Fundamental Causes of Colorectal Cancer Mortality: The Implications of Informational Diffusion
Version of Record online: 17 SEP 2012
© 2012 Milbank Memorial Fund
The Milbank Quarterly
Volume 90, Issue 3, pages 592–618, September 2012
How to Cite
WANG, A., CLOUSTON, S. A.P., RUBIN, M. S., COLEN, C. G. and LINK, B. G. (2012), Fundamental Causes of Colorectal Cancer Mortality: The Implications of Informational Diffusion. Milbank Quarterly, 90: 592–618. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0009.2012.00675.x
- Issue online: 17 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 17 SEP 2012
- 2003. Epidemiology of Lung Cancer. Chest 123:21S–49S. , and .
- 2009. Association of Colonoscopy and Death from Colorectal Cancer. Annals of Internal Medicine 150:1–8. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Associations between Community Income and Cancer Survival in Ontario, Canada, and the United States. Journal of Clinical Oncology 17:2244–55. , , , and .
- 2010. Two Decades of Declining Cancer Mortality: Progress with Disparity. Annual Review of Public Health 31:121–32.
- 1997. Diffusion of Health Care Policy Innovation in the United States. State & Local Government Review 29:17–26. , and .
- CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). 2012. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2008 Incidence and Mortality Web-Based Report. Atlanta : Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; National Cancer Institute.
- 2009. Fundamental Cause Theory, Technological Innovation, and Health Disparities: The Case of Cholesterol in the Era of Statins. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 50:245–60. , and .
- 2011. An Unnatural History: The Rise and Fall of Social Inequalities in Cause-Specific Mortality. In American Sociological Association's Annual Meeting, edited by K. Lutfey and S. Timmermans. Las Vegas : American Sociological Association. , , , and .
- 2012. Health Professional Networks as a Vector for Improving Healthcare Quality and Safety: A Systematic Review. BMJ Quality & Safety 21:239–49. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer, 1975–2006, Featuring Colorectal Cancer Trends and Impact of Interventions (Risk Factors, Screening, and Treatment) to Reduce Future Rates. Cancer 116:544–73. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Blood Pressure and Socioeconomic Status in Low-Income Women in Mexico: A Reverse Gradient Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 62:e8. , and .
- 2004. Examination of Population-wide Trends in Barriers to Cancer Screening from a Diffusion of Innovation Perspective (1987–2000). Preventive Medicine 38:258–68. , , and .
- 2010. The Quality of Colonoscopy Services Responsibilities of Referring Clinicians. Journal of General Internal Medicine 25:1230–34. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Fundamental Causality: Challenges of an Animating Concept for Medical Sociology. In Handbook of the Sociology of Health, Illness, and Healing, ed. B.A. Pescosolido, J.K. Martin, J.D. McLeod, and A. Rogers, 67–81. New York : Springer. , and .
- 1995. Regression Analyses of Counts and Rates: Poisson, Overdispersed Poisson, and Negative Binomial Models. Psychological Bulletin 118:392–404. , , and .
- 2004. Social Determinants and Their Unequal Distribution: Clarifying Policy Understandings. The Milbank Quarterly 82:101–24.
- 2009. Diffusion Theory and Knowledge Dissemination, Utilization, and Integration in Public Health. Annual Review of Public Health 30:151–74. , , , and .
- 2004. Diffusion of Innovations in Service Organizations: Systematic Review and Recommendations. The Milbank Quarterly 82:581–629. , , , , and .
- 2011. Inequalities in Adoption of Cancer Screening from a Diffusion of Innovation Perspective: Identification of Late Adopters. Cancer Epidemiology 35:90–96. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Race, Neighbourhood Characteristics and Disparities in Chemotherapy for Colorectal Cancer. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 65:211–17. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Ethnicity and Management of Colon Cancer in New Zealand. Cancer 116:3205–14. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Opportunities for the Primary Prevention of Colorectal Cancer in the United States. Cancer Prevention Research 5:138–45. , , , and .
- 2001. Is Economic Policy Health Policy? American Journal of Public Health 91:351–53. , and .
- 2006. National Intervention and the Diffusion of Policy Innovations. American Politics Research 34:403–26.
- 2012. Shrinking, Widening, Reversing, and Stagnating Trends in US Socioeconomic Inequities in Cancer Mortality for the Total, Black, and White Populations: 1960–2006. Cancer Causes and Control 23:297–319. , , , and .
- 2008. Epidemiological Sociology and the Social Shaping of Population Health. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 49:367–84.
- 1998. Social Epidemiology and the Fundamental Cause Concept: On the Structuring of Effective Cancer Screens by Socioeconomic Status. The Milbank Quarterly 76:375–402. , , , and .
- 1995. Social Conditions as Fundamental Causes of Disease. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 35:80–94. , and .
- 2009. The Social Shaping of Health and Smoking. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 104:S6–S10. , and .
- 2010. Social Conditions as Fundamental Causes of Health Inequalities. In Handbook of Medical Sociology, 6th ed., ed. C.E. Bird, P. Conrad, A.M. Fremont, and S. Timmermans, 3–17. , and .
- 2008. The Resources That Matter: Fundamental Social Causes of Health Disparities and the Challenge of Intelligence. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 51:72–91. , , , and .
- 1993. Diffusion, Dissemination, and Implementation: Who Should Do What? Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 703:226–37.
- 2007. Network Analysis in Public Health: History, Methods, and Applications. Annual Review of Public Health 28:69–93. , and .
- 2005. Toward Some Fundamentals of Fundamental Causality: Socioeconomic Status and Health in the Routine Clinic Visit for Diabetes. American Journal of Sociology 110:1326–72. , and .
- 2001. Racial Differences in Colorectal Cancer Mortality. The Importance of Stage and Socioeconomic Status. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 54:359–66. , and .
- Forthcoming. The Perpetuation of U.S. Mortality Disparities over Time: The Role of Emergent and Growing Disparities. American Sociological Review. , , , and .
- 2008. Diffusion of Surgical Innovation among Patients with Kidney Cancer. Cancer 112:1708–17. , , , , and .
- NCHS (National Center for Health Statistics). 2010. Compressed Mortality File 1968–2008 (machine-readable data file and documentation, CD-ROM Series 20-1A, 2E, 2N) as Compiled from Data Provided by the 57 Vital Statistics Jurisdictions through the Vital Statistics Cooperative Program. Hyattsville , MD .
- 2005. Controlling Disease and Creating Disparities: A Fundamental Cause Perspective. Journals of Gerontology: Series B 60:27–33. , and .
- 2004. “Fundamental Causes” of Social Inequalities in Mortality: A Test of the Theory. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 45:265–85. , , , , and .
- 2010. Social Conditions as Fundamental Causes of Health Inequalities: Theory, Evidence, and Policy Implications. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 51:S28–S40. , , and .
- 2012. Colonoscopy versus Fecal Immunochemical Testing in Colorectal-Cancer Screening. New England Journal of Medicine 366:697–706. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Can We Fix Colonoscopy? Yes! Gastroenterology 140:19–21.
- 2010. Examination of Inequalities in HIV/AIDS Mortality in the United States from a Fundamental Cause Perspective. American Journal of Public Health 100:1053–59. , , and .
- Forthcoming. Fundamental Causes of Age-Adjusted Colorectal Cancer Mortality: Understanding the Importance of Socioeconomic Status and Race in Creating Inequality in Mortality. American Journal of Public Health. , , , , and .
- 2002. Changing Area Socio-economic Patterns in US Cancer Mortality, 1950–1998: Part II—Lung and Colorectal Cancers. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 94:916–25. ., , and .
- 2005. Technology Adoption from Hybrid Corn to Beta-Blockers. NBER Working Paper 11251. , and .
- 2010. Racial Disparities in Stage-Specific Colorectal Cancer Mortality: 1960–2005. American Journal of Public Health 100:1912–16. , , , and .
- 1998. Diffusion in Organizations and Social Movements: From Hybrid Corn to Poison Pills. Annual Review of Sociology 24:265–90. , and .
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2011. Census of Population and Housing, 1970–2010. Available at http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/decennial/(accessed September 2, 2012).
- USCSWG (U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group). 2009. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2005 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. Atlanta : National Cancer Institute.
- 2009. Civil Liberty in America: The Diffusion of Municipal Bill of Rights Resolutions after the Passage of the USA Patriot Act. American Journal of Sociology 114:1716–64. , and .
- 1969. The Diffusion of Innovations among the American States. American Political Science Review 63:880–99.
- 2012. Do Physicians Understand Cancer Screening Statistics? A National Survey of Primary Care Physicians in the United States. Annals of Internal Medicine 156:340–49. , , , , and .
- 2003. Social Determinants of Health: The Solid Facts. Copenhagen : World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe. , and .
- 1998. Long-Term Cancer Patient Survival in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 7:271. , , , and .