Preliminary versions were presented at the Universities of Basel, U.C. Berkeley, Chicago, Cornell, Harvard, Munich and Pennsylvania. I am grateful for helpful discussion of the underlying issues to Geoffrey Brennan, James Buchanan, Bob Cooter, Hartmut Kliemt, Alan Levy, Richard Musgrave, Daniel Rubinfeld, Fritz Scharpf, Amartya Sen, Oliver Williamson and Gordon Tullock. Psychologists Klaus Foppa, Allan Lind, Kurt Stapf, Wolfgang Stroebe and Tom Tyler gave me helpful hints with respect to their science. For useful and detailed comments on this paper I thank Iris Bohnet, Reiner Eichenberger, Ernst Fehr, Armin Falk, Simon Gächter, Marcel Kucher, Felix Oberholzer-Gee and Jean-Robert Tyran as well as two anonymous referees. I acknowledge financial support from the Swiss National Fund, project no. 12-42480.94.
A CONSTITUTION FOR KNAVES CROWDS OUT CIVIC VIRTUES*
Version of Record online: 27 JAN 2012
Royal Economic Society 1997
The Economic Journal
Volume 107, Issue 443, pages 1043–1053, July 1997
How to Cite
Frey, B. S. (1997), A CONSTITUTION FOR KNAVES CROWDS OUT CIVIC VIRTUES. The Economic Journal, 107: 1043–1053. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.1997.tb00006.x
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 27 JAN 2012
- Date of receipt of final typescript: August 1996
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!