRBPAC (Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee) of the Food and Drug Administration. 2001. Minutes, January 31. Available at http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/01/transcripts/3680t2_01.pdf (accessed July 12, 2010).
- 2009. Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic. New York : St. Martin's Griffin.
- 1994. Vaccine Trial Begins against Lyme Disease. Washington Post, June 21, F7.
- 2011. Over-Diagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health. Boston : Beacon Press. , , and .
- 2006. The Clinical Assessment, Treatment, and Prevention of Lyme Disease, Human Granulocytic Anaplasmosis, and Babesiosis: Clinical Practice Guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases 43:1089–1134. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .