This research was conducted at the Institute for Posts and Telecommunications Policy of the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications, Tokyo, Japan. The authors are grateful to Norihiro Kasuga, Toshiyuki Miyaji, and Naoto Yokota for earlier collaborative work and to Hirofumi Akagi, James Albrecht, Yoshibumi Asö, Susan Collins, Paul Evans, Tatsuo Hatta, Hiroaki Hayakawa, Takatoshi Itöo, Yasushi Iwamoto, Yoshitaka Kamitani, Ken'ichi Kanie, Donald Katzner, Yukinobu Kitamura, Kiyoshi Kuga, Atsushi Maki, Toshiyuki Mizoguchi, Chikashi Moriguchi, Keiko Murata, Jiröo Nemoto, Kazuo Ogawa, Fumio Ohtake, Kiyoshi öoOta, Hugh Patrick, Tatsuyoshi Saijöoo, Makoto Saitöoo, Miki Seko, Keiko Shimono, Toshiaki Tachibanaki, Douglas Vickers, seminar participants at the Biwako Conference, Chūbu University, Georgetown University, the Institute for Posts and Telecommunications Policy of the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications of the Government of Japan, the Japan Association of Economics and Econometrics, the Japan Economic Seminar, Osaka University, and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, two anonymous referees, and the Managing Editor of this Journal for their insightful comments. Any errors and omissions are the sole responsibility of the authors, and any views expressed herein are those of the authors alone and should not be attributed to the National Bureau of Economic Research or any other organisation.
WHY DO PEOPLE SAVE? A MICRO-ANALYSIS OF MOTIVES FOR HOUSEHOLD SAVING IN JAPAN*
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2012
Royal Economic Society 1997
The Economic Journal
Volume 107, Issue 442, pages 537–552, May 1997
How to Cite
Horioka, C. Y. and Watanabe, W. (1997), WHY DO PEOPLE SAVE? A MICRO-ANALYSIS OF MOTIVES FOR HOUSEHOLD SAVING IN JAPAN. The Economic Journal, 107: 537–552. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.1997.tb00026.x
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2012
- Date of receipt of final typescript: June 1996
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!