The first author was with the University of Zurich as well as with the University of Saarland. Death came to him after submitting the first draft of this paper. We will not forget Werner. The remaining coauthors tried to finalise the paper in close coincidence with this first draft. This paper was part of a broader research project, conducted in cooperation with Bruno S. Frey and Felix Oberholzer-Gee, both of the University of Zurich. The Swiss National Foundation (Nationalfonds Grant No. 12–25581.88) as well as the Federal Ministry of Forestry and Environment (BUWAL) provided generous financial support. The ZUMA society in Mannheim with its specific expertise in administering surveys supported the design of the underlying survey questionnaire, so that potential problems with the wording could, from a psychologist's viewpoint, be eliminated prior to implementation. The questionnaire design was also influenced by Anselm U. Römer. Helpful research assistance was provided by Astrid Bachmann, Julia Ortmann, and Bodo G. Schirra. Geoffrey H. Brennan, Leonard Dudley, Reiner Eichenberger, Lars P. Feld, Susanne Krebs, Louis Lévy-Garboua, Gordon Tullock, and Erich Weede inspired us by giving useful comments on the first draft of the paper. We would also like to thank Howard Kunreuther and an anonymous referee for their comments on the final version of the paper.
TRAGIC CHOICES AND COLLECTIVE DECISION-MAKING: AN EMPIRICAL STUDY OF VOTER PREFERENCES FOR ALTERNATIVE COLLECTIVE DECISION-MAKING MECHANISMS*
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2012
Royal Economic Society 1997
The Economic Journal
Volume 107, Issue 442, pages 618–635, May 1997
How to Cite
Pommerehne, W. W., Hart, A. and Schneider, F. (1997), TRAGIC CHOICES AND COLLECTIVE DECISION-MAKING: AN EMPIRICAL STUDY OF VOTER PREFERENCES FOR ALTERNATIVE COLLECTIVE DECISION-MAKING MECHANISMS. The Economic Journal, 107: 618–635. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.1997.tb00030.x
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2012
- Date of receipt of final typescript: July 1996
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!