We would like to thank Todd Sorensen, Trevor Kollman, Jennifer Yelle, Bill McNerney, Peter Vu, Doug Larue, Josh Easterlin, and Allison Johnson for their invaluable help in organizing and computerizing the data. We are grateful to Martin Feldstein and the National Bureau of Economic Research for financial support of this project. The National Science Foundation provided grant support to fund collection of the data from the New Deal project used in this article. Any analysis and interpretations in the article should not be seen as representing the views of those organizations. We received invaluable advice on earlier versions of this article from several anonymous referees, in presentations at the University of Arizona Economics Department, University of Wales at Swansea, Warwick University, Lehigh University, Columbia University, Oxford University, Seoul National University, McGill University, CEPS-INSTEAD, Harvard Business School, the 2007 Economic History Association Meetings, and from the following people: Manuela Angelucci, Stephen Broadberry, Alan Dye, Alphonso Flores-Lagunes, Claudia Goldin, Bishnupriya Gupta, Knick Harley, Robert Higgs, Kei Hirano, Rick Hornbeck, William Horrace, Jane Humphries, Taylor Jaworski, Shawn Kantor, Robert Margo, Ronald Oaxaca, Anthony O'Brien, Paul Rhode, Todd Sorensen, Richard Sutch, Richard Sylla, John Treble, and John Wallis.
Second World War spending and local economic activity in US counties, 1939–58†
Article first published online: 28 FEB 2013
© Economic History Society 2013
The Economic History Review
Volume 66, Issue 4, pages 975–992, November 2013
How to Cite
Fishback, P. and Cullen, J. A. (2013), Second World War spending and local economic activity in US counties, 1939–58. The Economic History Review, 66: 975–992. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0289.2012.00677.x
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 28 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 22 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 DEC 2011
- Martin Feldstein and the National Bureau of Economic Research
- National Science Foundation
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!