The ideas in this paper developed in graduate seminars given at Harvard in 2002 and Michigan in 2005. I am extremely grateful to audiences in both places. More generally I'd like to thank Selim Berker, Aaron Bronfman, David Chalmers, Dorothy Edgington, Ken Gemes, Jim Joyce, Thomas Kelly, Eric Lormand, Mike Martin, David Papineau, Alison Simmons, Jonathan Vogel, Brian Weatherson and Tim Williamson for helpful comments, and Maja Spener both for those and for suffering through every draft of the material. My biggest debt is to Mark Kaplan, however, who got me interested in the topics of this paper and taught me so much about them. Two referees for Noûs also provided useful feedback. Many thanks to everyone.
Reason and the Grain of Belief*
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2008
© 2008, Copyright the Authors Journal compilation © 2008, Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
Volume 42, Issue 1, pages 139–165, March 2008
How to Cite
Sturgeon, S. (2008), Reason and the Grain of Belief. Noûs, 42: 139–165. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0068.2007.00676.x
- Issue published online: 5 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
If your institution is a registered Wiley Online Library customer, you can log in under your institution's name to see our content. This access is provided by Shibboleth or Athens.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!